Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-17-2011, 10:27 AM

All be it that is true but I was taught many years ago by my father who was a sea captian that you watched the weather at all times and when she was ready to blow get off her before the storm not in it. Ive been in many storms, mostly in wooden fishing boats but have been out in a few dorys in bad weather. Only a fool plays with the weather in any boat. I wouldnt want the Tracker or the Lund in the ocean but I would take any one of them ( NOT THE BASS SERIES) on any lake or res in this province. No fishing tournament is worth risking my life or the people with me in any boat. Weather turns sour Im off the water. Period.... I may be wrong but I dont think the OP was looking for a tournament boat? If so, than it would be Lund, Crestliner or Princecraft all the way, if I could afford tournaments than I could afford those boats... Just fishing, Tracker does the job....for me
Old 02-17-2011, 10:59 AM

No, he didn't say he was looking for a tourney boat...we're just using that as a reference in case he wants to get into it.

I'm not bashing tracker, I think they are fine...just the bass boats
Old 02-17-2011, 11:17 AM

Default The truth ,whole truth and nothing but the truth

There are several aluminum boat manufacturers who make questionable
products and who use devious marketing .These are Legend , Tracker , Smokercraft ,Princecraft.. The old bait and switch is used often on unsuspecting buyers. If you match upgrade to upgrade on the cheaper boats , you are soon in the top-o-line pricing. Re-sale is really iffy
on these boats and they dont stand up.

Top of the line are Lund , Alumacraft , Crestliner , Lowe.

I am not saying that these manufacturers dont have some sleazy dealers
but on the whole ...customers are happy with the products and the service .
Also the technology these top of the line boat builders put in their products make them the best.

In the USA there are a number of forums where boaters air their grievances and the complaints are always the same about the same products ..

You cant compare apples to apples , because the poorer builders dont have the same apples.

You get what you pay for , when it comes to boats , I know it is close to spring because these threads are up and running .
Old 02-17-2011, 11:58 AM
sheephunter

I do find it interesting how little people really know about some of the manufacturers and they keep using tournaments as the ultimate testing ground. Let's face it, the average angler in Alberta is never going to subject their boat to the rigors of tournament fishing and almost any aluminum boat out there is going to provide years of great service. If tournaments are the ultimate proving ground then Tracker arguably has built the best aluminum walleye tournament boat ever. I've seen transoms fall of of Rangers and I've seen Lund Pro Vs buckle like tinfoil. No boat is made to be pounded across 4-6 foot waves at high speeds for hours at a time. They will all break if they see serious tournament action. I've likely run as many brands of high end tournament boats as anyone and they all break but I've also run many different deep Vs designed for the average angler and with average use, pretty well all of them will last you for years. Find the style of boat you want, the options you want and then start price shopping. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Legend or Tracker or any of the major names out there. If you are fishing a dozen or more big water tournaments a year, then ya, you do need to narrow your search. I doubt many here are.

Last edited by sheephunter; 02-17-2011 at 12:09 PM.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
I do find it interesting how little people really know about some of the manufacturers and they keep using tournaments as the ultimate testing ground. Let's face it, the average angler in Alberta is never going to subject their boat to the rigors of tournament fishing and almost any aluminum boat out there is going to provide years of great service. If tournaments are the ultimate proving ground then Tracker arguably has built the best aluminum walleye tournament boat ever. I've seen transoms fall of of Rangers and I've seen Lund Pro Vs buckle like tinfoil. No boat is made to be pounded across 4-6 foot waves at high speeds for hours at a time. They will all break if they see serious tournament action. I've likely run as many brands of high end tournament boats as anyone and they all break but I've also run many different deep Vs designed for the average angler and with average use, pretty well all of them will last you for years. Find the style of boat you want, the options you want and then start price shopping. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Legend or Tracker or any of the major names out there. If you are fishing a dozen or more big water tournaments a year, then ya, you do need to narrow your search. I doubt many here are.
You say it best
Old 02-17-2011, 12:28 PM

im not going to bash any boat maker its like fighting over how you like your steak.
couple general points.
some boats just dont sqwaut(is that a word) well in the water....so slow trolling is near impossible in rough water even when powering from both ends of a boat. Its a constant fight to stay on course. This is where the deep v shines.
The other issue is if your looking to back troll into waves and rollers some boats dont have a transom that do it well.
my alberta dream boat would be stripping out my 2025 and putting in Merc's biggest tiller engine
Old 02-17-2011, 01:12 PM

