Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-27-2011, 12:17 AM
Gone Hunting

Default watching the fish

When I am ice-fishing I really like to be looking down the hole and seeing the fish going for my hook.

I got a pic the other day of a trout at Strubel Lake.

Not sure how I could get a better pic?

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...
Old 01-27-2011, 04:14 AM

Very cool. Makes fishing a lot more fun when you can see them. Beats staring at your rod tip or waiting for a flag all day.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy4 View Post
Not sure how I could get a better pic?
Get a better camera

Increase your shutter speed to accomodate the abundance of light coming in, and drop your ISO in your manual settings.

What ISO denotes is how sensitive the image sensor is to the amount of light present. The higher the ISO, the more sensitive the image sensor and therefore the possibility to take pictures in low-light situations.

And, where you would have needed to physically change to a different roll of film if you wanted a different ISO speed, digital technology allows you to simply dial one in. In this way, you can record images taken at different ISO speeds on the same memory card.

ISO Speed & Exposure

ISO speed affects the shutter speed / aperture combinations you can use to obtain correct exposure.

Suppose your digital camera's light meter warns you there is not enough light to correctly expose a scene. You could use the on-board flash, but let's suppose again it's not allowed (like in a concert or indoors recital).

You would then need to use a higher ISO. Set on "ISO Auto" mode, your digital camera will automatically select a higher ISO. Otherwise, you can manually select the next higher ISO and see if the increased sensitivity allows you to obtain a correctly exposed picture. If it does, you can now take a correctly exposed picture.

Similarly, if you find the camera is using a shutter speed that is too slow (1/60 sec. and slower) to handhold the camera steady and shake-free (thus resulting in blurred pictures), and you cannot open up the aperture anymore, and you do not have a tripod or other means to hold the camera steady, and you want to capture the action, etc. etc. -- then you might select the next higher ISO which will then allow you to select a faster shutter speed.

ISO Speed & Noise

However, all this increase in sensitivity does not come free. There is a price to pay with your image appearing more noisy.

See, when you boost the sensitivity of your image sensor by selecting a higher ISO, the image sensor is now able to record a fainter light signal. However, it is also true now that it will record fainter noise, where noise is any signal that is not attributed to the light from your subject. Remember that an image sensor is still an analog device and it generates its own noise, too! The increased sensitivity allows the image sensor to record more light signal and more noise. The ratio of light signal to noise (S/N ratio) determines the "noise" in your resultant image.

An image sensor is usually calibrated so that it gives the best image quality (greatest S/N ratio) at its lowest possible ISO speed. For most consumer digital cameras, this value will be expressed as ISO 50, ISO 64 or ISO 100. A few digital cameras use ISO 200 as their lowest ISO speed.

Just as with its film counterpart, an image sensor will exhibit "noise" (comparable to "graininess" in film) at the higher ISO speeds. Unlike film, where graininess can sometimes contribute to the mood of the image, noise produced by an image sensor is undesirable and appears as a motley of distracting coloured dots on your image.

Whatever the case, I am with you Duffy - Watching the fish from above is incredible. Especially in clear water, where you can see 20 feet to the bottom, and it's covered in fish!
Old 01-27-2011, 10:14 AM

ya i agree you your main settings to focus in on what u wanna do first like it its a fast shot use S for shutterspeed and make sure you whitebalance and ISO is set cause it will turn out black or white and if your using shutter speed it will be more grainy so make sure you apataure is set apporatly
Old 01-27-2011, 10:50 AM

Depends on the camera , some point and shoot have a spot light mode that might help, or you need a full control camera. point and shoots have always had problems like this. it sets the exposeure for the average of the picture.

Or fish tv with a video out.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisherman Guy View Post
Get a better camera

Increase your shutter speed to accomodate the abundance of light coming in, and drop your ISO in your manual settings.

What ISO denotes is how sensitive the image sensor is to the amount of light present. The higher the ISO, the more sensitive the image sensor and therefore the possibility to take pictures in low-light situations.

And, where you would have needed to physically change to a different roll of film if you wanted a different ISO speed, digital technology allows you to simply dial one in. In this way, you can record images taken at different ISO speeds on the same memory card.

ISO Speed & Exposure

ISO speed affects the shutter speed / aperture combinations you can use to obtain correct exposure.

Suppose your digital camera's light meter warns you there is not enough light to correctly expose a scene. You could use the on-board flash, but let's suppose again it's not allowed (like in a concert or indoors recital).

You would then need to use a higher ISO. Set on "ISO Auto" mode, your digital camera will automatically select a higher ISO. Otherwise, you can manually select the next higher ISO and see if the increased sensitivity allows you to obtain a correctly exposed picture. If it does, you can now take a correctly exposed picture.

