Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-30-2014, 10:28 AM

Default Road Kill

in 2008 13300 deer in traffic accidents/insurance claims

I always wonder how many don't get reported

out here we have some roads like Willow Creek(lease) or ANC road(lease) that have more traffic than the highway

the bigger trucks out here wouldn't even get a bend in bumper for most deer

here is one the other day at km 35 Willow Creek

what are you all see in road kill?

David

Old 10-30-2014, 12:21 PM

That would make a fine euro mount! Or a nice set of rattling antlers
Old 10-30-2014, 12:29 PM
Banned

when i went to saskatchewan last time it seems as soon as you cross the border there is road kill every couple hundred meters especially deer
Old 10-30-2014, 12:38 PM

With all the traffic on those roads north of Hinton any animal crossing the road stands a good chance of getting hit.
Bucks are having to travel a lot more during rut season these days, which will equate to more road kill.
Old 10-30-2014, 01:30 PM
Banned

That buck doesn't look all that damaged, did you salvage it, David? If it's fresh and not too banged up it tastes the same as one killed with a bullet.....LOL!

I'm starting to look for roadkill for my coyote bait piles but there aren't a lot in this area......YET! Once the bucks start chasing the does there are plenty but until then, not too many. A big old moose roadkill would be nice to come across about now.
Old 10-30-2014, 01:43 PM

Saw a nice bull moose dead on the side of 28 north of henday and I thought about going back to cut the antlers off. When I came back from the ranch someone had already cut off its head.

What are the penalties for that, heard you weren't allowed to do that to road kill
Old 10-30-2014, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck 7 View Post
Saw a nice bull moose dead on the side of 28 north of henday and I thought about going back to cut the antlers off. When I came back from the ranch someone had already cut off its head.

What are the penalties for that, heard you weren't allowed to do that to road kill
You can call F&W to get permission to retain them but you have to obtain a permit for "Found dead Wildlife".

LC
Old 10-30-2014, 02:16 PM

On the Buck ..it was kill at night or early morning we missed it in morning but rigamortis had set in at noon ..its left front shoulder was ripped off and on road and the skull plate was broken horns were loose.. looked like it had dragged itself off the road and died.. so I left it with the horns up as in picture .. looked like someone took head since then.. but you need to get a 10$ permit from F&W for found dead wildlife.. or I think you could hang a tag on it if it was fresh .. but not sure on that

David
Old 10-30-2014, 04:38 PM

Nice find! I saw someone going down the Willow this summer in a side by side with a great WT shed.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:03 PM

haven't seen to much for road kill this year. to bad a nice buck like that had to get hit.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
That buck doesn't look all that damaged, did you salvage it, David? If it's fresh and not too banged up it tastes the same as one killed with a bullet.....LOL!

I'm starting to look for roadkill for my coyote bait piles but there aren't a lot in this area......YET! Once the bucks start chasing the does there are plenty but until then, not too many. A big old moose roadkill would be nice to come across about now.

There was a doe this morning where 28a merges with 15 if your interested Dave.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleJax View Post
There was a doe this morning where 28a merges with 15 if your interested Dave.
That would have been close enough to make it worth my while to go and get. The coyotes have it eaten by now though.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:22 PM

Lots of people don't realise that many counties pick up road kill early in the morning.
Saw two dead deer today, one spiker (maybe 2x2) and one doe.
5x5 killed right near my place a few weeks back.
Lots of dead does recently.
Haven't seen a smoose since last year, that was v a camaro.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
That would have been close enough to make it worth my while to go and get. The coyotes have it eaten by now though.

I'll let you know sooner next time Dave, now that I know your in the market again!
Old 10-31-2014, 05:21 PM
Banned

Mandatory $500 fine for anyone hitting a deer, moose, or elk. People drive like idiots.
Old 10-31-2014, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwiterodtka View Post
Mandatory $500 fine for anyone hitting a deer, moose, or elk. People drive like idiots.

Old 10-31-2014, 05:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
You live in the city, right?
Old 10-31-2014, 05:44 PM

Quote:

Please share your thoughts about these idiots.
This should be entertaining for awhile.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Rat View Post
Please share your thoughts about these idiots.
This should be entertaining for awhile.
I live on one of Albertas prime "Alberta Advantage" highways with mega gas, oil, and clear cutting going on. It was so bad it had to be aircraft patrolled. A mouse would never make it across the road.

I drove all my life across central Alberta hundreds of thousands of miles and had 2 deer HIT ME, both on the rear corner panel. Also got one ticket in my life and it was for no seat belt. Accidents do happen, but a lot less would if the idiots stayed off the roads. If you find it entertaining an extra 5 for you.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
I live on one of Albertas prime "Alberta Advantage" highways with mega gas, oil, and clear cutting going on. It was so bad it had to be aircraft patrolled. A mouse would never make it across the road.