You nailed it TJ !!!
Old 02-17-2011, 01:35 PM

I'm defitnetly not a tournament fisher. With my job i'll be happy if i can get my boat on the water 15 times in a year. Hearing that they aren't as stable as the salesmen claim i probably will stay away from a bass style boat and go with a Deep V. As for the brand, not going to be too picky i dont think. I'll take a look south of the border and see what i can get for cheap. I dont want to spend alot of money on something that is going to just sit in my yard most of the year (already have a quad and 2 trucks doing that). I just want something that will be reliable and able to get into fairly shallow waters on the lakes you guys have here. I dont troll, i usually fly fish, thats why i liked the big casting deck on those other boats. Yes my canoe is great for me, but the wife wants something she can come along in, thats why the need for a power boat. Thanks for all the input though, sure opened my eyes up alot.
Old 02-17-2011, 01:58 PM
sheephunter

Most of the deep Vs have a big deck up front that is well suited to fly casting....spend some time looking around and I'm sure you'll find what you need.
Old 02-17-2011, 02:54 PM

Stang also made a good point about all the extra costs of a new boat.

I am sure I speant around 5 thousand just on accessories....you would be surprised at what a new heavy ancor and chain alone costs. Fish sonar, life jackets, an extra light, transom savor, bumpers for the trailer, oh I must have the new I-piolot for my trolling motor (another item I love).....every time out you find something new you want to add on. I for one diddnt want a used boat with some one elses potential engine problems but threre is something to be said for the amount of money you can save buying a used boat already loaded up. In fact, if I fish this year as much as last, I might have to sell mine to help pay for the divorce.....
Old 02-17-2011, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Very true.

You're not likely to have a catastrophic failure with any of the boats out there these days with normal use. For the average person, it's simply a matter of finding the boat with the features and price they like the best and getting out on the water and enjoying it.

That said, there are differences in quality and constuction from brand to brand, everything from the hulls to the little details of fit and finish. I'd never argue that you don't pay a premium for certain brand names, but the flip side of the coin is that even with the economy of scale, the price point of some boats has to tell you that compromises were made to get that price. That may or may not be important to the buyer, but a person should be aware of them and do their best to compare apples to apples.

The bottom line for me is to shop around and make an educated decision based on all the factors involved, not just the initial retail price.
Old 02-19-2011, 05:40 PM

Default Buying a Boat

Next year , god willing and the creek dont rise ....I think I am going to have a walk around at the calgary boat show for all AO members who are thinking of buying a fishing boat and profess to not know any thing about boats in general. Kind of an independent , unbiased boat party.

When shopping you will see that a boat of comparable size , motor and boat lenght . When you price out the so called cheaper manufacturers versus the top of the line boats , and are able to see what you are getting for your money . You can make knowlegable decisions ....

After years of working for boat companies , using fishing boats and selling boats ....I know there are a lot of points the average consumer misses.
When making decisions he will have to live with for years and affect the safety of his or her familly .

I just bought 3 new boats in 6 years , sold 2 of them for what I paid for them ....and really gave all the products available in alberta a fair shake I thought ....Just a thought .

Always glad to help W101
Old 02-19-2011, 07:12 PM
sheephunter

I don't disagree with most of what you say Winch but how can a boat not be safe, they are all Transport Canada approved. I can understand certain styles being better suited to various water or weather conditions but I'm not sure how safety can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:35 AM

Default DOT Regs. etc.

I recently taught safe boating and testing for the operators card for an eastern supplier. Travelled to alot of towns in southern Ab. and did these
classes ... It gave me a pretty good handle on what the average boater knows or doesnt know.

I think the DOT regs for manufacturers are a lot like the building code .
Bare minimum with quite a bit of room to improve ...In boat building
like all manufacturing time is money , material costs important.

A familly guy looking to buy a fish/ski that he might keep 5 yrs or longer
doesnt appreciate what freeboard, beam width , hull design , HP maximum
vs weight and size , dead rise , rivet spacing , welded strake placement have to do with his selection .
The fact that 2 boats the same width and lenght can have a 30 HP differential has to be addressed ... As you know an underpowered boat ,loaded to the maximum cap. is a dangerous vessel.

