Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 02:44 PM

Default Cold Lake

Only information I have is it was caufght last Sunday and weighs 32 lbs. I cant seem to get the picture uplooaded so if I can send it to someone so they can upload it I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks, it is a nice picture..
Old 01-26-2013, 05:34 PM

Way to go Pete J
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (30.6 KB, 857 views)
Old 01-26-2013, 05:35 PM

Holy cow

Good job
Old 01-26-2013, 05:37 PM

Awesome catch. Can I ask what size hole did you get that from
Old 01-26-2013, 06:09 PM

Nice fish. Too bad that 40 year old fish isn't still swimming around, but still i don't think anyone will blame you for wanting a mount. Now if thats going in the smoker...
Old 01-26-2013, 06:14 PM

I have the same white jars to hol my sugar!!!
Old 01-26-2013, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levy View Post
Nice fish. Too bad that 40 year old fish isn't still swimming around, but still i don't think anyone will blame you for wanting a mount. Now if thats going in the smoker...
Nah, a fish like that you cut up into steaks, then smoke just a little for extra flavor...
Old 01-26-2013, 06:35 PM

nice
Old 01-26-2013, 09:52 PM
Banned

Yup heck of a fish congrats on the catch its a dandy.. I usually don't do this but,,, to bad it wasn't returned to the water,, poor lake won't be long there will be nothing but 5 pounders left..
Old 01-26-2013, 11:49 PM

why why why a replica is 10 time better,
Old 01-27-2013, 12:18 AM

That's a beauty but what a shame that's it's not still in the lake
Old 01-27-2013, 01:43 AM

holy ****! that's a hog! Nice catch I hope I can get somewhere close to that next saturday!
Old 01-27-2013, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levy View Post
I would put that fish at +50 years old easily. SRD could be interested in it. Should give them a call and see if the head or other body parts would be wanted for studying. Up in Northern Alberta or in the NWT a 30lbs laker is like a 20lbs pike. A nice fish but she’s no wall hanger.

Unfortunately the way the fishing pressure and regulations are today, those size of fish will be a thing of the past. If Cold Lake could be managed correctly, trophies like that could be a semi-regular occurrence. Think of the economic spin-offs from a trophy fishery like that and how we would all benefit from it. Sadly the common angler is too greedy and the government too short sighted to think about the long term.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 208prov View Post
why why why a replica is 10 time better,
Absolutely! They look just as good and don't age like real mounts... That's a lot of eggs from good stock that is not in the lake anymore. I'm pretty much C&R only. Alberta is f'ed for fishing if guys don't clue in. See catch and kill down south a lot on big pike and it drives me nuts!

Great fish though!! Congrats on the catch.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penner View Post
I would put that fish at +50 years old easily. SRD could be interested in it. Should give them a call and see if the head or other body parts would be wanted for studying. Up in Northern Alberta or in the NWT a 30lbs laker is like a 20lbs pike. A nice fish but she’s no wall hanger.

Unfortunately the way the fishing pressure and regulations are today, those size of fish will be a thing of the past. If Cold Lake could be managed correctly, trophies like that could be a semi-regular occurrence. Think of the economic spin-offs from a trophy fishery like that and how we would all benefit from it. Sadly the common angler is too greedy and the government too short sighted to think about the long term.
I am sick and tired of people getting criticized for keeping fish, it is not against the law. Here is a question for you. How many people will pass a 200 plus inch whitetail because they want it to spread its genetics. The answer I am sure will be no one. A trophy is a trophy, every bodies standards are different, it is what matters in the eye of the beholder.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrydude View Post
Awesome catch. Can I ask what size hole did you get that from
^^
ya what he said
Old 01-27-2013, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crownb View Post
I am sick and tired of people getting criticized for keeping fish, it is not against the law. Here is a question for you. How many people will pass a 200 plus inch whitetail because they want it to spread its genetics. The answer I am sure will be no one. A trophy is a trophy, every bodies standards are different, it is what matters in the eye of the beholder.
I would have tossed it back after measurements and pics but agree 100%. Angler's choice.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Can't compare the two.. If a deer herd is in trouble they can close it down for a couple years and generaly it is on its way. A 200' buck can grow in 5 years a 30# plus Laker is 40 - 50 years old,, get the picture.

Now,, yes you are right its not always good to be critical but at the same time there is nothing wrong with trying to educate people in conservation God knows this province isn't interested in it so its up to us to save our fisheries. If this was a picture of some one keeping their limit of some fresh walleye for supper I wouldn't of blinked an eye,, but its not. This is a rare find this day and age,, we must start to protect these fish. It is only through sites like this that we can get the message out there and hopefully change the thought pattern,, its not just take, take anymore there are just to many people out there doing this the lake can not take it..

