Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-30-2014, 05:07 PM

Default got a river boat and want to take kids to float the river in spring for a black bear. Any help on where to start?

I want to take the family of the river to hunt bear this spring and maybe elk next fall. But not sure where I should look at going. Don't want it to be to hard of a river for there first trip. Anyone tried the wapiti west of GP. Or is the peace still a good river?
Old 10-30-2014, 06:42 PM

Always hear good things about the little smokey. But I have no experience to offer you.

Biggmac
Old 10-30-2014, 07:37 PM

The Peace River. Lots of places to launch. Easy river to float. Depends how many days you want to float. I'd start at Many Islands or farther up stream. A few good cabins and camp sites to stop at. Pm me if you want more info.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:16 PM

Peace river or the athabasca for bear. Peace river for elk but you're not going to shoot elk from the river, have to hike hard to get on them. But bears can be had right from the bateau
Old 10-31-2014, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
Peace river or the athabasca for bear. Peace river for elk but you're not going to shoot elk from the river, have to hike hard to get on them. But bears can be had right from the bateau
Elk moose and deer on the islands usually when the season opens. There's always people hunting the Peace here with success
Old 10-31-2014, 10:14 AM

Default Jet Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyn6 View Post
I want to take the family of the river to hunt bear this spring and maybe elk next fall. But not sure where I should look at going. Don't want it to be to hard of a river for there first trip. Anyone tried the wapiti west of GP. Or is the peace still a good river?
What style of Jet Boat did you buy?I would be interested in maybe traveling with you on a bear hunt if your looking for company? nice to have two boats.
Old 10-31-2014, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepcrazyguy View Post
Elk moose and deer on the islands usually when the season opens. There's always people hunting the Peace here with success
Sorry Sheepcrazy I should have clarified what I meant. You're not going to shoot a bull elk from your boat as he stands at the edge of the river bank, you're going to have to hike up off the river into the bush and hunt them.
Old 10-31-2014, 02:44 PM

In September I was fortunate enough to take a cruise down the Athabasca near the area of Wandering River in 519. It was a very impressive area.

I was saddened to learn of two more recent fatal accidents on Highway 63 and recommend saving this area until the roads re twinned, considering the family element you mentioned.
Old 11-02-2014, 07:59 PM

I got a 20 ft flat bottom with 115 merc jet prop. old but it does the job. I have a friend that lives on the wapiti and was hoping there was someone that has floated on it as we could go from his house and give it a try. But the peace sound good.
Old 11-02-2014, 08:16 PM

Wapiti gets pretty skinny west of GP. You'd have better luck going downstream from Gp to the confluence of the Smoky
Old 11-02-2014, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
Sorry Sheepcrazy I should have clarified what I meant. You're not going to shoot a bull elk from your boat as he stands at the edge of the river bank, you're going to have to hike up off the river into the bush and hunt them.
Lol you mean they aren't lining up the bank just waiting to be shot? Have to agree with you Tork They're around and you have to work for them. Then you have to get them to the boat.