Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-30-2014, 08:56 PM

Default Letting your buddies on your hunting land ?

Looking for some feed back, if you have some great spots for hunting And you already have some other guys hunting it with you, is it wrong not to let others on the property considering it's not yours to give permission too? Also if you have been very succesful killing good deer from these properties will it be smart to tell Other guys to go ahead and hunt them. Remember these parcels of land are no more than a single quarter or 80 acres will more pressure on these properties lower my chances of affectively harvesting nice deer year after year im also only hunting archery.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:00 PM

Howdy.
Unless it is YOUR property you cannot give permission to anyone to hunt it.
Cat
Old 10-30-2014, 09:01 PM

I don't hunt properties I was shown unless the guy who showed me tells me it's cool or we gained permission together.

I treat each instance as a "one of" and I don't return on my own.

Good spots are good for a reason....and a good hunting partner knows and understands that.

LC
Old 10-30-2014, 09:09 PM

You've done all the work getting permission and working on the relationships with the land owner. Besides like Cat said if it's not yours it's not your place to grant permission. Sounds like your problem is one side is not understanding the "hunting rules" as far as this goes.
And like Lefty said as well you don't hunt a property unless you got permission together or your buddy says it's cool. In which case you will still need to gain permission to hunt that land from the land owner.
That's how I feel about it.,
Old 10-30-2014, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I don't hunt properties I was shown unless the guy who showed me tells me it's cool or we gained permission together.

Good spots are good for a reason....and a good hunting partner knows and understands that.

LC
X2
Old 10-30-2014, 09:32 PM

I wouldn't do it. I did it once and the next weekend and years after, the guy took a whole bunch of his friends and family out there and then those guys did the same thing. Never again.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:36 PM

If you're not with me to ask permission from the land owner you're not coming out.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:38 PM

Quote:

LC
This. If more guys would do this some of the honey holes wouldn't be crawling with hunters.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:49 PM

if it isn't yours to give permission to then it isn't your decision who hunts on the land
Old 10-30-2014, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Howdy.
Unless it is YOUR property you cannot give permission to anyone to hunt it.
Cat
yup
Old 10-30-2014, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
If you're not with me to ask permission from the land owner you're not coming out.
Right on!

And I don't go showing up at places I've been taken to.
Fair is fair.

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 10-30-2014, 11:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucks100 View Post
Looking for some feed back, if you have some great spots for hunting And you already have some other guys hunting it with you, is it wrong not to let others on the property considering it's not yours to give permission too? Also if you have been very succesful killing good deer from these properties will it be smart to tell Other guys to go ahead and hunt them. Remember these parcels of land are no more than a single quarter or 80 acres will more pressure on these properties lower my chances of affectively harvesting nice deer year after year im also only hunting archery.
You are scum if you go behind your partner and go hunt his spots. I know I would make your hunts less than good if you did that to me. I know you would loose a friend and probably your teeth. But hey that is just me. I love the new account here to ask if what you did is ok. Get a life and get your own hunting spots. Ok B and G.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:54 PM
Banned

Default spots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanium79 View Post
You are scum if you go behind your partner and go hunt his spots. I know I would make your hunts less than good if you did that to me. I know you would loose a friend and probably your teeth. But hey that is just me. I love the new account here to ask if what you did is ok. Get a life and get your own hunting spots. Ok B and G.
Agreed. But, both are first posts, are you argueing with yourself? Classic. Where I have permission for big game, either family or landowner contact, I now tell guys they can only go in with me there. I don't want anything screwed up for me in the future. Too many things can happen, road hunter does something stupid the same day you let a buddy go in, who do you think the landowner is going to blame? Then you're both out. Unless my buddy has a decent relationship with landowner as well but no permission yet, not worth the risk IMHO. Cheers

Last edited by SBE2; 10-30-2014 at 11:56 PM. Reason: grammer
Old 10-30-2014, 11:57 PM
Banned

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll be in your favorite fishing hole with all his friends the next time you go there.

Then brag about it on Facebook with gps co-ordinates.

