Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-03-2010, 08:11 AM

Default Want to start Fly Fishing

Hey everyone, I really want to start fly fishing this year, start to learn to fly fish!
I will need to get a rod and reel, etc, and wondering where to start. I was looking at the beginner combos at BPS and wholesale sports and was wondering if those are a good place to start.

Where is a good place to go and learn and get some info on rod and reel set ups etc

Could probably spend $100 to get started, what should I be looking for!

Any information is welcome!

Thanks!

And if anyone has gear that they are no longer using, that would be suitable for a fella to get startes with, please let me know, and we can discuss!

Cheers
Steve
Old 05-03-2010, 08:55 AM

Hi Steve,

I am new to fly fishing myself. In fact this weekend I managed to catch couple of trout, it is lots of fun that is for sure. And my first fish ever on a fly rod being over 20" will be remembered for a long time.

As far as gear goes, I went to Wholesale Sports and they got me set up. The one advice that I got out of them is that you should not cheep out on the fly line as usually inexpensive lines have problems with line memory and makes it harder to cast and not enjoyable. I went with 6 weight 9 foot rod and 5-6 reel along with $45.00 weight forward line. My setup did cost me in around $200.00 and I did manage to get real nice rod and reel on clearance price which would have been another 50-60 dollars.

Good luck and have fun.

Leon
Old 05-03-2010, 09:07 AM

when I started.... I went to every fishing store in Calgary and got as much info as possible, I did ended up with a crystal river combo from canadian tire.

Went to the soccer field out in front of the house and practiced my casting.

That was a while back, as time went on I upgraded my gear starting with my rod. If I had to do it over again I would get a decent rod first and I would have started with neoprene waders and not the plastic ones. Other than that have fun and I hope you are a patient guy.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:42 AM

Steve ,you could try google calgary fly fishing & find a place to take casting lessons or maybe sarcee fish & game. When I started I used a self help video & started practicing in my back lane. Just tie on a small piece of wool so you can see the end of your line compared to your target,in my case target was a rock. If you can find it The Curtis Creek Manifesto by Sheridan Williams is full of good info.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:28 AM

Great sport! When I started i bought a fly rod combo set from the fishin hole. came with some flys rod reel and everything to get started with including a video. Scientific Anglers, a great kit for the money, the video was basic but informative for a nubee, i still have the rod and still use it. Look for that kit if you can. But be fore warned it is an addiction!! You tube is great for video instruction, you can learn all the knotts and technics, download and save on your laptop and head out.
Good Luck, take a pike on the fly and you will never go back.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:00 PM

Take a lesson before you shell out even a dollar for any equipment. Most good classes will discuss equipment, what you need, what you don't need. They will (or should) let you try a number of different rods.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:16 PM

Hansons fishing does a one day seminar on the bow for 200$. And at the end of the day you keep the rod, reel, and line. I can't see anyone not going that rout when trying it out.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:27 PM

this is my opinion, if you wanna learn and start fly fishing
practice roll cast or spey cast as your starting cast.
trust me, you will catch more fish than over cast. and these two casts are easy, cast far, and you can use it almost in all condition.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericlin0122 View Post
trust me, you will catch more fish than over cast. and these two casts are easy, cast far, and you can use it almost in all condition.
Can you expand on that? Why will you catch more fish than traditional casting??
Old 05-05-2010, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddave View Post
Can you expand on that? Why will you catch more fish than traditional casting??
as for beginner: you cast more, your line don't tangle that much, you don't need to worry about catching something behind you, you can still cast even when the wind blows 20km/hr => you catch more fish
Old 05-05-2010, 04:51 PM

