Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-30-2014, 04:15 PM
Banned

Default When do you shoot , a Grizzly

Lots of talk about grizzly numbers up and moving east . More and more sightings and encounters with hunters , ranchers, campers and hikers ect . Spray is the way to go but , what if , wind conditions , wife/kids so on and spray can't be used . It's gonna happen . When do you shoot ?
Old 10-30-2014, 04:18 PM
Banned

if it looks too interested in me i'll put a warning shot into a tree or something and get out of there.

but that would be if i was practically getting bluff charged
Old 10-30-2014, 04:21 PM

I would t be waiting to see if it's a bluff charge or not .... Depends on the circumstance but if I felt threatened .....sss
Old 10-30-2014, 04:24 PM

Shoot as soon as you feel its a imminent threat to you or others trust your instincts potential legal reprecusions be damned .
Old 10-30-2014, 04:30 PM

If it was me when the bear is charging and doesn't appear to be stopping.
If it was after the wife not until it's done eating.
Ah ha ha ha
Ha ha ha
Old 10-30-2014, 04:30 PM

Mike_W might wanna edit the last part just in case some gov is watching this site. It is a true statement but you never know who's watching.
Old 10-30-2014, 04:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cofirearms View Post
Mike_W might wanna edit the last part just in case some gov is watching this site. It is a true statement but you never know who's watching.
pssshhh heck no! the government told us to do it

i personally liked king ralph
Old 10-30-2014, 04:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
not sure Mike should . are we not being put into a situation the gov is ignoring . just saying
Old 10-30-2014, 04:48 PM
Banned

As soon as I felt threatened I would most like unload the three Federal Express 3" Magnum Hi Shock Slugs, with the finishing shot being an SSG.

Like I have said before, There are lots of Grizz and only One Of ME!
Old 10-30-2014, 05:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Lol
Old 10-30-2014, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
I would t be waiting to see if it's a bluff charge or not .... Depends on the circumstance but if I felt threatened .....sss
x2 you'd have to have a pair if you waited to see if it was a bluff or not before shooting.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:11 PM

Default When do you shoot,a Grizzly?

When he blinks.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:24 PM

Quote:
I'm not to worried about it, truth be told Id shoot anything trying to kill me.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:46 PM

If it gets within 10 m (30 feet) its goin down.
Old 10-30-2014, 08:39 PM

Quote:
X2 .. And yes we do know , and yes they are watching .. no lol..
Old 10-30-2014, 08:52 PM

I live in bear country when Im in Montana and I hunt along Waterton in alberta so I encounter bears. There has been times when I've had my a-hole puckered duck tight. I hunt solo quite a bit and here in Alberta I'm packing bear spray along with my 30-06. Montana I pack a 3" 357 ruger and bear spray. I have had two black bear encounters sows that had cubs within 15 yrds and luckily the sow got the cubs out of there and both times I just froze to see what was going to happen and it would of been too late. If this had been a griz than I would not be writing this now. Bear spray is your best weapon as even with a bears heart blown out its adrenaline will still kill you.
I'm hunting by myself this weekend along Waterton and if you start to think about it and can't enjoy your hunt then hunt the prairie.
When I'm out there I am my worst enemy and safety is my number one concern as I keep in mind not to do anything stupid or get into something where I shouldn't be. Just be very aware of your surroundings and pay attention to animals behavior around you in alerting that there may be an intruder around. I even look over my back from time to time for a cougar. I'm sure they had a plenty eye on me when I don't even see them, except there signs.
Good luck.

Bobby
Old 10-30-2014, 10:09 PM

Depends on if the bear is acting naturally.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 10-30-2014, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knot Rite View Post
I live in bear country when Im in Montana and I hunt along Waterton in alberta so I encounter bears. There has been times when I've had my a-hole puckered duck tight. I hunt solo quite a bit and here in Alberta I'm packing bear spray along with my 30-06. Montana I pack a 3" 357 ruger and bear spray. I have had two black bear encounters sows that had cubs within 15 yrds and luckily the sow got the cubs out of there and both times I just froze to see what was going to happen and it would of been too late. If this had been a griz than I would not be writing this now. Bear spray is your best weapon as even with a bears heart blown out its adrenaline will still kill you.
I'm hunting by myself this weekend along Waterton and if you start to think about it and can't enjoy your hunt then hunt the prairie.
When I'm out there I am my worst enemy and safety is my number one concern as I keep in mind not to do anything stupid or get into something where I shouldn't be. Just be very aware of your surroundings and pay attention to animals behavior around you in alerting that there may be an intruder around. I even look over my back from time to time for a cougar. I'm sure they had a plenty eye on me when I don't even see them, except there signs.
Good luck.

