Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-13-2014, 05:54 PM

Default Gull lake today!

After a wicked freezing rain storm I was tempted to turn around and just go home but I decided to drive a bit slower and make it out to gull.

Lots of people out on the ice and many fish were seen. I missed around 5 whitefish (didn't set the hook good enough, and couldn't tie a hook right apparently cause one fell off) saw a whole wack of perch and a couple pike.

Brass and gold wetaskiwins or gold and green Cicaidas worked awesome on the whitefish and perch. Couldn't get one to bite my trusty wire worm.

Fished in around 15-20FOW and was aggressively jigging the mentioned lures. Ice was 9" with a crusty layer on top. Cleats are definitely needed. By days end I managed 2 whites, 2 perch, and one pike.

Forgot to mention... I peered down my hole and noticed a auger blade and 2 screws down the hole. Thought to my self sucks to be the poor sod who lost that blade before me. Then I thought to my self wait a second... It was mine... Then to top it all off my throttle trigger broke off. But ended up to be a great day.

Tight lines everyone.
Old 12-13-2014, 06:26 PM

Sorry to hear about the auger blade...sounds like something I would do, had a good laugh about how you described it. Looks like from the fish it was well worth it anyways!

I will be out at Gull tomorrow for the first time, I think from the sound of things Brownlows is the place to go, driving from Calgary so hope to be out there for 9ish if I make out as good as you did I will be happy, those whitefish are a real pain in the a** for me always. I will be in a blue Clam tent if anyone from the forum wants to come and say hi!
#1 win the lottery (so I could fish everyday)
#2 & 3 still thinking.....
Old 12-13-2014, 08:41 PM

Those Perch look Yummy !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-1cB...ature=youtu.be
Old 12-13-2014, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianBadass View Post
Those Perch look Yummy !

Fried them up soon as I got home! Can't wait to get some more.
Old 12-13-2014, 09:39 PM

Thanks for sharing

BW
Old 12-14-2014, 10:42 PM

Hahaha, that's some bad luck with the auger! I could see that happening to me - laughing at someone else's misfortune first, then getting screwed over in the end...lol. Nice catches though!
Old 12-15-2014, 11:39 PM

Not trying to hijack a thread. Though I guess thats exactly what's it happening. Reason being I don't feel the need for yet another gull lake thread.

Anyone gonna be out Friday? I've never been. Never been out for whites. And hoping to go out and snatch some tips from a veteran or two about wireworms, whites, etc. I got all my own gear. Just hoping to avoid the smelly skunk.
Old 12-16-2014, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Eh View Post
Not trying to hijack a thread. Though I guess thats exactly what's it happening. Reason being I don't feel the need for yet another gull lake thread.

Anyone gonna be out Friday? I've never been. Never been out for whites. And hoping to go out and snatch some tips from a veteran or two about wireworms, whites, etc. I got all my own gear. Just hoping to avoid the smelly skunk.

Pm on it's way.
Old 12-16-2014, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassett View Post
After a wicked freezing rain storm I was tempted to turn around and just go home but I decided to drive a bit slower and make it out to gull.

Lots of people out on the ice and many fish were seen. I missed around 5 whitefish (didn't set the hook good enough, and couldn't tie a hook right apparently cause one fell off) saw a whole wack of perch and a couple pike.

Brass and gold wetaskiwins or gold and green Cicaidas worked awesome on the whitefish and perch. Couldn't get one to bite my trusty wire worm.

Fished in around 15-20FOW and was aggressively jigging the mentioned lures. Ice was 9" with a crusty layer on top. Cleats are definitely needed. By days end I managed 2 whites, 2 perch, and one pike.

Forgot to mention... I peered down my hole and noticed a auger blade and 2 screws down the hole. Thought to my self sucks to be the poor sod who lost that blade before me. Then I thought to my self wait a second... It was mine... Then to top it all off my throttle trigger broke off. But ended up to be a great day.

Tight lines everyone.
Cool pics! Sounds like you did good! OK maybe not so much with the blade etc but at least you got them out of the water!
Old 12-16-2014, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker2 View Post
Cool pics! Sounds like you did good! OK maybe not so much with the blade etc but at least you got them out of the water!

Worst part is the throttle trigger must have fell out of my sled on the pull out so I'm now stuck with a auger without a throttle. I guess I can just pull on the cord.... Lol
Old 12-16-2014, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishslayer99 View Post
Sorry to hear about the auger blade...sounds like something I would do, had a good laugh about how you described it. Looks like from the fish it was well worth it anyways!

