Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-15-2011, 08:51 AM

Post Highwood River Fishing Report

Ia went fishing at highwood river provincial campground were on of my parents friends had a camp out (all i did was fish) me and my friend adam were tossing some panther martians size 4 out and i caught a 16" rocky on the first cast five casts later my friend caught a 22" rocky onj the panther after that we didnt catch anything that day. The next day i woke up early to tie some fly because i brought my kit, i tied a renegade size ten a griffits gnat size 10 and a elk hair caddis size ten after that i headed out to try my luck in the morning as i got to the were we caught the rockys after i tied on my renegade i looked for any risers and seen one tryed flor him for 3 mins before another rose first cast to him and wose landed a 22" Cutthroat after that another one rose in the rapids and i casted for him he took a slow rise and graped pulled him to find a 22" rainbow after that the renegade had no luck so i switched to the gifitts gnat first cast this bull jump for this fly so hard it flung its body out of the water landed him to find a 24'' Bull after that i had no luck alone so i went back to camp and had some lunch and tyed some more flys i tyed some more renegades with a light body instead of peacock herl and my sister (who knows nothing in fishing) told me to ty a fly with all brown hackle through the body and grizzly at the front so i tyed two size 10's so i dragged my dad to come fishing with me and we found a hole just upstream from the other one we seen some cutthroat riseing right in front of us i tryed my renegade with the light body but got nothing on my dads sixth cast with a panter martian he had a 20" Rainbow then i tied on my sisters fly and sure enough caught a 22'' Cutthroat then right after we let mine go my dad caught a 16'' rocky on the panther then i seen some monster cutts rising so i casted in to this back water which was present at the hole and then i seen a slow flash of olive gold and whosh landed a 24'' cutthroat and that was it for the day hope you take pointer and see that my new fly Sara's special acualy works!
Old 08-15-2011, 08:54 AM

hey great report was the river crowded at all?
Old 08-15-2011, 08:56 AM

no only seen one fly fisher but he was on his way home from an unlucky day
Old 08-15-2011, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepriverrules View Post
no only seen one fly fisher but he was on his way home from an unlucky day
haha the fly fisher must have new to the game JK im on my way there in 2 days.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:58 AM

ill be home all week but next week im on vacation
Old 08-15-2011, 08:59 AM

Quote:
ill be home all week but next week im on vacation
Awsome
Old 08-15-2011, 09:01 AM

aka ill be fishing all week
Old 08-15-2011, 10:51 AM
hunter49

WOW, multiple 22" cutthroat and a 24" in 1 day!!! Got any pics?
Old 08-15-2011, 06:49 PM

ya I'd love to see those pics. Would be a pretty rare day to pull those from the highwood, do you mean cm not in?
Old 09-18-2011, 09:45 PM

the story is 100 percent rue no lie have my dad walking to tell the tale, and saidly enough no pictures, also just 2 days ago landed a 28" BULL TROUT out of the sheep now he was a lunker and yet agian no camera on hand
Old 09-18-2011, 10:01 PM

Quote:
the story is 100 percent rue no lie have my dad walking to tell the tale, and saidly enough no pictures, also just 2 days ago landed a 28" BULL TROUT out of the sheep now he was a lunker and yet agian no camera on hand
NO pics, didnt happen.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingFrenzy View Post
NO pics, didnt happen.
It's posts like this why I don't post any of my fishing stories. Sad.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingFrenzy View Post
NO pics, didnt happen.
If you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all.Jurks like you should be kicked off the forum
Old 09-19-2011, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary K View Post
It's posts like this why I don't post any of my fishing stories. Sad.
keep posting dont let this guy bring you down.as far as im concerned these ignorant people that have nothing better to do than knock people down . there best days of fishing are the ones were they dream about doing it. anybody can use a keyboard..keep b..l s..t remarks to facebook this is a A O forum . i fish by myself all the time and dont have time to get camera out and focus it while my fish are dieing ,,,,, does that make me a liar too......
Old 09-19-2011, 07:41 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by parnavi View Post
keep posting dont let this guy bring you down.as far as im concerned these ignorant people that have nothing better to do than knock people down . there best days of fishing are the ones were they dream about doing it. anybody can use a keyboard..keep b..l s..t remarks to facebook this is a A O forum . i fish by myself all the time and dont have time to get camera out and focus it while my fish are dieing ,,,,, does that make me a liar too......
couldnt have said it better, because Im new and sometimes I have no clue but I dont tell lie's and yes, I dont want a fish to die cause I can use the zoom on my camera !
Old 09-19-2011, 08:09 AM

You do have to admit, it's a hard story to believe and when there are no pics, it becomes even harder. There are probably only a handful of cutts in this province in rivers that are over 20", so when someone comes on saying he caught 2 over 20" on the same trip then it becomes hard to believe... especially when you don't know the person.

It's also a lot easier to believe someone when they say that they taped the fish instead of just guessing a length. Many times, I've thought a fish was well over 20" only to find it's actually 19". Big fish can be quite deceptive when you're just guesstimating. I have made marks on my net handle so that I can tell how long a fish is. I can still keep it in the water but can also get a quick, accurate measurement without fumbling for a tape measure.

