Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-30-2014, 04:13 PM

Default where are the problem bears at?

Just thought I would let guys hunting in Bergen along the little red deer river know that there is a grizzly with 2 cubs fallowing people down there, best have a hunting buddy and a good sized cal rifle.

Maybe the same one the fish&game flame they got that killed that bow hunter a few years back or maybe one of her cubs? They are only a few kms south of where they found that hunter.
Old 10-30-2014, 04:26 PM

Default 300 win mag

I went out hunting for the first time this year...then I came across some bear tracks....freaked me out.....took one trip to cabelas and got myself a 300 win mag.....ever since...mr 300 comes along all the time...just in case.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:16 PM

Default Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhunterjp View Post
I went out hunting for the first time this year...then I came across some bear tracks....freaked me out.....took one trip to cabelas and got myself a 300 win mag.....ever since...mr 300 comes along all the time...just in case.
..... So what were you hunting with before?..,
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 10-30-2014, 10:56 PM

Whoah! My in laws have an acreage that backs down onto the river out there. We were doing some skeet shooting out there a few weeks ago and found some fresh bear scat, wonder if it was from these bears you speak of....
Old 10-31-2014, 05:55 AM

There has been three bears in that area, one larger grizz and a couple of 3+ yr olds. Just throwing something out there that bow hunter that lost his life to that sow and cubs did not have permission on that property. Always let someone know exactly were your going to be.
Old 10-31-2014, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruttnbuckcojack View Post
There has been three bears in that area, one larger grizz and a couple of 3+ yr olds. Just throwing something out there that bow hunter that lost his life to that sow and cubs did not have permission on that property. Always let someone know exactly were your going to be.
Was that not the Esso/Mobil property?
Old 10-31-2014, 09:51 AM

Default Bear gun

Carry as big a gun as you like but Bear Spray has been proven to be more effective! Learn bear behaviour and what bear spray can do. Good luck.
Old 10-31-2014, 11:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Eldon View Post
Carry as big a gun as you like but Bear Spray has been proven to be more effective! Learn bear behaviour and what bear spray can do. Good luck.
Always one of you.. Lol.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:54 PM

north end of 406 has a couple as per the F&W sign
Old 10-31-2014, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Male Cattle Manure!....
Old 10-31-2014, 01:18 PM

Lots of bear this year in that neck of the woods.
Old 10-31-2014, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Have you ever sprayed a bear spray canister??? The range on them is pretty pathetic! 5-10 yards max! Have you ever seen a grizzly charge? They cover ground incredibly fast, even if you got the bear dead in the face at 10 yards I would think it would still get ahold of you and do some damage.
Old 10-31-2014, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
Have you ever sprayed a bear spray canister??? The range on them is pretty pathetic! 5-10 yards max! Have you ever seen a grizzly charge? They cover ground incredibly fast, even if you got the bear dead in the face at 10 yards I would think it would still get ahold of you and do some damage.
Same argument can be used against a gun. You get a gun into action and shoot accurately with a bear bearing down you.
Old 10-31-2014, 05:01 PM

No place safe around here anymore, strange for an animal that is supposed to be exceedingly rare.

Grizz
Old 10-31-2014, 06:26 PM

Just got my Bear Smart report. Sounds like the same area Robert Wagner was killed in. That sow was destroyed and her cubs were relocated to some mysterious place. Gotta wonder if this is a return performance by family members.

Grizz
Old 11-02-2014, 03:26 AM

Read the Bear Spray study. It was an American study where you can use Bear Spray with the active ingredient making up to 10% of the contents.
Now read the label on the can you buy in Canada. Maximum active ingredient is 1%, and a lot of the stuff you buy here is .75%. Not even close to what was used in the study.

Try it out sometime. And by the way, the study concluded the spray was effective in 90% of the cases where it was used.

That means ten people out of a hundred did not have a happy ending.
Old 11-15-2014, 10:29 AM

All I know is there's LOTS of grizzly bears out there. Friend was hunting for a week south of GP and saw 11 different grizz.
Saw more grizz than moose. Numbers are high.
Bring back the LEH!!
Old 11-15-2014, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinchaga View Post
Read the Bear Spray study. It was an American study where you can use Bear Spray with the active ingredient making up to 10% of the contents.
Now read the label on the can you buy in Canada. Maximum active ingredient is 1%, and a lot of the stuff you buy here is .75%. Not even close to what was used in the study.