I will be out at Gull tomorrow for the first time, I think from the sound of things Brownlows is the place to go, driving from Calgary so hope to be out there for 9ish if I make out as good as you did I will be happy, those whitefish are a real pain in the a** for me always. I will be in a blue Clam tent if anyone from the forum wants to come and say hi!
Watch for the roads around the city, winter driving has been treacherous with visibility to slick roads. And to the OP great pics of some good fish!
Old 12-16-2014, 11:32 PM

Hey bassett, my friend's auger had problems and he took it to this place between calmar and leduc..centrepoint performance or something like that. They got rid of some plastic parts and replaced it with a sweet metal trigger. I'd try them...could end up with a new and improved model, and was very reasonably priced
Old 12-17-2014, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAirGetter View Post
Hey bassett, my friend's auger had problems and he took it to this place between calmar and leduc..centrepoint performance or something like that. They got rid of some plastic parts and replaced it with a sweet metal trigger. I'd try them...could end up with a new and improved model, and was very reasonably priced

I will forsure be looking into it. Thank you very much for the info!
Old 12-20-2014, 04:49 PM

Are you allowed to use dead minnows as bait on Gull lake?

Thanks for the help
Old 12-20-2014, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rms View Post

Thanks for the help

Pretty sure, just don't take my word as the law. Especially since I don't use bait!!!
Old 12-20-2014, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rms View Post

Thanks for the help
Yes you can.

Pike 25
Walleye 5
Lake Whitefish 6
Suckers 1
Lake Trout 22
Tiger Trout 5
Rainbow Trout 26

20 days fished
18 days fished from my Hobie
Old 12-20-2014, 05:10 PM

Thank you
Old 12-22-2014, 03:17 PM

Thanks for all the help, I went ice fishing for the first time since moving to Alberta and caught a 30 inch Pike and 2 perch today on Gull lake. Missed a lot of bits and lightly hooked perch as well.

Ryan
Old 12-22-2014, 03:40 PM

Cool

WoW! Nice going! It's more than I've caught the past few days!

Great pictures going to drive to gull over Christmas holiday for my first time at gull

Good on ya, I was out as well and caught a bunch of perch Didn,t even see a pike
Old 12-22-2014, 04:57 PM

Went out Sunday, saw around 7 whites, 10 or so perch and a couple of jacks including an absolute hog! Couldn't get anything to bite. Girlfriend managed one pike.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:18 PM

We have been seeing monster pike, bigger than anything we have seen over the last number of years. Not sure if that's a good sign or not. Are the smaller ones out deeper? Or is there no smaller pike
Old 12-22-2014, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoteblaster View Post
We have been seeing monster pike, bigger than anything we have seen over the last number of years. Not sure if that's a good sign or not. Are the smaller ones out deeper? Or is there no smaller pike

That small one picture well both of them were around 12fow. The monster pike was from same.
Old 12-22-2014, 07:01 PM

Sounds similar to our day at B-Low's ... I imagine the g/f had a bigger smile than you .... lol!

Z-z

Old 12-22-2014, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip-in-Z View Post
Sounds similar to our day at B-Low's ... I imagine the g/f had a bigger smile than you .... lol!

Z-z

She was smiling so much she couldn't hold the fish!

Just kidding.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:27 PM

Default Brownlows

Were you able to drive up to Brownlows and if so how did you do? Pigeon has 14 to 15 inches of ice and I've been driving on it for the last three weeks. The first time there was about 12 inches but with all the snow I got into some flood water which is now all frozen and a new trail has been started with all the trucks that have been going on. Fishing was great then but slowed up a tad however the fish sure are huge. My biggest so far is 6.8 lbs a monster that I had a hell of a time getting out of the hole because of its size and strength trying to get my finger under its gill plate. Cheers. I'm gonna miss it 4 more days and AZ here I come.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:30 PM

I managed one small 4 LB pike today. He hammered my cicada as I was bringing it up to pack up. REALLY slow. Saw 2 small whites and zero perch. At least it was a nice warm day out :-)
Old 12-22-2014, 09:33 PM

Default Brownlows

Were you able to drive up to Brownlows and if so how did you do? Pigeon has 14 to 15 inches of ice and I've been driving on it for the last three weeks. The first time there was about 12 inches but with all the snow I got into some flood water which is now all frozen and a new trail has been started with all the trucks that have been going on. Fishing was great then but slowed up a tad however the fish sure are huge. My biggest so far is 6.8 lbs a monster that I had a hell of a time getting out of the hole because of its size and strength trying to get my finger under its gill plate. Cheers. I'm gonna miss it 4 more days and AZ here I come.
Old 12-23-2014, 05:59 AM

Default Gull lake today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCovin View Post

I don't drive on the ice I only and will always pull my sled. Gull you don't require going out far maybe 100 yards so it's not that bad. I don't go to brown lows so I don't know the access. Check out Zip In Z brown low report thread. Him and bwackbabbit go out a lot.

And you've been driving on for 3 WEEKS?! Your crazy haha!!