Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-30-2014, 11:38 PM

Default Wall tents

Hey guys, just wondering how many of you use a wall tent for hunt camps and do you set up early and leave it unattended.
I am considering a purchase and would set it up ahead of the season. Would someone have gall to steal it? Would love to go this route but am leary about theft etc.
All thoughts much appreciated!
Old 10-30-2014, 11:49 PM

Now days i personally would never intentionally leave anything of value in the bush. Trail camera? Maybe, its just not worth the risk of a 1100$+ peice of equipment being stolen or vandalized.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:56 PM

I would not risk it there are way to many d bags.
I had one stolen from the bush when i ran to town overnight for supplies.
The p.o.s took the stove ,some gear and a kayak i had hidden in the trees well out of sight from camp.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:10 AM

I had mine stolen several years ago. Not a very nice feeling. Now I use a cargo trailer. Certainly not as handy or as warm as the tent though.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:30 AM

got to go deeper in the bush guys, i have left wall tents unattended for months at a time and never had an issue.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:57 AM

We set up and then take down after our trip. I would not leave it set up being gone for extended days at a time during hntng seasn winter I have left out tent set up from December to mid April for sledding in the mountains. No issues then as there are tons of camps then
Old 10-31-2014, 08:29 AM

I think it really depends on the area you choose to set up in. Some guys think setting up in remote areas is best, whereas others would say there's less eyes on it to deter theives. I feel like if you find a good area, the regular hunting crowd does a great job of self-policing. Obviously some of the gear you take out (generators, packs, etc), should probably go home when you go home.

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:49 AM

Default wall tent

We have left wall tents for weeks in past . Law now you need to move after 2 weeks. We never had problem with normal 2 legged thieves but always set up way back in the bush. However this year bear ate all of our food, ate raid can and bear spray. He even drank our bottle of rye. Out third encounter with bears in about 40 years.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:52 AM

I think ANYBODY who would go into another mans camp and steal anything is nothing more then a scum sucking turd...period...and should be locked up to never see daylight again....Just saying!

Jim
Old 10-31-2014, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearski View Post
Hey guys, just wondering how many of you use a wall tent for hunt camps and do you set up early and leave it unattended.
I am considering a purchase and would set it up ahead of the season. Would someone have gall to steal it? Would love to go this route but am leary about theft etc.
All thoughts much appreciated!
Park by a road or just off it and expect it to be gone or at least the contents Imo. My moose camp is 12 plus kms by quad from the nearest road in the back of a grown in cut block. You can't even see the blue tarp from the cutline anymore as the alders have grown up. Even so, the only thing that stays behind is the stove and pipe and some misc stuff that is of no use but for the tent. Everything else goes home and comes back out the next time. On years we have a draw, it goes up in late sept, comes out last weekend of October. Didn't do a moose camp this Oct Maybe do one in Nov.