I have to disagree with you on that one. It takes most guys( that I know ), many years to figure out roll casting with any proficiency, and spey thats a totally different ball game alltogether. I'm not an expert, by any stretch, but I have been flyfishing for 15 years and have just started to master the roll cast. You can roll cast all day long but if you dont get the cast in the zone you arent going to catch fish regardless of how many more casts you get in because you aren't untangling.
IMHO take some classes, and learn the technique, and have fun.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddave View Post
I have to disagree with you on that one. It takes most guys( that I know ), many years to figure out roll casting with any proficiency, and spey thats a totally different ball game alltogether. I'm not an expert, by any stretch, but I have been flyfishing for 15 years and have just started to master the roll cast. You can roll cast all day long but if you dont get the cast in the zone you arent going to catch fish regardless of how many more casts you get in because you aren't untangling.
IMHO take some classes, and learn the technique, and have fun.
but don't u love roll cast after you master it?
I still remember how many times I have to fix my line when I started fly fishing with traditional casting and I can't cast when bush behind me. Roll cast needs more time to practice; however, once you good at it, it's the cast can be used in almost all conditions.
if i would need to restart and learn fly fishing again. I will take roll cast as my primary cast.
just my 0.02. cheers
Old 05-05-2010, 11:40 PM
CDN

Default Getting started

SteveO

Your first rod depends on the waters and species you are going to fish. I started with a 6wt rod when I began fly fishing. Don't worry about spending a bit more to get started. After you get used to fly fishing and know you're going to get in it,then consider upgrading your gear.

If you're going after pike or other larger more agressive species I would recomend at least a 7wt rod setup. Good luck setting up. Let me know if you start tying your own flies.

PS

Don't stress on lessons right away. Hit the water and watch and learn from other flyfishermen. Most people don't mind giving out tips and tricks to beginners.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:31 AM

Van-ES Camp Introduction to Fly Fishing To Register call (780)796-3066 or email van-escamp@shaw.ca . Camp Van-Es Business Manager Bonnie Hauch.
Cost per person $75.00, cheque made payable to Camp Van-Es.

Saturday April 2, 2011 9am-4:30pm
Course Agenda

9:00-9:15 Introduction and Opening including gathering class
expectations and agenda review

9:15-10:15 Fly Rods and Equipment & Casting Basics
10:15-10:30 Coffee Break
10:30-12:00 Hands on Casting Instruction
12:00-1:00 Lunch (Served on site) Lunch Included
1:00-2:00 Terminal Basics (Understanding leaders and essential
Knots for Fly Fishing-Hands On)

2:00-2:15 Coffee Break

2:15-3:15 Entomology 101

3:15-4:45 River Fishing 101

4:45-4:15 Lake Fishing 101

4:15:4:30 Conservation review, how to handle fish, conclusion
and wrap-up
Old 02-19-2011, 10:40 AM

Smile Glad to welcome a new one.

The rod and the line are what make it all work. The new lines and light stiff rods make picking up and casting much easier than with old silk lines.

With a line that floats and a long stiff rod you will be able to roll cast no problem. It was the only one I could master in my kid days. The streams were narrow and the alders were everywhere.

The advice on waders is good too. My grandfather said careful wading is better than long casting. Those were the days of Hardy bamboo rods, very "soft" and you had to pick the line up to cast.

As you get better you'll be able to get the very light presentation with longer casts but at the beginning practice careful wading and shorter casts that you can control the flies entry to the water.

The boys who fish nymphs catch lots of fish but their technique is different, so ask them. If you fish a dry grasshopper the first year you'll have lots of fun and learn lots.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:39 AM

Just a thought.... This thread is a year old..

That is all
Old 02-19-2011, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericlin0122 View Post
Very rarely have ever used a roll cast.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingFrenzy View Post
Just a thought.... This thread is a year old..

That is all
LOL

I very seldom use a roll cast as well, and when I have I haven't needed to get any distance. 20km/h winds are not a big deal with an over head cast, it may take a beginner a bit to get use to but shouldn't be that big a problem. Don't ever take a trip for salmon back east if you think 20km winds are bad, some rivers you get 40-60km and higher winds coming down the valley. 20km is an average day no matter where you fish back there.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borchy View Post
Very rarely have ever used a roll cast.
Until you fish the North Raven, particularly the lower section.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:03 AM

roll casts are good if theres obsticals blocking your back cast
Old 02-20-2011, 07:45 PM

You need to do a roll pickup to get your floating fly in the air again at the end of its drift with a minimum of surface disruption. Otherwise you are dragging a pile of line through the surface, getting your floating fly wet and making a mess.