This fish will be without a doubt one of the worst table fare there is,, not even close to being good eating, not healthy because of the length of time its been soakiing up toxins from the water just not a good keep no matter how you look at it. It as only good for the picture taken, the same objective could have been achieved by taking the pic and tossing it back.

Sorry for the rant, but I will not appoligise for trying to protect that fishery..
Old 01-27-2013, 09:04 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacklerunner View Post
I would have tossed it back after measurements and pics but agree 100%. Angler's choice.
Come on guys if the fish was caught legal and the angler wants to keep it than it is a choice made within the law, great fish!! Congrats!

Nice ice fishing shack too...
Old 01-27-2013, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Come on guys if the fish was caught legal and the angler wants to keep it than it is a choice made within the law, great fish!! Congrats!

Nice ice fishing shack too...
Absolutely... Bought his licence, followed the rules..*His choice... Nice fish!!
Old 01-27-2013, 09:12 AM

Anglers don't make the rules they just follow them....this is one large kept fish. How many more are kept that no one sees on the web....LOTS.

Hammer on the rule makers not the game players....if people are told they can keep something then some will. They technically did nothing wrong. The fisheries management folks need to take a really close look to what they want the fisheries to look like in this province 10 and 20 years down the line.

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 01-27-2013 at 09:20 AM.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:13 AM
Banned

Absolutey right..

Keep at er,, won't be long all we will have is old faded pictures of these giants, just faded old pictures..
Old 01-27-2013, 09:15 AM

He had to die of something... Those toxins were clearly getting to him
Old 01-27-2013, 09:15 AM

nice fish, thanks for killing it....
Old 01-27-2013, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don K View Post
Absolutely! They look just as good and don't age like real mounts... That's a lot of eggs from good stock that is not in the lake anymore. I'm pretty much C&R only. Alberta is f'ed for fishing if guys don't clue in. See catch and kill down south a lot on big pike and it drives me nuts!

Great fish though!! Congrats on the catch.
The way some of you guys talk on here it's to late ready, might as well keep what you can because the days of good fishing are over. You can't over preach, we are talking about one fish on cold lake so far this year. Well maybe more I know a lot of people who have caught some great fish but will not post pics anymore because they are tired of getting criticized, bottom line is to many people and not enough good fisheries in Alberta, that can't be fixed unless a lot of people move away and that's not going to happen, so enjoy now.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:21 AM

Quote:
The way some of you guys talk on here it's to late ready, might as well keep what you can because the days of good fishing are over. You can't over preach, we are talking about one fish on cold lake so far this year. Well maybe more I know a lot of people who have caught some great fish but will not post pics anymore because they are tired of getting criticized, bottom line is to many people and not enough good fisheries in Alberta, that can't be fixed unless a lot of people move away and that's not going to happen, so enjoy now.
So is your message take what you can while you can because it won't get better?

LC
Old 01-27-2013, 09:25 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Yep we are surrounded by individuals who cant say great job, nice fish gotta run down a law abiding citizen...yep focus on the good guys eh!
Old 01-27-2013, 09:26 AM

Wow Grats !!! very nice Laker ..yep i would mount the real fish ..once in a life time

there are year class for every year in every Lake as well as hunting

Thanks for sharing

David
Old 01-27-2013, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyes View Post
Can't compare the two.. If a deer herd is in trouble they can close it down for a couple years and generaly it is on its way. A 200' buck can grow in 5 years a 30# plus Laker is 40 - 50 years old
I am not agreeing with the poster you were knocking about the deer and I understand what you are saying about genetics, but your example is not a good one, if a 200" buck will just grow in 5 years than there would be hundreds of Booners shot every year. It takes a very special combination of genetics and antler growing conditions to create such a rare animal...similar to the years it takes to grow a big Laker...

And btw great Laker...BEAUTY!!!
Old 01-27-2013, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevwood View Post
I am not agreeing with the poster you were knocking about the deer and I understand what you are saying about genetics, but your example is not a good one, if a 200" buck will just grow in 5 years than there would be hundreds of Booners shot every year. It takes a very special combination of genetics and antler growing conditions to create such a rare animal...similar to the years it takes to grow a big Laker...

And btw great Laker...BEAUTY!!!
X2 not every deer that is five years old is 200 inches
Closed Thread