Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-28-2014, 08:45 PM

Great advise flowing here. I find a soft buck grunt hides a multitude is sins while still hunting. I'm a stand hunter though
Old 10-28-2014, 09:28 PM

Its hard for me to do, but get into a good spot and sit down and wait.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
Great advise flowing here. I find a soft buck grunt hides a multitude is sins while still hunting. I'm a stand hunter though
What exactly u mean?
Old 10-29-2014, 07:56 AM

I've been hunting most of my life, usually with great success but just recently I spoke with a world famous photographer on how he gets so close to animals year round. He said most of what others on this thread are saying, slow, take your time. look around, yada yada yada. All great and tried advice. These were things that were not new to me and I was already doing. But what he said different was two things. 1) When stalking he doesn't move in cadence. Humans walk left-right-left-right, over and over. His theory is that animals do not walk in cadence. They always stop sot smell the flowers so to speak. He reccomended to walk 5 steps, stand still and listen for 10 seconds. walk 8 steps, stand still listen for 30 seconds, ect. It's slow going and took some time to adjust but has paid off. I don't alwyas see cankers but I deffenitely see more critters than I used too!

2) He swore that he spends as much time looking behind himself than he does looking farward. Another theory of his is that if you are indeed quiet enough then there is no reason why the animals shouldn't come out after you've passed.

Over the past few years I've slowly started to incorperte these things into my stalking. Take it of leave it. I've noticed more but that could just be me.

One thing that I don't worry about is what alot freak over. This might get me fried but I've tested (with tracking and drug sniffer dogs) this theory. Smell! No matter how much you spray yourself down with all the fancy spray you will get nailed if the wind is NOT in your favour! And thats with the common Canine. Wild aninals like deer, coyotes and other critters have far better sniffers than domestic critters. Or atleast know how to use them better! I know a lot of old boys that sit in tree stands who smoke cagarettes and cigars and always fill there freezer. If it gives you a good feeling and allows you to hunt better then have at'er. Personally I'd seuggest save your money.
Old 10-29-2014, 08:34 AM

A big one for me is to pay attention! Remember that you're hunting! So many times I've been heading to a spot and i start thinking, get side tracked in my thoughts and start walking faster and louder. I've spooked so many dang deer.....

If i had been quiet and paying attention, id have seen them.
Old 10-29-2014, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhunterjp View Post
What exactly u mean?
Simply having a buck grunt tube hanging around your neck. Give it a grunt once in a while maybe 5-10 mins apart. That way if something hears ya walking it disguises you as a deer, not a predator.
Old 10-29-2014, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
Simply having a buck grunt tube hanging around your neck. Give it a grunt once in a while maybe 5-10 mins apart. That way if something hears ya walking it disguises you as a deer, not a predator.
That works sometimes. But I've also noticed that in some parts of the year many deer aren't receptive to a grunt and will actually flee when they hear it. But I guess it's better than responding in human 'Don't worry Bambi, I'm not going to hurt you.'
Old 10-29-2014, 09:00 AM

Having a goal in mind will help when the time comes to pull the trigger. Whether it's "if it's brown it's down" any buck or a class of buck. To see a 130 class and raise your rifle to it knowing it's a 130 class and wanting a 150 or better will usually bust you . Especially earlier in the season when bucks are still in bachelor groups. There are usually more eyes than you think or can see. Patientice is a virtue for sure , but so is knowing what you're there for and taking it the second that it presents itself
Old 10-29-2014, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramonmark View Post
I've been hunting most of my life, usually with great success but just recently I spoke with a world famous photographer on how he gets so close to animals year round. He said most of what others on this thread are saying, slow, take your time. look around, yada yada yada. All great and tried advice. These were things that were not new to me and I was already doing. But what he said different was two things. 1) When stalking he doesn't move in cadence. Humans walk left-right-left-right, over and over. His theory is that animals do not walk in cadence. They always stop sot smell the flowers so to speak. He reccomended to walk 5 steps, stand still and listen for 10 seconds. walk 8 steps, stand still listen for 30 seconds, ect. It's slow going and took some time to adjust but has paid off. I don't alwyas see cankers but I deffenitely see more critters than I used too!

2) He swore that he spends as much time looking behind himself than he does looking farward. Another theory of his is that if you are indeed quiet enough then there is no reason why the animals shouldn't come out after you've passed.

Over the past few years I've slowly started to incorperte these things into my stalking. Take it of leave it. I've noticed more but that could just be me.

One thing that I don't worry about is what alot freak over. This might get me fried but I've tested (with tracking and drug sniffer dogs) this theory. Smell! No matter how much you spray yourself down with all the fancy spray you will get nailed if the wind is NOT in your favour! And thats with the common Canine. Wild aninals like deer, coyotes and other critters have far better sniffers than domestic critters. Or atleast know how to use them better! I know a lot of old boys that sit in tree stands who smoke cagarettes and cigars and always fill there freezer. If it gives you a good feeling and allows you to hunt better then have at'er. Personally I'd seuggest save your money.
x100, one of my uncle is a very successful still hunter in an area with low deer density and he does everything you said, without camo and sent blocker (these were invented to make money)

I tried all he taught me, but I don't have the patience to succeed

like somebody said earlier, if you think you're going slow, slow down
Old 10-29-2014, 12:35 PM

Haven't read all the replies, so sorry of these tips are repeats.