Same rules apply to hunting.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBE2 View Post
Agreed. But, both are first posts, are you argueing with yourself? Classic. Where I have permission for big game, either family or landowner contact, I now tell guys they can only go in with me there. I don't want anything screwed up for me in the future. Too many things can happen, road hunter does something stupid the same day you let a buddy go in, who do you think the landowner is going to blame? Then you're both out. Unless my buddy has a decent relationship with landowner as well but no permission yet, not worth the risk IMHO. Cheers
I am not arguing with myself. I am with the original op as he did this to me. He is to slow to see what he thinks is ok is not period.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll be in your favorite fishing hole with all his friends the next time you go there.

True to a point but how does anybody ever have a hunting or fishing partner if we acted like this. So people just need to respect others and the spots.
Old 10-31-2014, 04:53 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Loose lips sink ships...you worked for it, you deserve it so happy hunting on the secret spot!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-31-2014, 04:53 AM

I have taken people to some places that I hunt on public land but not my best spots. What I have found is that when these people got more experience and spots of their own they did not shore with me. So now I only take family.

Private land is another issue and depends on how generous the land owner was with their permission.
Old 10-31-2014, 04:54 AM

This is exactly what my sister in law's boyfriend is doing. He's getting permission from a lot of people, including myself, then about 5 of his buddies seem to show up. Pretty frustrating.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranch11 View Post
This is exactly what my sister in law's boyfriend is doing. He's getting permission from a lot of people, including myself, then about 5 of his buddies seem to show up. Pretty frustrating.
I'd be telling him to hit the road until he realizes that it is just HIM you gave permission to!
Cat
Old 10-31-2014, 07:07 AM

The other thing I might add is I do not show other people a spot I was shown by someone else....that's the best way to lose/ruin a spot, an exception would be taking my wife or child with me....because they won't return without me being there.

LC
Old 10-31-2014, 07:11 AM

Quote:
So what's the real story here? If you care to share.

LC
Old 10-31-2014, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucks100 View Post
If you want to hunt a parcel of land go do some door knocking. Do not assume because you buddy has a great piece to hunt that you should be granted permission as well. It's not his to give permission to or deny to. But if there are already guys hunting the property too bad for you, move on and figure out a new chunk of land.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:56 AM

Quote:
I am not arguing with myself. I am with the original op as he did this to me. He is to slow to see what he thinks is ok is not period.
So you wont let him hunt with you, and he's mad, or he won't offer to take you with him, and your mad??
Old 10-31-2014, 08:05 AM

If you freely give out information to a bunch of friends that's awesome! It has been my experience that you will soon have many, many friends. Right up til its time to do something for the landowner or scout new spots or any other day to day chore you may require help with. You will then find out just how many "friends" you really have. If you are ok with this kind of behaviour - let's be friends!
Old 10-31-2014, 08:54 AM

Sorry for the confusion im the guy with permission and I have buddies who are mad at me and say I should be taking them too my spots to kill big deer.
Old 10-31-2014, 09:13 AM

Then you are in the right, you have the permission not your buddies. And you can't give permission, so it's pretty simple. If they want to hunt the land they need to go pound the leather and do the door knocking.
Its pretty black and white actually, not sure why this other guy thinks what your doing is wrong?
Old 10-31-2014, 09:21 AM

I have several land owners that give me permission every year. I take the time to go and speak with them in person. I also speak with them regarding access for my father and nephew. Its allways a good idea to make sure access and rules are clear beforehand. Last year when I spoke with the land owner I explained my nephew was trying for his first deer he closed off access to one pocket field so he could have an uninterrupted hunt. It was awsome. One evening hunt and a first 2x3 buck was harvested. I then went to his home with my nephew to make sure he thanked the land owner himself. Went over very well. When I stopped by this year we all had access no issue. If a buddy wants to hunt he can get off the couch and ask. Have a safe fall good luck tomorrow.
Old 10-31-2014, 09:56 AM

It's against man-code to return to a spot another hunter has shown you without him.

Same with good fishing holes.

Unless, the return visit sans yourself was the point of the you showing the other hunter/fisherman the area.

Never ask, it puts guys on the spot.

My honey holes have come at the cost of about $30 000 in fuel over 20 years.

Plus countless doors slammed in my face.

Pretty sure these guys are not going to be digging out their cheque books.

Try to hunt with kin. At least if they nuke your secret spot you can forgive them for it!
Old 10-31-2014, 10:06 AM

Quote:

LC
Yep...this should be printed on the back of every man card

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505

Ive met this guy...still consider him a good friend...but don't answer calls or texts in November. He got the hint eventually.