Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-31-2013, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK47 View Post
You do not know, sorry. I think it would be opposite.
Yes I do, it is you that does not know.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:13 PM

Quote:
I pointed to Lac des Isles in my previous post. Very similar to Travers for example. Same depth, same length, same or even bigger fishing pressure.
I saw that, it's just not really an apples to apples comparison, for the reasons Huntsforfish mentioned. It's also one lake out of thousands.

I was trying to see if you actually had a concrete example of a lake or two in southern SK that would be similar. The closest thing I can think of is Rafferty and Boundary in the SE. Both are small reservoirs with a lot of water level fluctuations, and both have good walleye populations. They don't see nearly the fishing pressure that CV does, but they have seen increased pressure lately due to the boom in that part of the province. That resulted in decreased limits being put in place on them now. It'll be interesting to see how they're affected long term.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:16 PM

If it's any consolation, I LOVE fishing at Crawling and my son does too.

Most of my fish are unhooked in my net, never handled, and released. The bigguns get a photo.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjuanworm View Post

Most of my fish are unhooked in my net, never handled, and released. The bigguns get a photo.
That's what it's all about!
Old 07-31-2013, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjuanworm View Post

And that is also why Im a fan of cv, and 11yr and 6 yr dont have a lot of experience so when they can catch 15 each and talk about it for 2 week later, that is better than any fish fry i can think of, However dont get me wrong I do like a fry, just fish other lakes for that..
Old 07-31-2013, 04:35 PM

"Any "regulation" is simply man made manipulation of the population dynamics according to whatever agenda is being pushed at the time, not a necessary requirement for the long term health of a fish population. Nature will sort that out just fine on it's own."

^^ I completely agree with the above statement. What I don't agree with on this particular forum topic is that a walleye fishery can't be supported if there is a slot size limit, or a "3 under, 1 over" rule.......... or fish cannot be kept in a certain slot size. I'm from N. Ontario, and while every lake and fishery is different, we have various manipulations of the same reg.... 3-4 fish, with varying slot sizes and minimums. And our fishery is doing just fine... while CVR sounds like an insane fishing hole, you think a "1 under, 1 over" or one of the two would sufficiently damage the fishing? I tend to think not.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwelds191 View Post
"Any "regulation" is simply man made manipulation of the population dynamics according to whatever agenda is being pushed at the time, not a necessary requirement for the long term health of a fish population. Nature will sort that out just fine on it's own."

^^ I completely agree with the above statement. What I don't agree with on this particular forum topic is that a walleye fishery can't be supported if there is a slot size limit, or a "3 under, 1 over" rule.......... or fish cannot be kept in a certain slot size. I'm from N. Ontario, and while every lake and fishery is different, we have various manipulations of the same reg.... 3-4 fish, with varying slot sizes and minimums. And our fishery is doing just fine... while CVR sounds like an insane fishing hole, you think a "1 under, 1 over" or one of the two would sufficiently damage the fishing? I tend to think not.
but comparing ont to ab is just the same as sask to ab, the fishing pressure compaired to the ratio of lakes in ab is brutal.. There is no comparison..Then there is the variety of fish..way more in ont than ab to take the pressures off the walters...Id bass fish more if they were in ab...luv fishin for smallies on the great lakes..
Old 07-31-2013, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba 96 View Post
but comparing ont to ab is just the same as sask to ab, the fishing pressure compaired to the ratio of lakes in ab is brutal.. There is no comparison..Then there is the variety of fish..way more in ont than ab to take the pressures off the walters...Id bass fish more if they were in ab...luv fishin for smallies on the great lakes..
I was waiting for someone to take offense to my post, glad you took it for what it was -- just my thoughts. And that is true, something i didnt even consider. We do have an insane amount of diversity in our fisheries...

the best fishing I did recently was a lake just filled with bass, pike and walters. Never knew what you had on your line cause they were all hitting the same thing; perch imitations. I miss bass fishing. does CVR get hit insanely hard?
Old 07-31-2013, 04:54 PM

Quote:
I was waiting for someone to take offense to my post, glad you took it for what it was -- just my thoughts. And that is true, something i didnt even consider. We do have an insane amount of diversity in our fisheries...

the best fishing I did recently was a lake just filled with bass, pike and walters. Never knew what you had on your line cause they were all hitting the same thing; perch imitations. I miss bass fishing. does CVR get hit insanely hard?
I should use the word "insane" less
Old 07-31-2013, 05:24 PM

Put a tag system in place. F&W can control the amount legally harvested, the size harvested, and the money goes back into the system.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:47 PM

Quote:

No offense taken, it's just tough to compair other provinces with ab, just due to lack of lakes, and the amount of people fishing them...
Old 07-31-2013, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
Put a tag system in place. F&W can control the amount legally harvested, the size harvested, and the money goes back into the system.
Oh man yer gonna open up a can of worms with that, but on that note yes it will keep an eye on harvests, but a draw for Wally's...it Will most likely happen..I just wonder how much of the cash goes back into the fisheries..
Old 07-31-2013, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba 96 View Post
Oh man yer gonna open up a can of worms with that, but on that note yes it will keep an eye on harvests, but a draw for Wally's...it Will most likely happen..I just wonder how much of the cash goes back into the fisheries..
Tag systems work. If only we could see exactly where that money went though. I hope 100% goes into F&W
Old 07-31-2013, 06:21 PM

Quote:
That could be an option.

