Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-22-2015, 06:28 PM

I bought a baitcaster and found out you have to be patient. I'm saying this because I sure the hell wasn't and I almost threw it in the lake a few times. But I got the hang of it and it works good
Old 07-22-2015, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverbc View Post
Baitcasters, and Single action reels, allow better control of your float, when float fishing salmon and steelhead. You can free spool them downstream, controlling speed with your thumb, and feel every little bump.
By backing off the free spooling drag of the reel, and just using your thumb for casting and drifting, you will outcast any open face spinning reel, by miles.
I agree with everything everyone is saying about the bait casters they do have an important role the one thing I can't agree on is the fact that people say that they cast farther than a spinning reel I have yet to see someone cast further than me with a bait caster while I use a spin,to me the mechanics don't allow this to happen I use both and have buddy's that use them religiousally and have not yet been ever out cast when it comes to distance.Lets say I've made a few bucks off guys I've fished with over the years who thought they could out cast me with the same baits.i mean I don't know call it luck, but the bass pro guys sure didn't have much to say after our distance challenges and these guys know what their doing.awsome reels to have in arsenal just not my first choice when it comes to castings long distances.
Old 07-22-2015, 09:54 PM

Horsepower! I've turned 30# muskies around when on a run. Hard on rods but it's an amazing feeling!
Old 07-22-2015, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty1 View Post
I agree with everything everyone is saying about the bait casters they do have an important role the one thing I can't agree on is the fact that people say that they cast farther than a spinning reel I have yet to see someone cast further than me with a bait caster while I use a spin,to me the mechanics don't allow this to happen I use both and have buddy's that use them religiousally and have not yet been ever out cast when it comes to distance.Lets say I've made a few bucks off guys I've fished with over the years who thought they could out cast me with the same baits.i mean I don't know call it luck, but the bass pro guys sure didn't have much to say after our distance challenges and these guys know what their doing.awsome reels to have in arsenal just not my first choice when it comes to castings long distances.
Can you empty your spool on your spinning reel?

Spinning reels made up a lot of ground when they went to longer(wider spools). When spools were deep and narrow it was no contest.

edit: there were a couple other major improvements in spinning reels in the last 10-15 years(maybe less-getting old) that have helped the spinning reel as well.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.

Last edited by huntsfurfish; 07-22-2015 at 10:17 PM.
Old 07-23-2015, 06:49 AM
Banned

I really like my LEWS baitcasters and they have come a long way. Not sure who carries Lews but I ordered mind thru tackle warehouse when the dollar was more reasonable in winter. The BB1 and Speed Spool Lite are the ones I tried and blow the Shimano out the door.
Old 07-23-2015, 10:21 AM

Quote:
The reel is only one part of the equation - the rod flex, rod length, material used on the guides, weight of the lure and of course how you cast it determines the distance you will get.

The other thing is 95% of the guys that use baitcasters have the brakes set - to prevent backlash. This reduces the casting distance.

All things being equal a properly set up baitcaster in capable hands will cast further.

All the distance record in the long cast use bait casters. There is just too much drag on the line leaving the lip on a spinning reel. I know that's apples to oranges for most fisherman - so your comment is fair.

I still reach for the spinning reel most of the time ..... not sure why .... I just do. Both have a place in my rod locker.
Old 07-23-2015, 10:35 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post

Can you ?

One thing I learned a long time ago. An old fishermans trick, when you might be asked to prove it, don't claim you can do it, ask if the other guy can do it.

Puts folks on the defensive so they will be too busy defending their abilities to ask about yours.

On the internet anyone can claim anything, it don't make it so.

I can claim to be able to cast 400 miles. Lets see you prove I can't.

See how that works.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 07-23-2015, 10:37 AM

I tried the Browning baitcaster out I bought for my son a couple of weeks back - I wasn't getting the distance I can get with my Quantum spinning setup but I was being pretty conservative & had the anti backlash set etc. as I've never used a baitcaster that small before. I get some pretty decent casts with my Quantum and I like using it because it has the drag on the back of the reel - but I feel with some fine tuning and once I get the feel of it I should be able to equal or exceed the distance I get with the spinning.

I still like the one hand control I get with the baitcaster, being able to slow the spool down mid cast and using my thumb as an extra brake when the fish runs.
Old 07-23-2015, 10:44 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
The reel is only one part of the equation - the rod flex, rod length, material used on the guides, weight of the lure and of course how you cast it determines the distance you will get.

The other thing is 95% of the guys that use baitcasters have the brakes set - to prevent backlash. This reduces the casting distance.

All things being equal a properly set up baitcaster in capable hands will cast further.

