Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-15-2011, 01:55 PM
Banned

Default Anyone going to the fishing derby in Grande Cache this weekend?

I see there is a derby on Grande cache and Victor lakes this weekend. Anyone here going? if so let em know and we could meet up. Were new to town and im thinking of going,. Its only 10 bucks to enter.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:28 PM
Banned

noone? well then lol
Old 02-18-2011, 01:45 PM

Is there? Do you have any info on it? I would be in for that sort of thing
Old 02-18-2011, 01:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Redneck View Post
Is there? Do you have any info on it? I would be in for that sort of thing
Yes, entry fee is $10. there is $13,000 in prizes. Its starts 8am tomorrow morning and goes till 4pm sun day. Its on 2 lakes, Victor and Grande cache lakes which are a few minutes away from each other. There is Brooks in one lake and rainbows in the other I believe. Suckers also count and theres some big suckers in that lake.
Old 02-18-2011, 01:55 PM

I'll be out on GC lake tomorrow with my daughter , might be a little nippy but fun all the same.
Old 02-18-2011, 02:01 PM

What are they calling for temperature wise? I guess it dosen't matter i have a setup with a pot belly stove that fits in the back of my pick-up. Fish in my gonch if i chose too. +20c in there once its fired up. Can you register at any time? I would be driving from GP so i doubt i would be there for 8
Old 02-18-2011, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Redneck View Post
What are they calling for temperature wise? I guess it dosen't matter i have a setup with a pot belly stove that fits in the back of my pick-up. Fish in my gonch if i chose too. +20c in there once its fired up. Can you register at any time? I would be driving from GP so i doubt i would be there for 8
There calling for a high of -17 C. You can register on the beach at GC lake at any time.
Old 02-18-2011, 02:29 PM
Banned

Ill be out there with my dog, I don't have a tent or anything, just a bucket and a rod lol.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:08 PM

So how did you make out skeeter? It was freaken cold on Sat., I got a little frost bite on my hand while dropping my lines down the hole. I was proud of my daughter for sticking it out for both days and she also won the prize for her age catagory. Our biggest fish were 1lb 7oz and 1lb 4oz for rainbows and 1lb 1oz for suckers. A friend of mine caught a ling around 4 1/2 lb and took the prize for biggest fish and the ling category. The biggest rainbow was 1lb 11oz and the biggest brookie was 1lb 4oz. It's hard to believe nothing over 2 lbs was caught, when I was a kid we were catching rainbows in victor lake up to 10lbs.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
So how did you make out skeeter? It was freaken cold on Sat., I got a little frost bite on my hand while dropping my lines down the hole. I was proud of my daughter for sticking it out for both days and she also won the prize for her age catagory. Our biggest fish were 1lb 7oz and 1lb 4oz for rainbows and 1lb 1oz for suckers. A friend of mine caught a ling around 4 1/2 lb and took the prize for biggest fish and the ling category. The biggest rainbow was 1lb 11oz and the biggest brookie was 1lb 4oz. It's hard to believe nothing over 2 lbs was caught, when I was a kid we were catching rainbows in victor lake up to 10lbs.

I went out Saturday morning but the heat and fan in my truck died and I have no ice tent or anything like that so I had to pack it in, I went back out when it warmed up a bit but I didn't get much fishing in, I was pretty bummed out.