Wind is always the first step for me. Walk into it. Do the heel-toe walk, very slowly, careful not to step on twigs or dry leaves. I stop every 10 steps or so and watch/listen for a while. Its a slow marathon, not a sprint.

One thing that I've learned about hunting, and it always amazes me, is that the action will happen when you least expect it. So be ready, always.
Old 10-29-2014, 01:00 PM

Animals walk a bit, then stop and look/listen. Do the same. I also have been getting great results using a doe bleat as I move through bush (BC coast) and it seems to put animals at ease as to whats making the crunch noises.
Old 10-29-2014, 02:13 PM

Default move like a wolf

I guess the best approach then would be to act and move like a wolf....except we don't have the amazing hearing and smell
Old 10-29-2014, 02:55 PM

Something to keep in mind and I imagine everyone will not agree. If you ever listen to deer in the woods they make noise and so will you. Try this watch some video see how deer move step wise try to walk like a deer and not like a human. On top of that scent control, move slow, play the wind, camo up. Try to wear camo that matches the ground for pants and what matches the trees for jacket it is ok to mix and match.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:27 PM

Default single or multiple

Do all of the above tip only apply when you ate hunting alone...or do it vary if hunting with a buddy....or does it get more tactical in nature
Old 11-02-2014, 08:47 AM

Most still hunters work alone. It's possible to do it with two or more but it's even more difficult.

I agree with the posters who say scent blockers and camo are over-rated. Game will smell you if they get your wind regardless of your steps to control your scent. Your main plan is to don't let them get your wind. And sometimes even if they get your wind it won't matter. Animals are individuals the same as humans. While most will run from human scent others will actually be curious and approach. Especially whitetail bucks in the rut, I've had them walk right up to me.

Camo is only effective in breaking up large blocks of uniform colour. In the open that's a reasonable thing to do, but in the bush deer or other game will rarely get to see all of you, the same as you will not usually see all of them. You see pieces. I think it's more important to wear fabrics and other gear that never make an unusual sound. You can't totally avoid brushing against stuff, make sure when you do there is no "swish" or "clank". Nylon and even jeans are bad. Soft fabrics are great. I even wrap my gun in these, anything to avoid that un-natural sound.

As other posters said, still hunting only works when you are in habitat likely to hold game. You can't cover a lot of ground, so pick your spots to maximize your chances.

There are two approaches to use. One (my preference) is to be silent and see the game before they see you. This works well if animals are bedded or moving around. It's called still hunting because most of the time you are still. That way you can look around and often I hear animals moving toward me (or away if I blew it). Two is to make noise but try to imitate an animal. This works too but I personally have had less success using it.

My last tip is to choose your conditions. If there are dry leaves or crunchy snow you are going to have lower success. It's just too noisy. On the other hand, days with wet leaves, soft snow, high winds, or other conditions that make it easy to be silent, or that mask your noises, are the days I go still hunting. If not I try other methods.
Old 11-03-2014, 04:18 PM

Excellent advice on this thread. I was wondering anyone would care to add anything about how one could also be proactive in bear and cougar country while quietly stalking? Or is this just more of an assumed risk? I'm planning to carry spray and a rifle of course, but any further suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 11-03-2014, 05:08 PM

If I am stalking I wear felt liners over my boots.. also if you have calls around your neck..... well dont have more than one.

On the topic of funnels and tree stands this is my setup.
Zeds are bedding. Black is the trails. That massive open area is grass and a large pond.

X is the stand. Everything in the red is dead.

Old 11-03-2014, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhunterjp View Post
thanks man; on another note: can you please shed some light on choosing a spot....to be honest with you the only reason why I picked my particular spot was because upon arriving there...I immediately saw 2 deer running away, then coming back also saw another one.... and my second time I did had a clear shot at one as it stop for a second to wait for its partner to catch up and I quickly got ready...however my adrenaline and taking a shot while standing up and heavly breathing made me miss by a hair
I think maybe you skipped over something important here. "What were the deer doing where you saw them?" Feeding, travelling or bedding? This is typical of the 1000's of little lessons you will learn by watching your surroundings every trip. What can you learn from the spot? What were they eating? Where could they see a predator (you) approaching? Was it a water source? Why were they at THAT spot?

EVERY sign, no matter how small should teach you one more tip. They have sharp senses and instinct, but you can think things through (take a knee ......nevermind, wrong thread). Prey animals need food, water and security and spend most of their time seeking them out, rut excluded.