Old 07-31-2013, 06:25 PM

Money goes to gen revenue. Where it should.

That said, it wouldn't hurt to have more available. But that also is another issue.

Old 07-31-2013, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
Money goes to gen revenue. Where it should.

That said, it wouldn't hurt to have more available. But that also is another issue.
I think that if I'm paying for the resource (the fish) that the money should go back into maintaining the resource (the fish).
Old 07-31-2013, 06:31 PM

Ideally I would like to see 1 over 55 if it will support it rather than a tag if it came down to it.

I also have no objection to it remaining C&R for walleye there. And that may be the way it stays. PCR also seems to have a good following in the C&R there. Great for the inexperienced walleye fisherpeople and awesome for the kids.

Most fishermen just want to catch fish. Even kids as they get better want to catch larger fish as well. That will also happen at a C&R lake. Just need time. Patience

Old 07-31-2013, 06:34 PM

Quote:
I think that if I'm paying for the resource (the fish) that the money should go back into maintaining the resource (the fish).
But you/we not the only one/s. Every Albertan is helping you maintain the resource.

Are you sure you want those resources to be dependant on fishermen only?

The issue is not where it comes from, but how much

Old 07-31-2013, 06:39 PM

Quote:
But you/we not the only one/s. Every Albertan is helping you maintain the resource.

Are you sure you want those resources to be dependant on fishermen only?

The issue is not where it comes from but how much
I'm not saying that I want it to be dependent on fishermen, but I'd like to see the money that I spend on licensing and tags to be put back into the fisheries.

We need more funding and I see this as an easy way to get it.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:48 PM

Quote:
I'm not saying that I want it to be dependent on fishermen, but I'd like to see the money that I spend on licensing and tags to be put back into the fisheries.

We need more funding and I see this as an easy way to get it.
Yes we need more money. That is the issue. Doesn't matter where from does it?

If the budget is(just a random figure)$300,000,000.00 And licences and such generate $3,000,000 where does the rest come from? 90% comes from general revenue(other taxpayers)

Bet you would like LEO's to generate their own revenue. You would get a ticket for 3 km over

Old 07-31-2013, 06:50 PM

At any rate, sorry to the OP for us hijacking your post and making it into a debate

But some of that needed to be said.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:03 PM

Thumbs down

I was excited to come back and see there is three pages to my thread. But only to my surprise its a huge boner fest. Actually I really wasn't surprised at all. Insert steaming pile of dog crap emoji here
Old 07-31-2013, 08:13 PM

At least we were talking about CVR walleyes and the idea of harvesting some.

Personally I have never done really well there, I do catch a couple 6 lb pike but nothing huge.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:12 PM

Old 07-31-2013, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Horse View Post
I was excited to come back and see there is three pages to my thread. But only to my surprise its a huge boner fest. Actually I really wasn't surprised at all. Insert steaming pile of dog crap emoji here

Could have been a lot worse.
At least nobody jumped all over you for the comment about 1-2 lb pan fryers on a 0 keep lake

Old 07-31-2013, 11:15 PM
Banned

I was talking to a CO, Can't name him because he told me not to.... but he is out of Brooks area. Says, there will be a 1 over 55cm walleye limit in the works for Mcgregor res. In the next 2 years. He says they're going to run a electrofishing and gather some data and then make the judgement to open it up.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Could have been a lot worse.
At least nobody jumped all over you for the comment about 1-2 lb pan fryers on a 0 keep lake
I kinda put that in there expecting someone to say something but no one did!So I guess this threead wasnt a complete disaster!
Old 08-01-2013, 09:54 AM

Default So what's with killn fish!

CV, Pine Coulee, Newell etc. fisheries are within say 1.5 hrs of 1.4 MM folks. Thats the difference between Sask. n Alta.

CV is now 25 years old, i would suggest that the Reservoir is still evolving.

Comments on here have suggested the Pike fishery has changed, I believe that, it seems they (the easy ones that want to bite my wally gear) top out at about 70 cm's or so. I know, I know there are bigger Pike in here, but just sayn. I'd love to see a 0 limit on pike.

Yesterday we found all sizes of wally's from 20 cm's to about 50 cm's. lots of different year classes. So it would seem to me that the "no kill on the walleyes" is a raging sucess. Folks of all age groups were catching from shore, boats etc. so that has to be a sucess.

I have reported here the walleys get into about a foot or two of water near sundown, well last nite kids of all ages had a ball, and at sundown it all shut down, the kids seemed to be be leading that effort (shut down) as "Dad thats the law" was heard.

To be near three cities and have this fishery is something to be cherrished. Also Fish n Wildlife was out last weekend, great to see that.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Show me examples where this happened please.
Almost all lakes from about Red Deer north in Alberta before 1995.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
Almost all lakes from about Red Deer north in Alberta before 1995.
Since I was not here at that time can you give details please? What kind of limits where there at that time? And was it a zero limit before they allowed to keep fish again?