I have 3 grandchildren under 6 ..the depth of the freeboard ( particularly on the casting platform is important to me. The width of the gunnel as well.
I want to leash them up like I do the dog ( he keeps jumping in the water after released fish ) but gramma says no.

I just dont think the difference between mediocre and best warrants
concern about cost ...

Also leaving your investment and decisions to the wisdom of the Federal Govt. just doesnt sit right with me .. Its still buyer beware.. .

I think if there are people on here who are willing to teach newbies the angling art....then why not boat buying and handling....

I dont know how many times I was asked if there was a place to go and learn to how to drive a boat ....this from people who were getting
their PCOC....go figure W101

Always glad to help...
Old 02-20-2011, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winch101 View Post
I recently taught safe boating and testing for the operators card for an eastern supplier. Travelled to alot of towns in southern Ab. and did these
classes ... It gave me a pretty good handle on what the average boater knows or doesnt know.

vs weight and size , dead rise , rivet spacing , welded strake placement have to do with his selection .
The fact that 2 boats the same width and lenght can have a 30 HP differential has to be addressed ... As you know an underpowered boat ,loaded to the maximum cap. is a dangerous vessel.

I have 3 grandchildren under 6 ..the depth of the freeboard ( particularly on the casting platform is important to me. The width of the gunnel as well.
I want to leash them up like I do the dog ( he keeps jumping in the water after released fish ) but gramma says no.

concern about cost ...

Also leaving your investment and decisions to the wisdom of the Federal Govt. just doesnt sit right with me .. Its still buyer beware.. .

I think if there are people on here who are willing to teach newbies the angling art....then why not boat buying and handling....

I dont know how many times I was asked if there was a place to go and learn to how to drive a boat ....this from people who were getting

Always glad to help...
I don't agree with everything you say but your perspective on most things pertaining to boat design & safety is pretty bang on imo. Ufortunately for first time boat buyers you can read or be told all about transom height, freeboard, keel depth, hp to weight ratio, etc, etc, but unless you have run a vessel of some time type already you don't have a concept of what these things mean or how they perform in real conditions. Sort of like a first car, you gotta have one & drive it first before you can appreciate things like suspension & tire performance, ride quality, cargo space, etc.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:23 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winch101 View Post

concern about cost ...

Always glad to help...
Winch I appreciate what you are saying but I don't see how it addressed my question regarding safety differences between manufacturers. Styles of boats and dealer rigging yes but all manufacturers have to meet a certain level of safety and I honestly can't see a difference between them. You can't tell me that brand X is safer than brand Y in identical style boats.
Old 02-20-2011, 01:28 PM

Default boats

Fella's I won't get into the one is " safer " than the other, they ALL must meet CSA standards to be sold in our country. For my two cents, i have had several makes of boats and currently own a 18' tracker Targa. i have a family now but still enjoy to hit a few tournaments and this boat accomplished all I have asked of it in Spades. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another Tracker.

Here's hoping the hardwater season ends soon!!
Old 02-20-2011, 02:23 PM

Erickson, by fox vegas I assume you mean fox lake. If that is the case you have to consider how shallow the peace river can get. I wouldn't get a boat with too much draft or you'll be into trouble quick. Perhaps consider a jet.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:02 AM

I have a targa 175 and its been great im 330lbs and the floor hasnt caved on me yet ,i had a lund before and thought i would try the tracker and no regrets bought in the summer of 06.Ihave had it on some big water and has got me back home every time.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:21 PM

I'm very familiar with a boat. Been around them my whole life, been driving them since i was a kid. I was just confused when the salesmen was trying to convince me about how they are "just as stable, if not more stable then a deep v on these alberta waters". He kept telling me it was to do with the width and low center of gravity, which to some extent does make sense. I was also wondering if it was going to be something that you buy, is good for a year, and then falls apart right after its off warranty. The info has been good, but im going to be going with a style of boat im more used to, probably a bowrider. I don't fish tournaments, and with my job, i'd never have time to. Thanks though guys, i think alot of good points have been addressed.