Good luck JP. Its pretty rewarding when you get it right.
Old 11-03-2014, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGuard84 View Post
Excellent advice on this thread. I was wondering anyone would care to add anything about how one could also be proactive in bear and cougar country while quietly stalking? Or is this just more of an assumed risk? I'm planning to carry spray and a rifle of course, but any further suggestions would be appreciated.
You will be surprised what else you sneak up on besides what you are hunting! I have had several encounters with bears, including twice grizzlies. Fortunately both times i saw them first and backed out of there with them none the wiser. There were probably many others where they got me first and just left. Followed a cougar around in the snow once, never saw it. But I found where it had sat to watch me, and where it had followed me while I was following it. Be alert and you will be OK. Most things you don't want to bump into are just as interested in making sure they don't bump into you.

Best story was the day I went to find one of my radio-collared black bears, he was in a pocket of thick brush around a small pond, surrounded by grassland. I had my headphones on listening to the radio signal. When you get really close you take the cable off the antenna, and if you can still hear the signal you are usually within about 30 m or so. I could hear him but I couldn't see my bear anywhere. So I slipped the headphones and some sixth sense told me to look up. There was bruin lying on a big Douglas fir branch about 3 m over my head, catching the afternoon breeze and wondering what that crazy biologist was up to this time. It seems that deer aren't the only critters that don't look up.
Old 11-04-2014, 10:31 AM

Great tips here!
Old 11-04-2014, 10:46 AM

Default experience

I only got the weekend to go hunting and given that this season is almost over all of this info is going to come in handy for next year. But I'm going to try fox creek as Drayton valley seems heavily pressed and animal sights are very slim.
Old 11-04-2014, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo Snukkle View Post
Better if you quit this hunting business now. If you're already frustrated at this stage of the game no advice is gonna do you much good.
Ignore that. You're doing the right thing by asking for help.

Frustration, followed by evaluation, investigation, deliberation, and perspiration = celebration.

My only advice (I used to feel exactly like you, only there was no internet back then)...and when I asked older uncles etc, was just to sit tight in a good spot, and let them come to you...but I was too impatient for that...for a long time.
As years go by, I realize that was darn good advice. I've adapted my technique to spending my time finding where the deer travel, and setting up and waiting.

When I do get impatient, or just simply feel like a good old spot and stalk for the fun of it...

- don't even bother when it's quiet out...use the noise of the forest (wind blowing trees and leaves) to cover the sound you'll surely be making on a quiet day. Still try and be as silent as possible though...as others have said..SLOW!

I love spot and stalk, I limit my efforts to "noisy" days with some wind, or at least a breeze.

That having been said, my success rate is way higher "still" hunting...or just staying in 1 spot.

That's for WT's....with mulies, i believe spot and stalk is more effective, but I haven't nearly the same amount of experience with mule deer.
Old 11-04-2014, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Jay View Post
You will be surprised what else you sneak up on besides what you are hunting! I have had several encounters with bears, including twice grizzlies. Fortunately both times i saw them first and backed out of there with them none the wiser. There were probably many others where they got me first and just left. Followed a cougar around in the snow once, never saw it. But I found where it had sat to watch me, and where it had followed me while I was following it. Be alert and you will be OK. Most things you don't want to bump into are just as interested in making sure they don't bump into you.

Best story was the day I went to find one of my radio-collared black bears, he was in a pocket of thick brush around a small pond, surrounded by grassland. I had my headphones on listening to the radio signal. When you get really close you take the cable off the antenna, and if you can still hear the signal you are usually within about 30 m or so. I could hear him but I couldn't see my bear anywhere. So I slipped the headphones and some sixth sense told me to look up. There was bruin lying on a big Douglas fir branch about 3 m over my head, catching the afternoon breeze and wondering what that crazy biologist was up to this time. It seems that deer aren't the only critters that don't look up.
Thanks for your response, I enjoyed picturing these scenarios, especially the relaxing bear curiously watching your moves. I guess I just recall the sheep hunter recently and wonder if it's just an assumed risk kind of thing, after accounting for the usual precautions.

I have started to do more solo hunts, so it has become more of a concern without the readily available backup of a second high power, close range setup in the party. I recall a recent story of the tandem approach saving a guy recently as well, despite taking one of the shots himself.

Thanks again for the insight, I will take those thoughts with me.
Old 11-04-2014, 04:24 PM

Default deer stalking

Hunt the days with the worst weather ,strong winds, rain, , blizzards these bad days gives the hunter the edge he may need to sneak up on a deer, a good strong wind is great,deer are spocky when their nose and ears are not in their favor and go slow with a drag sent and and spray your hunting gear and leave it in a air tight container overnight with a good scent off choice and put it on when your ready to hit the bush not when you leave the house ,outside of your truck in your hunting area, and always look behind or even double back, if your human scent is masked well enough and stop often because a good buck can cross your trail and start to follow your scent trail ,but most of all go slow and enjoy your hunt.