I drove all my life across central Alberta hundreds of thousands of miles and had 2 deer HIT ME, both on the rear corner panel. Also got one ticket in my life and it was for no seat belt. Accidents do happen, but a lot less would if the idiots stayed off the roads. If you find it entertaining an extra 5 for you.
You obviously haven't drove to much if you haven't had the crap scared out of you by a moose at night.... And most animal vehicle collision it is the animal that "hits" the vehicle.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:13 PM

Road Kill buck,
Called FnW and got my permit and then struggled for 45 min to get him into the truck by myself.

For the record I called to get approval from them for a permit. Then took him in on the Monday morning as I found him on a Sunday morning.

HnW
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Whitetail.jpg (21.4 KB, 200 views)
Old 10-31-2014, 08:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertadeer View Post
You obviously haven't drove to much if you haven't had the crap scared out of you by a moose at night.... And most animal vehicle collision it is the animal that "hits" the vehicle.
Who said I haden't had the crap scared out of me...several times. I do disagree with you in that It seems to me most vehicle damage is to the front, not side or back end. I know all the moose hits I have seen were. If you don't think less idiots on the road would help that's fine with me. Free country.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_N_Wide View Post
Road Kill buck,
Called FnW and got my permit and then struggled for 45 min to get him into the truck by myself.

For the record I called to get approval from them for a permit. Then took him in on the Monday morning as I found him on a Sunday morning.

HnW
Wow....Thats defiantly the find of the day on that sunday!
Old 11-01-2014, 08:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Goofiest post Iv'e read in months. Can only hope your tounge was planted firmly in your cheek.
Old 11-01-2014, 08:45 AM

Quote:

Two deer hit you?
If you were going slower could you have taken evasive actions to prevent the collision?
Old 11-01-2014, 09:09 AM
Banned

The point is the majority of vehicle animal collisions could be avoided if people drove more responsibly. I have done it! Not doing so means higher insurance rates and less animals for hunters...everybody looses. So keep driving like idiots and don't worry we are all paying for it which is the real crime. I have made my point and am done with the derail....a waste of ink.
Old 11-01-2014, 11:47 AM

Quote:
a waste of ink.
Actually all of this is online as a matter of fact so no ink is wasted my friend...energy maybe but I know I'm kinda enjoying reading how you have nothing to back up your argument...some people don't have control over animal collisions...what if you we're out in the scenario where it was either hitting a deer/moose or swerving into the wrong lane at 100+km/h, and striking a vehicle with a family of 5 in it...I know it's a what if scenario but then on top of a court date and everything terrible that comes from that you now have a $500 fine for killing a deer...sometimes yeah it happens but sometimes there's nothing you can do about it...I know as "wreck less" as any of my family is...we've never had a car crash/animal collision in all the years driving throughout Alberta/BC/and sask...there's so many situations where as bad as it sounds, my life is more important than an animals, because of the fact that we as hunters pay more money than anyone else to ensure these animals have land to inhabit, national parks where they can live their lives pretty much without any threats...I know if I pay countless amount of dollars on conservation I wouldn't want to break the bank on another $500 for hitting an animal...yeah it's unfortunate but $h!t happens
Old 11-01-2014, 12:12 PM

Quote:
The point is the majority of vehicle animal collisions could be avoided if people drove more responsibly. I have done it! Not doing so means higher insurance rates and less animals for hunters...everybody looses. So keep driving like idiots and don't worry we are all paying for it which is the real crime. I have made my point and am done with the derail....a waste of ink.
I hit my first deer two years ago in my wifes jetta. I hit it directly on the front end. I had three choices when the deer bolted in full sprint from the roadside bushline. Swerve to my left and miss the deer but hit the oncoming traffic, swerve to my right and take a 10 foot drop into the ditch doing 105 km, or nail that sucker straight on. I opted for the latter and walked away fine but rattled. You tell me how that could have been a voided by anyone.

What a goofy post. Why some of these guys bother I have no clue.
Old 11-01-2014, 12:24 PM

Sorry speckle for this major derail aha...there's always one
One other point tho...an animal collision is usually always accidental, so $500 on top of vehicle damage and insurance is crazy...hunting is takin an animals life on purpose to provide for your family...I already pay over $500 on butchering/taxidermy/tags/and all the equipment I use to harvest an animal...and yeah I know it's not an essential to have expensive things for huntin but neither is a $60000 car to "take the chance" of hittin a deer
Old 11-01-2014, 01:22 PM

We were having a big talk today about roadkill tags.
I know ESRD won't issue them because they somehow believe that people will be hitting animals on purpose if they do.
I don't like the current system because you have to leave the animal sitting there while you organise a permit.
If they gave out roadkill tags, say $10 for deer and $20 for moose, even if you took the deer for dog food, you'd be saving them from having to drag it off the roadway.
They'd sell 1000s of tags a year making it a good earner.
No one is going to chase down and run over a deer / moose because they have a tag.