Bobby
Give your head a shake , there's a pile of bears out here on the prairies too ..lol .
Old 10-30-2014, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Depends on if the bear is acting naturally.

^^^^^ Like ^^
Old 10-30-2014, 10:43 PM

I has a big boar grizzly chase me and my 12 year old son. Watched it cut our scent line and then turn and come right at us. It was about 300 yards out so I had time to think about what to do. I was only carrying a 7mm08 and it was trotting towards us so I worried about bullet placement and stopping power. We also had the advantage of being hidden behind a small rise. I decided to run for it back to the truck a couple of hundred yards away, with my son taking the lead and me following at a slower pace so I would not be out of breath and unstable if it came to shooting. As I got to within twenty yards of the truck I could hear it coming up behind me - those last twenty yards felt like a 100 yards. Bear was grunting and grinding - an awful sound to hear up close.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:08 PM

Did you shoot it. 50 yards and under that bear is getting it. Know of a group of guys who got chased by a massive grizzly sheep hunting on thier horses . the next weekend my buddy got chased my the same bear. The bear has no fear and needs to be educated.......
Old 10-31-2014, 01:02 AM

Bear charges, shoot until it is no longer charging.

All this "bluff" charge stuff is just going to get someone killed. You have no way of knowing what the bear intends to do. You wait, you just might find out how low on the food chain you are.

When being charged by a bear it is reasonable to believe the bear means to kill you, it is a wild animal.

I have personally witnessed less than stellar performance of bear spray and would not bet my life on it.
Old 10-31-2014, 04:57 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Jeeesh best scenario is when you are watching it on the show called the hunt and you squeeeeeze off the shot from your recliner! No soiled shorts that way and it impresses the wife as you describe how you would take care of yogi!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-31-2014, 06:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsonob1 View Post
I has a big boar grizzly chase me and my 12 year old son. Watched it cut our scent line and then turn and come right at us. It was about 300 yards out so I had time to think about what to do. I was only carrying a 7mm08 and it was trotting towards us so I worried about bullet placement and stopping power. We also had the advantage of being hidden behind a small rise. I decided to run for it back to the truck a couple of hundred yards away, with my son taking the lead and me following at a slower pace so I would not be out of breath and unstable if it came to shooting. As I got to within twenty yards of the truck I could hear it coming up behind me - those last twenty yards felt like a 100 yards. Bear was grunting and grinding - an awful sound to hear up close.
Makes me want to quit smoking so I can run faster and not run out of breath!
Old 10-31-2014, 07:18 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsonob1 View Post
Once safe in the truck or near and I calmed down if the bear was still poking around I would shoot the bugger dead, no really dead, even deader...that is a rogue bear!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-31-2014, 08:19 AM

30 yds and closing, I pull the trigger
Old 10-31-2014, 09:23 AM
Gone Hunting

Yea silly really. If you have a chance it would be scary to fire a warning shot. Thats 1 less in the gun. Id imagine if your threatened for your life even the CO cant get to upset with you.
Just dont be the guy that felt threatened 31 times in one year. Then you might have some trouble on your hands then.
Old 10-31-2014, 09:47 AM

empty mag and reload you must win the firefight and fight through the objective . opps wrong thread flash back

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”
Old 10-31-2014, 09:52 AM

Got charged a couple of times with and without a rifle when I did have a rifle I fired warning shot at the ground infront of him and he v-lined it away when I didn't have a rifle he got to within 20 yards stopped and we stared at each other for around 3 hours till he just walked off
Old 10-31-2014, 09:53 AM
Banned

If I feel threatend I will shoot... If I feel I will be prosicuted I will shut up....