All the distance record in the long cast use bait casters. There is just too much drag on the line leaving the lip on a spinning reel. I know that's apples to oranges for most fisherman - so your comment is fair.

I still reach for the spinning reel most of the time ..... not sure why .... I just do. Both have a place in my rod locker.

That I can believe.

But I'll still stick with spin casters for casting because I find them easier to use and I don't need to impress anyone with my casting ability.

When the creek is only twenty yards across the other 230 yards isn't of much use.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 07-23-2015, 11:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
Can you ?

One thing I learned a long time ago. An old fishermans trick, when you might be asked to prove it, don't claim you can do it, ask if the other guy can do it.

Puts folks on the defensive so they will be too busy defending their abilities to ask about yours.

See how that works.
But what if you can?

I made what some thought were some pretty outrageous claims on an another forum one time and took a flaming for it, until I took a video of my claims and posted it. There was a shortage of crow for the amount that was served for dinner that day.

I hear what you're saying, and there are some things a guy just has to see to believe.
Old 07-23-2015, 11:16 AM

I use a Shimano Calais.........fantastic reel with almost no backlashing. I do have the brakes set up high but I wouldn't trade it for anything when casting medium to large sized lures. Also enjoy trolling with it but often opt for my Penn set up for that. I also only fish Northern Sask so I have a specific usage.
Old 07-23-2015, 11:26 AM

Quote:

i agree EZM

Old 07-23-2015, 11:29 AM

Also, don't forget to set brake and free wheel every time you change lure. Or you will be building a bird's home. Other then being more of a technical setup than a spin reel, once you master them they are quite enjoyable.
Great for casting light lures and even better for heavy ones.
Old 07-23-2015, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Can you ?

See how that works.
Yes Keg, I can and have done it, but only with a baitcaster. Spinning reel with old spools pretty much impossible, even modern spools would be highly unlikely(which was the point I was trying to make). You are welcome to a demo anytime you are down. Because unlike you I can prove it!

Last edited by huntsfurfish; 07-23-2015 at 11:57 AM.
Old 07-23-2015, 12:18 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Yes Keg, I can and have done it, but only with a baitcaster. Spinning reel with old spools pretty much impossible, even modern spools would be highly unlikely(which was the point I was trying to make). You are welcome to a demo anytime you are down. Because unlike you I can prove it!
Of course you can, and I can too. On the net anyone can prove anything.

250 yards is a very long way. But of course I know that's not what you are claiming. You just want us to believe that's what you are saying.

So just how far can you cast with the rig. 100, 120 yards ? If you could manage that it would be remarkable.

Yes I did notice you avoided putting a figure to your claim. That too is an old old ploy.

You might be able to convince a few kids, but most folks know that talk is just talk.

Tell us in feet meters or yards and you might be believed. Try to snow us with none specific claims and you make yourself look the fool.

Yup, I can empty the spool on my spin caster, if I only put ten yards of line on it. 250 yards ? Even with a bow that would take some skill.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 07-23-2015, 01:09 PM

Casting distance aside ..... the real advantage to me personally is precision. My bait caster will cast further (but then again I've had lots of practice with all 6 brakes in the off position).

The fact that you can chuck a lure and thumb the spool to have it land precisely where you want it to by either letting up on the spool (so it carries further) or applying a little pressure to the spool (to slow it down and have it drop short) is where I really enjoy my bait caster.

All the other things like being comfortable in your hand, having a very smooth drag, etc... are bonuses.

Bait Casters are about twice as much money compared to spinning reels - and I am 100% convinced a cheap bait caster (say $180 and under) isn't a good one. They just don't perform the same. Trust me - I've purchased a few before I settled on what I'm currently using. $200 buys you a decent mid range bait caster.

On the other hand you can get an excellent mid to higher end spinning reel for $150.

It really is apples to oranges if you are talking dollar for dollar. Having said all this good stuff about the bait casters - if I only had $ 150 to spend on a reel - it would be a spinning reel 10/10 times.
Old 07-23-2015, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Bait Casters are about twice as much money compared to spinning reels - and I am 100% convinced a cheap bait caster (say $180 and under) isn't a good one. They just don't perform the same. Trust me - I've purchased a few before I settled on what I'm currently using. $200 buys you a decent mid range bait caster.

On the other hand you can get an excellent mid to higher end spinning reel for $150.

It really is apples to oranges if you are talking dollar for dollar. Having said all this good stuff about the bait casters - if I only had $ 150 to spend on a reel - it would be a spinning reel 10/10 times.
Interesting - I found the Browning I tried pretty comparable to my AB-Ambassadeur as far as casting & retrieval went. The Browning listed for about $150 I think at Bass Pro & I think I paid about $150 for my Abu-Garcia 6600, but that was 30+ years ago too.