And lastly, sometimes I play poker (don't worry, there is a point here) and I often find that people that bluff often are also the ones that think everyone else is bluffing and they just can't fold a hand because they think you're full of %*^*. Likewise, I would also suggest that the people on here that think everyone is exaggerating their stories are probably the one's most guilty of the same thing. It's easy to exaggerate when you're an anonymous person on the internet; they've probably done it and think you're doing the same thing. Just a thought.

So my question is, did you tape the fish (even if it is just marking it on your rod and measuring later) or did you just guesstimate the length?

Cheers.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:39 AM
Banned

So the Sheep is promising,, I was planning on heading down this week for Rockies. Have you been anywhere along the Highwood? My bad, you were on the Highwood, that would explain the larger trout.
Old 09-19-2011, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtoad View Post
You do have to admit, it's a hard story to believe and when there are no pics, it becomes even harder. There are probably only a handful of cutts in this province in rivers that are over 20", so when someone comes on saying he caught 2 over 20" on the same trip then it becomes hard to believe... especially when you don't know the person.

It's also a lot easier to believe someone when they say that they taped the fish instead of just guessing a length. Many times, I've thought a fish was well over 20" only to find it's actually 19". Big fish can be quite deceptive when you're just guesstimating. I have made marks on my net handle so that I can tell how long a fish is. I can still keep it in the water but can also get a quick, accurate measurement without fumbling for a tape measure.

And lastly, sometimes I play poker (don't worry, there is a point here) and I often find that people that bluff often are also the ones that think everyone else is bluffing and they just can't fold a hand because they think you're full of %*^*. Likewise, I would also suggest that the people on here that think everyone is exaggerating their stories are probably the one's most guilty of the same thing. It's easy to exaggerate when you're an anonymous person on the internet; they've probably done it and think you're doing the same thing. Just a thought.

So my question is, did you tape the fish (even if it is just marking it on your rod and measuring later) or did you just guesstimate the length?

Cheers.
It is easy to embilish a story, yes. its alot more fun to Believe it.

I have fished the highwood once, hit two cutties in a few hours fishing. both over 20" and yes, measured.
Is it a great, unbeleiveable day of fishing? yes! Do i beleive it? yes! Am i jealous? very. Maybe thats why you can't believe it, because you fish it all the time and don't pull out anything of size? Who knows, it may not of happen or it could have. Every once in a while everyone gets those wicked days that seem impossible, that doesnt mean they are.

Gary
Old 09-19-2011, 03:48 PM

I'll believe the bull sizes. Personally, I've seen, and watched someone land at 25-30" bull (measured 2 lengths of my flip flop @ size 12). Can be hard to find them, but they are EVERYWHERE in the streams in west alberta from what I understand!
Old 09-19-2011, 05:57 PM

i was fishing only 200 feet from the swim area and only caught rainbows. and man theyre was a ton of them.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:45 PM

I fish alone as well and have no problem landing a fish , taking a picture of it and releasing it. I also get a pretty good measurement by way of the measure net.

As for 20+ cutts. Ya, no problem. More than one 20 +in a day, you bet. It all depends on the day , place, time, season. Oh ya...also some luck.

'stix!!
Old 09-19-2011, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishstix View Post
I fish alone as well and have no problem landing a fish , taking a picture of it and releasing it. I also get a pretty good measurement by way of the measure net.

As for 20+ cutts. Ya, no problem. More than one 20 +in a day, you bet. It all depends on the day , place, time, season. Oh ya...also some luck.

'stix!!

i think luck is alot if it! couldnt believe i hooked one let alone two that size the first time on the river. man was i stoked.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:59 PM

When i measured the fish i measure with my arm witch from elbow to tip of hand is 20" so they were over that for sure and heres the bully caught him today and had the camera dont worry about the rocikes come to the sheep
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 101_1505.jpg (49.8 KB, 92 views)
Old 09-20-2011, 08:02 PM

a that story is ablostly true no lie im not telling no tale
Old 09-21-2011, 03:39 PM

i beleive you! im backing you up.
Old 09-21-2011, 06:18 PM
Banned

Sheepriverules, you don't have to prove anything to those in the know,, great avatar btw, and you live near these rivers, luckier than us living near the bow.
Old 09-21-2011, 06:35 PM

yes lucky me when ever i ride to school i get to see the river and the beatufull site of the river steam in the cold, ********IMPORTANT MESSAGE FROM FISHING THE SHEEP hEADQUATERS******* im soon to post a thread about what i just seen on the river today when riding home from school see the thread sheep river fishing report
Old 09-21-2011, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavMahler View Post
Sheepriverules, you don't have to prove anything to those in the know,, great avatar btw, and you live near these rivers, luckier than us living near the bow.
thanks for the support hope you enjoy my sheep report
Old 09-21-2011, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtoad View Post
You do have to admit, it's a hard story to believe and when there are no pics, it becomes even harder. There are probably only a handful of cutts in this province in rivers that are over 20", so when someone comes on saying he caught 2 over 20" on the same trip then it becomes hard to believe...

some beautiful examples of a "handful" of alberta cutts caught on film by a crew that knows how to do it right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRanTMec3Cg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEQX1KQhA4w

Dace
Old 09-21-2011, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daceminnow View Post
some beautiful examples of a "handful" of alberta cutts caught on film by a crew that knows how to do it right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRanTMec3Cg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEQX1KQhA4w

Dace
now that some nice cutts