Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-14-2008, 11:04 PM

Default Tip Up Instructions

So....I bought two tip ups today....because I want to be able to learn what I like since I'm new to ice fishing. One was super easy to set up but the second is incredibly frustrating. I know it's something simple that I'm missing. I've Googled it, but can't seem to find it. Anyone know where I can find instructions on the Sub Zero Trophy Tamer Tip-Up? Heading out to Cow tomorrow so I'd love to figure it out by then.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:33 AM

Or....any tip-up?
Old 01-15-2008, 08:28 AM
TundraBuck

Aaaah the old trophy tamer... We had a hard time when we first got ours. That is this design right?

Sort of that idea?

If so, all you do is loosen the screws to get it set up like that. Now, I know the frabill trophy tamer doesnt have that extra piece on the flag shaft, so just allow the T bar to sit about 2 or 3 inches above the plastic/wood. From there, put the flagshaft underneath the T bar. Now when the fish starts pulling out line, up goes the flag.

If you get into tipup fishing, you HAVE to get the Frabill Polar Therms. They cover the whole hole, preventing it from freezing over, and they stack nicely in a 5 gallon pail. I love them.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:02 PM

Thanks! I had it all wrong...the only thing that the packaging said was if it is windy to tuck the flag under one part, and if it is not windy to tuck the flag under another part...so I was trying to figure out how it worked if I laid the whole thing flat out instead of as a T.

I am heading back out to Cow on the weekend most likely so I'll have to test it out.
Old 01-16-2008, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mish View Post
I am heading back out to Cow on the weekend most likely so I'll have to test it out.
Good luck to ya - let us know how ya make out
Old 01-17-2008, 05:09 PM

thank 's i was just coming to post for the same thing i emailed them and this is what i got

from the manufacture

Does it have a model number ?

We don't have a picture of that tip-up . Best thing to do is take it to your local sporting goods , they will help you set it up .

"Mark
To
ca> <Denis.Tibbetts@south-bend.com>
cc
01/17/2008 08:36
Old 01-17-2008, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightmagic View Post
thank 's i was just coming to post for the same thing i emailed them and this is what i got

from the manufacture

Does it have a model number ?

We don't have a picture of that tip-up . Best thing to do is take it to your local sporting goods , they will help you set it up .

"Mark
To
ca> <Denis.Tibbetts@south-bend.com>
cc
01/17/2008 08:36

Well that's an awfully helpful manufacturer
Old 01-17-2008, 06:08 PM

That style of tip-up is my fav. I use it all the time with pike, burbot, and walleye. I love the fact that they can pulll line with ease before ya get there. I like to use a whistler jig tipped with a minnow and hang it about 6 inches from the bottom.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:02 PM
TundraBuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulecrazy View Post
That style of tip-up is my fav. I use it all the time with pike, burbot, and walleye. I love the fact that they can pulll line with ease before ya get there. I like to use a whistler jig tipped with a minnow and hang it about 6 inches from the bottom.
That's the idea of any tipup, not just that style. Beats the hell out of a rod and a reel for deadsticks.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:05 PM
Banned

i just wrap some line around an old ax handle and lay it across the hole
Old 01-18-2008, 01:12 AM

Smile Javex Bottle

Just take an old javex bottle and wrap some line around it. When the fish takes the hook the bottle goes in the hole and the fish is hooked. Never fails.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:13 AM
TundraBuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilbur View Post
i just wrap some line around an old ax handle and lay it across the hole
Well how can you tell when you have a hit? And you don't use braid?! Man that's gotta hurt when you hook a big fish.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TundraBuck View Post
Well how can you tell when you have a hit? And you don't use braid?! Man that's gotta hurt when you hook a big fish.
I put on bailer twine and a big spoon and a large herring i don't need to know if i have a hit he'll be there when i check
Old 01-18-2008, 05:01 PM
TundraBuck

Quote:
I put on bailer twine and a big spoon and a large herring i don't need to know if i have a hit he'll be there when i check
Guthooked. What if it's undersized, then what do you do?
Old 01-19-2008, 02:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TundraBuck View Post
Guthooked. What if it's undersized, then what do you do?
it isn't gut hooked
Old 01-19-2008, 10:17 AM
TundraBuck