My son in law just picked up this reel too, said he's not used to the casting yet but really likes it compared to his spinning reel - and it's a <$150 reel..

I may just have to try one of the more expensive ones and check them out though..
Old 07-23-2015, 01:50 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:

Well now it all starts to make sense.

I don't believe cost has been mentioned till now. For what I fish that would be a major downside.

That could well be the difference. I've fished for years with the same reel and it has always done everything I needed it to do. But there are no Salmon here and what is here can be caught without mortgaging the house.

I still don't buy that anyone can cast 250 yards with any fishing setup. But greater distance and precision could well be available for a higher price.

If that's what one needs maybe a bait caster would be a good investment.
For me and I suspect for most Alberta waters it would not be a wise choice.

I have fished all over Alberta and in a number of places in the Northwest Territories as well as in the Pacific ocean. I have yet to find a place where my old Zebco would not do the job within it's size capabilities.

Obviously I'm not about to try to pull a 200lb Halibut out of 500 feet of water or wrestle a 30 lb Salmon across the lower Skeena with a cheap freshwater reel. But for the Pike and Walleye I fish, it is more then enough.

Why spend money I don't need to spend.

Edit; I use a $40.00 Zebco.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 07-23-2015, 02:46 PM

Quote:

Spinning reels made up a lot of ground when they went to longer(wider spools). When spools were deep and narrow it was no contest.

edit: there were a couple other major improvements in spinning reels in the last 10-15 years(maybe less-getting old) that have helped the spinning reel as well.
With some baits on a size 2000 spooled up with fresh line I'll cast and see the spool at the btm,but your right they have designed spinning reel (spools)to be much more effective at casting for long distance.
Old 07-23-2015, 03:25 PM
Banned

Look up longest cast competition on YouTube, if anyone can find a competitor using a spinning reel please post a link, otherwise I think it's safe to say that there is no way a spinning reel can out cast a baitcast reel given both users are experienced in using their equipment.
Old 07-23-2015, 05:52 PM

Default I think your right Kurt

A guy from the UK who I took on his first and only
Ice fishing trip ......left me a magasine on shore fishing in the
UK ....seashore .....They talk about casting a hundred meters
With large Baitcasting reels and 14 ft rods .....if spinning
Was better they would use them but all Baitcasters ....
I know 300 ft .....when I go there .....I will go surf casting
And check it out ....

New world casting record with Baitcaster 281 meters

http://www.planetseafishing.com/vide...casting-record

I could cast across Travers

Last edited by Winch101; 07-23-2015 at 06:04 PM.
Old 07-23-2015, 05:56 PM
Banned

For my Skeena River Salmon fishing trips, I love my Penn 320 LD. It's just sexy and stops them beautiful Chinook Salmon in their tracks!
Old 07-23-2015, 06:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Old 07-24-2015, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Of course you can, and I can too. On the net anyone can prove anything.

250 yards is a very long way. But of course I know that's not what you are claiming. You just want us to believe that's what you are saying.

So just how far can you cast with the rig. 100, 120 yards ? If you could manage that it would be remarkable.

Yes I did notice you avoided putting a figure to your claim. That too is an old old ploy.

You might be able to convince a few kids, but most folks know that talk is just talk.

Tell us in feet meters or yards and you might be believed. Try to snow us with none specific claims and you make yourself look the fool.

Yup, I can empty the spool on my spin caster, if I only put ten yards of line on it. 250 yards ? Even with a bow that would take some skill.

Now thats b but a bc could do it.

Get over it
You are the one reading all kinds of stuff into it.lol

Did I mention 250 yds? I must of missed where I said that!
?????
I am prepared to show you, you called me out on it. Balls in your court!
This is about distance casting. Put a 1/2 filled spool on a spinning reel and see how it casts then do the same with a BC!
spinning reel wont cast that small amount of loaded line worth a darn but would be no problem for a BC.
It you look back in this thread you will see that I mentioned problem with lack of spool capacity in inexpensive(cheap) versions.
With a heavier line you can cast them out of line! Hell even you could!

No where did I claim to cast to the moon.

And the reference with casting a spinning reel out of line is the point that only a baitcaster is even capable of it. If I remember correctly a smile and wink were included in that sentence.

So yes I can do it. You called me out, you want to see it then come on down and I will demonstrate just for lil ol you.

Old 07-24-2015, 10:33 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
No where did I claim to cast to the moon.
Nore did I say you claimed to be able to. In fact I specifically noted that you deliberately avoided quantifying your claims. Well now you have, so you can empty a half filled spool, good for you.

