Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-03-2013, 11:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutter87 View Post
Why should you get a refund? You were under the impression barbed hooks were illegal and chose not to debard them. Whether it was legal or not you thought it was illegal and did it anyways. No refunds should be given.

Also, Last February i believe it was still illegal to use Barbs, Only from March 31st would it have been legal.
You are wrong again.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
You are wrong again.
How am I wrong? I said I belive the law changed for this fishing season, not that God himself said the laws changed this season.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:01 AM

Quote:
How am I wrong? I said I belive the law changed for this fishing season, not that God himself said the laws changed this season.
september 2011 is when it changed.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelada trochu View Post
In their haste to rewrite the laws so business could suck lakes and rivers dry.

Wonder what else is legal their not telling us. Maybe spear fishing through the ice is good to go now too.
Anyone got a pitchfork i can borrow. Their all out at ct
They already do that when the canals drain down .
Old 01-04-2013, 03:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapalaman View Post
Well it seems a very uneducated f&w officer gave me a $200 ticket last febuary at Wabuman lake,He drove up on a snowmobile not wearing a helmet or his uniform. so with this new regulation going on does that mean i get a refund of my money and if so how do i go about getting it back??

Thanks....Greg.l
You and 599 other anglers will have the decision reversed and your money refunded. Contact the Solicitor General's office for details.
The Province of AB and the Feds are working at correcting the language and re-introducing the amendments. The mistake was made at the Federal (Fisheries) level, so the Provincial employee was acting within his rights when your ticket was issued.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Why should you get a refund? You were under the impression barbed hooks were illegal and chose not to debard them. Whether it was legal or not you thought it was illegal and did it anyways. No refunds should be given.

Also, Last February i believe it was still illegal to use Barbs, Only from March 31st would it have been legal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.mywildalberta.com
"Barbless Hooks
Fishing
The Government of Alberta is asking Alberta’s anglers to keep barbed hooks out of our waters.

Last fall, an inadvertent federal amendment to the Alberta Fishery Regulations removed the barbed hook ban. The omission was not immediately noted and has affected about 600 Albertans who were ticketed for using barbed hooks.

Officials from ESRD and Justice and Solicitor General are working to rectify the problem by withdrawing charges and reversing wrongful convictions and fines for those individuals affected since September 2011....

C'mon Mutter.....
Old 01-05-2013, 05:26 PM

Default barbed hooks

Just so you know i did pinch my barbs just not far enough for him he had to put the hook in his shirt and then pull it out and one strand got caught so he fined me.

And as far as the date goes people were posting on here that the law passed in sep not march therefore since the whole deal that day was a joke ya i do think i should get my $200 dollers back.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:42 PM

Barbs dont kill fish, idiots using barbs kill fish. Seen some pretty disgusting fish handling out there.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:47 PM

I kept my barbs on today on the one line I fished today. Guess the fishgods knew something was up...Not one bite all day
Aint that the way she goes
Old 01-05-2013, 05:51 PM

was slow out my way too. gorgeous day tho
Old 01-05-2013, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
You are wrong again.
I am have the popcorn in the microwave and the timer is ready ........... finger on the button ...........
Old 01-05-2013, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flieguy View Post
i would like to see more encouragement to use circle hooks. especially when using bait. they are designed to lip hook fish only, and do not dig into the gullet or gills. I spoke to a trout unlimited member who took part in an experimental use of circle hooks and they found that the fish suffered much less stress, to the point where they were catching the same trout on the same day. In my experience unbarbed circle hooks are much more effective at landing fish than unbarbed straight hooks, and are much easier on the fish too

x2
Old 01-05-2013, 08:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishonthefly View Post
Barbs dont kill fish, idiots using barbs kill fish. Seen some pretty disgusting fish handling out there.
I guess your right, enlighten me, How many $17 Rapalas you cut off fish tht were hooked deep and couldn't get the hook out due to barbs?