Quote:
it isn't gut hooked
Ummm if there is bait on the hook, and you don't have some sort of strike indicator, yes, it will more then likely be guthooked, and I'm sure anyone here can back me up.
Old 01-19-2008, 11:00 AM

wibur you sound kind of like a knob
Old 01-19-2008, 06:40 PM
Banned

i am not a knob i didn't gut hook fish i use a filleting knife to clean them i like my ax handle tipup i can keep the fish anyway give me an email if you have a problem with my tip up wilburyellowknife@hotmail.com
Old 01-19-2008, 06:46 PM

an ax handle isnt a tipup!
Old 01-19-2008, 08:07 PM
TundraBuck

Quote:
i am not a knob i didn't gut hook fish i use a filleting knife to clean them i like my ax handle tipup i can keep the fish anyway give me an email if you have a problem with my tip up wilburyellowknife@hotmail.com
A filleting knife has nothing to do with guthooking a fish. I'm not bashing you but I am just saying gut hooking fish is not very ethical. I hate it. Its the same as shooting an animal in the guts really. You can't always keep the fish, if they aren't the right size (pike = 63 cm) etc.
Old 02-20-2010, 02:03 PM

Ok, I am new to tip ups as well but have figured it out up to the spool of line. How do you stop the line spoolin out if you want to be 8-10" inches from the bottom?
Old 02-20-2010, 02:07 PM

your flag will put upward pressure on the trigger which stops the spool... so when a fish buys and runs the trigger spins releasing the flag and line. so you will have to adjust line to your deisred 8-10inches off the bottom and set the flag which will hold it in place.. dont for get to account for length of the spool being below the ice surface.
Old 02-20-2010, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by javlin101 View Post
Ok, I am new to tip ups as well but have figured it out up to the spool of line. How do you stop the line spoolin out if you want to be 8-10" inches from the bottom?
Is it a beaver dam style tip up?

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 02-20-2010, 02:13 PM

Yes but the orange plastic sub zero.
Old 02-20-2010, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munyee4321 View Post
your flag will put upward pressure on the trigger which stops the spool... so when a fish buys and runs the trigger spins releasing the flag and line. so you will have to adjust line to your deisred 8-10inches off the bottom and set the flag which will hold it in place.. dont for get to account for length of the spool being below the ice surface.
Ok duh, thanks now it makes perfect sense, I am a knob!
Old 02-20-2010, 02:21 PM

Okay . . . if it is the same style as the one in the picture I should be able to explain how I do it.

In the picture, there is a ring to the right of the spool. The ring is connected to the metal rod that holds the spool.

I run my line from the spool and straight through that ring. I don't wrap it around the ring, just run the line through it. This prevents the line from falling off of the spool. If your jig (if that's what you're using) is too heavy you'll see that ring spinning in circles as your bait falls to the bottom. If that happens, use a lighter jig.

Your tip up might have an adjustment that will allow you to use heavier baits and jigs. One of mine does and the other doesn't.

Other people may do it differently, but I've discovered that what works best for me

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 02-20-2010, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAisling View Post
Okay . . . if it is the same style as the one in the picture I should be able to explain how I do it.

In the picture, there is a ring to the right of the spool. The ring is connected to the metal rod that holds the spool.

I run my line from the spool and straight through that ring. I don't wrap it around the ring, just run the line through it. This prevents the line from falling off of the spool. If your jig (if that's what you're using) is too heavy you'll see that ring spinning in circles as your bait falls to the bottom. If that happens, use a lighter jig.

Your tip up might have an adjustment that will allow you to use heavier baits and jigs. One of mine does and the other doesn't.

Other people may do it differently, but I've discovered that what works best for me
Thanks I got it figured out now. One more question. It came with heavy black line so can I put a swivle on that & then a hook?
Old 02-20-2010, 02:32 PM

ya sure can... but i find that line is crap lol.... depending on your targeted fish species.. most commonly pike.... i would switch up to dacron line it holds knots alot better. At WSS 150yard spool of anywhere from 20lbs -80lbs is 8-10bucks.... its thick enough to not cut your hands on a fight but thin enough to spool on a good amount.
Old 02-20-2010, 02:35 PM

I use the thick black line in 50lb, I think. I attach a swivel to the end of it, and then I attached a leader (either steel or 80lb fluorocarbon) to the tip-up line. I attach the jig or quick-strike rig to the leader.

Old 02-20-2010, 04:58 PM

Great thanks guys I will give it a try next weekend.

Jim