Similarly, if you find the camera is using a shutter speed that is too slow (1/60 sec. and slower) to handhold the camera steady and shake-free (thus resulting in blurred pictures), and you cannot open up the aperture anymore, and you do not have a tripod or other means to hold the camera steady, and you want to capture the action, etc. etc. -- then you might select the next higher ISO which will then allow you to select a faster shutter speed.

ISO Speed & Noise

However, all this increase in sensitivity does not come free. There is a price to pay with your image appearing more noisy.

See, when you boost the sensitivity of your image sensor by selecting a higher ISO, the image sensor is now able to record a fainter light signal. However, it is also true now that it will record fainter noise, where noise is any signal that is not attributed to the light from your subject. Remember that an image sensor is still an analog device and it generates its own noise, too! The increased sensitivity allows the image sensor to record more light signal and more noise. The ratio of light signal to noise (S/N ratio) determines the "noise" in your resultant image.

An image sensor is usually calibrated so that it gives the best image quality (greatest S/N ratio) at its lowest possible ISO speed. For most consumer digital cameras, this value will be expressed as ISO 50, ISO 64 or ISO 100. A few digital cameras use ISO 200 as their lowest ISO speed.

Just as with its film counterpart, an image sensor will exhibit "noise" (comparable to "graininess" in film) at the higher ISO speeds. Unlike film, where graininess can sometimes contribute to the mood of the image, noise produced by an image sensor is undesirable and appears as a motley of distracting coloured dots on your image.

Whatever the case, I am with you Duffy - Watching the fish from above is incredible. Especially in clear water, where you can see 20 feet to the bottom, and it's covered in fish!
you copy and paste that...knowing what all really means?
if you do...I sure would like to take you fishing for the day after you recomeed what camera i buy....i really want to learn
Old 01-27-2011, 11:55 AM

darter just go to youtube and look up cameraa options i took the curse at my school and leanred alot also how to make one shot clear and everything blurry by using certain setting once you learn the settings and how u can use thm you wont go back to using marcro and auto lol
Old 02-01-2011, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
you copy and paste that...knowing what all really means?
While I don't know near enough about photography to be any good at it, and I still have plenty to learn about well, everything... I do know enough to get into trouble

After playing with the manual settings with my camera, and learning what each specific setting adjusted - on a simple point and shoot - I began looking online for answers to why my pictures appeared grainy and sometimes unnatural.

What really has opened my eyes these days CD, is that once a photo is taken on film and developed, that one photo is more or less one of a kind. The perspective, angle, focus and on and on is what I define as real talent when it comes to photography.

Getting into a digital photography, the blessing is in the memory card which stores your photos. Get a big one. Take a lot of photos, and get a program like Lightroom to tweak them once you get them on your computer. Then when you like what you see, the raw data settings are displayed to inform you of what you changed. Contrast, White Balance, tone, sharpness etc. Most of my learning has come from geeking about with a trigger happy photo finger, and time spent playing with my photos.

Oh, and if you would like to go fishing, I have plenty more to learn about that as well.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:17 AM

Default Maybe thats a demo for an outing.....

Yes you guys I am from the old photography/film school. Came from the graphics industry as well where for many years all the photograohy was also done on big cameras using the same philosiphies and taking a lot of pics with the film camera. The digital can do a lot of the same but I sure do have some amazing shots with my old 35 mm camera and all the speial lenses just sitting in the credenza just hoping I could get a camera to use them on some day. Maybe we can make that a demo/discussion at one of our outings. Another thing we can learn from each other.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisherman Guy View Post
While I don't know near enough about photography to be any good at it, and I still have plenty to learn about well, everything... I do know enough to get into trouble

After playing with the manual settings with my camera, and learning what each specific setting adjusted - on a simple point and shoot - I began looking online for answers to why my pictures appeared grainy and sometimes unnatural.

What really has opened my eyes these days CD, is that once a photo is taken on film and developed, that one photo is more or less one of a kind. The perspective, angle, focus and on and on is what I define as real talent when it comes to photography.

Getting into a digital photography, the blessing is in the memory card which stores your photos. Get a big one. Take a lot of photos, and get a program like Lightroom to tweak them once you get them on your computer. Then when you like what you see, the raw data settings are displayed to inform you of what you changed. Contrast, White Balance, tone, sharpness etc. Most of my learning has come from geeking about with a trigger happy photo finger, and time spent playing with my photos.

Oh, and if you would like to go fishing, I have plenty more to learn about that as well.

good chance i'll see you saturday
Old 02-01-2011, 06:04 PM

...and. if all else fails or your just not that into photography..... spend as much time as you can fishing crystal cleare water in "postcard settings" and everything should work out for you.

Old 02-01-2011, 06:13 PM

decent photos bud where on earth did u take those>? crazy underwater photos
Old 02-20-2011, 08:48 PM

Default Lure Used?

What type of lures were you using. We are going there tomorrow.