Bottom line, others have clarified the pros and cons.

I have no doubt a bait-caster can outcast a spin-caster in the right hands.

I already knew that they offered better precision then most spin casters.

And I know that they offer more power and greater line capacity.

But they also cost more, typically a lot more. And it seems that for most people they take more time to master. For many, a lot more time.

And just so you know, I wouldn't have bothered to reply, however it was a perfect opportunity to summarize the pros and cons as I understand them.

And just so you know, reread post 35 and maybe, just maybe you'll understand why I called you out.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 07-24-2015, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Nore did I say you claimed to be able to. In fact I specifically noted that you deliberately avoided quantifying your claims. Well now you have, so you can empty a half filled spool, good for you.

Bottom line, others have clarified the pros and cons.

I have no doubt a bait-caster can outcast a spin-caster in the right hands.

I already knew that they offered better precision then most spin casters.

And I know that they offer more power and greater line capacity.

But they also cost more, typically a lot more. And it seems that for most people they take more time to master. For many, a lot more time.

And just so you know, I wouldn't have bothered to reply, however it was a perfect opportunity to summarize the pros and cons as I understand them.

And just so you know, reread post 35 and maybe, just maybe you'll understand why I called you out.
slow clap. But guess you missed the wink thing.
Marty1 did not seem to have an issue. Just you.

But here you go.
Finally dug out the old river reel. It was/is an older abu garcia 501 with 20 lb. ande line(cost about $50.00 new). Spool is full, not half filled. Can be emptied on a cast. And I bet that many here could do the same, including you. As I said you are welcome to see first hand! I am a little rusty but am confident I can still do it.

Bottom line is that can not be done by a spinning reel. At least not yet that I am aware of.

edit 12:37: Sorry if I put anybody out with my ridiculous claim. Lol

Last edited by huntsfurfish; 07-24-2015 at 12:55 PM.
Old 09-18-2015, 09:23 AM
Banned

What is the perfect length of rod and action for proper bait casters. I have been using the Lews bait casters with a six foot nine inch fast action St Croix Tournament style rod. How much more difference would each six inches of rod add to the throw distance? Or negligible. The six ft nine inch rods seem handy but am I compromising cast distance?
Old 09-18-2015, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangosteen View Post
What is the perfect length of rod and action for proper bait casters. I have been using the Lews bait casters with a six foot nine inch fast action St Croix Tournament style rod. How much more difference would each six inches of rod add to the throw distance? Or negligible. The six ft nine inch rods seem handy but am I compromising cast distance?
It depends more on what you are casting. eg a bigger heaver longer racquet will not make a badminton birdy go any further but it sure will a tennis ball. Hence the lure weight, density, and wind resistance will have a huge effect on this question.

If casting far is what you want look at surf casting rods.

Not sure if that helped but it was free
Old 09-18-2015, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangosteen View Post
That's a tough question to answers as every rod will be different based on where the flex point (action) is and how the blank weight (referred to as "power") works with what you are casting (the weight of the lure itself).

*** Action is also measured by the speed and force (in energy and velocity) of the return after releasing from a loaded position. But typically the faster the action the closer to the tip the flex/return point.

***** Power relates to the maximum blank loading and capacity over the entire length when parabolically (fully) loaded.

Generally, I think most people would agree, all things being equal, a longer rod will cast further.

A 6'-9" should be fine. Going to a 7'-6" (same power and action) should give you further casting ability, but the difference may be hard to discern. I'm guessing maybe 10-20 feet. Given the fact you might be able to bomb out a lure with the 6'-9" same rod, say, 120-140 feet - another 10-20 feet may not accomplish much more for you.

If you go all the way up to a 9' rod (and compare that to your 6'-9") then for sure you will notice the difference - maybe 40-45 feet further (again an educated guess here) - but it really depends on what you are doing.

If I am shore fishing a river - I have a 9'-6" St. Croix Wild River I use - It casts a ridiculous amount of line off the spool - but that rod doesn't get used in the boat too often - just too long and cumbersome. That rod is Medium Heavy Power and Fast Action If I recall correctly. Seems to be perfect for chucking heavier bait set ups in the river. As a guesstimate - thinking about a soccer field - that set up would cast close to the length of that field ( Soccer fields are usually about 300 feet long) so, say 250 feet maybe??? That's a long way out there.

Last edited by EZM; 09-18-2015 at 10:25 AM.
Old 09-18-2015, 10:32 AM
Banned

Thanks kindly for the feedback. I think I will then stay with future rods being six ft nine as they seem quite handy and no overly difficult to store on top of the deck when running.