Try it out sometime. And by the way, the study concluded the spray was effective in 90% of the cases where it was used.

To further your point, what are the odds of survival using bear spray with less than 1/10 of the capsaicin used in the study that proved 90% effective...

I pack spray but if it came down to it I'd take my chances with the .308. I was charged in August by a young brown bear and at 150 ft, I had maybe 6 seconds to defend myself, it moved that fast. Luckily he was bluffing because I wouldn't have had a chance with any sort of deterrent. Scary.

Last edited by Girvin; 11-15-2014 at 10:56 AM.
Old 11-15-2014, 03:52 PM
Banned

Re; topic title....Sleeping would be my guess?
....probly dreaming about eating trout anglers garnished with pepper come April,haha
Old 11-15-2014, 06:09 PM

Latest Bearsmart here claims they're hibernating except possibly for the occasional large Grizzly boar, no sightings since Oct. 28. Better still be careful out there.

Grizz
Old 11-15-2014, 06:13 PM

Default fresh tracks in snow

My hunting partners found fresh tracks in snow last Wednesday in Porcupine Hills. Pretty sure it was a black and not a grizz by size of rear foot and short claws
rob
Old 11-16-2014, 10:54 AM

If you go in the bush there are bears and if it freaks you out stay out of the bush. Just because you did not see sign does not mean they are not there.

All you can do is use your head. You can carry protection spray or firearm and neither is 100% if poop hit's the fan.

Odds are you will crash your truck before a bear attacks you.

My self I say don't stress about it
Old 11-16-2014, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinchaga View Post

I'm afraid you are misinformed, nowhere can you buy bear spray with 10% capsaicin conent. You are right that in Canada 1% is max while south of the boarder you can find it as high as 2% but that's it.
There are other active ingredients in bear spray than capsaicin. When they talk about 10% active ingredients only 1 or 2 % is capsaicin the other 8 or 9 % are other ingredients while 90% is propellant.
The bear spray available in Canada is more than effective for bear defence. Wound a charging grizzly ( bluff charge or not ) and it will not end well for you. What you do when you have a close encounter with a grizzly is your business and not for anybody else to judge ( except maybe in a court of law ) but make your decisions on accurate information.
Old 11-16-2014, 03:28 PM

Seen quite a few Grizzlies, never had a problem, so I carry bangers and spray in the summer, and sometimes spray this time of year (when I think of it).

The G bears are still out and about -- I saw fresh tracks in 406 this afternoon.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 11-17-2014, 10:51 PM

How would a 50.cal do against a charging bear from 20 yards? i would think a 12 gauge shotgun with lightfield sabot slugs would have the most knock down power against a charging bear

Last edited by JordanBelfort; 11-17-2014 at 10:58 PM.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Latest Bearsmart here claims they're hibernating except possibly for the occasional large Grizzly boar, no sightings since Oct. 28. Better still be careful out there.

Grizz

A VERY large grizzly boar was shot West of Sundre last weekend right on the Williams Creek road, in the ditch, probably doing some last minute foraging on grass. F&W have apprehended the culprits and have salvaged the bear. I haven't seen any media reports yet but I am sure there will be.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:27 AM

Or maybe no media. With the bear killing this year and abundant sightings, maybe their "endeared" status is waning?
Old 11-28-2014, 10:36 PM

Default .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Just got my Bear Smart report. Sounds like the same area Robert Wagner was killed in. That sow was destroyed and her cubs were relocated to some mysterious place. Gotta wonder if this is a return performance by family members.

Grizz

Good chance its them, they probably had a few good bites of that guy too, personaly I think they should have had the same treatment
Old 11-28-2014, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekred View Post
Male Cattle Manure!....
Lmao ..... I'm tired and took me a while. Good one.
Old 11-28-2014, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinnordegg View Post
A VERY large grizzly boar was shot West of Sundre last weekend right on the Williams Creek road, in the ditch, probably doing some last minute foraging on grass. F&W have apprehended the culprits and have salvaged the bear. I haven't seen any media reports yet but I am sure there will be.
I'd be willing to bet that you won't..........