Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-11-2020, 04:24 PM

Default Grizzly bear info 346

Hey all
Planning a few scouting trips up to 346 this year,looking for information on grizzly bear encounters in that wmu, any ao members have any issues with them last season,would be interested to hear from you.
Old 04-11-2020, 04:33 PM

The west side has its share of them!!
Old 04-11-2020, 04:51 PM

346 is plenty big. Lots of grizz.. Narrow down the area and maybe get some better info.. Glad to help if I can..

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Old 04-11-2020, 08:43 PM

2018 saw 5 Grizzly between Tracks of others
Sept 19 west side of Shining bank lake young boar or good size sow,
Sept 24 Very large track came south of Tower traveled down then crossed Tom Hill tower Road going east [not counted no visual]
Sept 22 1 sow with a cub Groat creek,
Sept 27 Kill site from Daughters bull moose cleaned up fresh Grizz tracks in mud close by.[not counted]
Oct 7 Large boar KM 19 lower [ main] S road
same day saw another set of large fresh tracks [Snowing] in snow up towards Nova gas plant. 15 km away [ not counted]
Oct 10 Large body suspect Boar by another kill site 2 km from where daughter got hers.
Roads went to hell after so travel limited in those areas. Stayed closer to Edson
Old 04-12-2020, 09:06 AM

Default grizz

Moose Tracker pretty well covered it. I have trapline in 346. Grizz around until December. Some tracks off and on even in winter when boars come out for a stroll. They even have grizz corridor through middle of 346 so hopefully grizz will wander to Swanhills to build up their population. I carry a 357 magnum for protection.
Old 04-14-2020, 09:18 AM

Thanks for the information fellas, it is much appreciated.
Moosetalker,thanks for the detailed event of last season,watching my wife face as she read it was priceless, it will be her first season coming out with me if she doesn't change her mind.
Old 04-14-2020, 09:22 AM

Grizzlies are about everywhere, just acct prudently.

Grizz
Old 04-14-2020, 10:07 AM

I run into grizzly tracks on almost every hunt in 346. Last October, I had one walking towards me from about 300 yards away, while I was walking out with a white tail harvest. Wasn't too far from truck, lost track of the bear within probably 50 yards of truck.
Old 04-14-2020, 12:02 PM

Spent lots of time in 346 Sept to end Nov since 1993.

IMHO numbers of Grizzly has gone from the odd one in the west end of the zone to Hmm look another one every other few days.

However been lucky no OH Crap moments in that zone... So Far
Have had several in 352,353,344,347 and one in 510.
Old 04-14-2020, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosetalker View Post
Spent lots of time in 346 Sept to end Nov since 1993.

IMHO numbers of Grizzly has gone from the odd one in the west end of the zone to Hmm look another one every other few days.

However been lucky no OH Crap moments in that zone... So Far

Have had several in 352,353,344,347 and one in 510.
Pretty much my experience here except for an "Oh s#*t" moment one time in a big meadow.. But the numbers are ever increasing..

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Old 04-14-2020, 01:25 PM

Have been trapping in 346 for last 13 years. See lots of tracks but the bears seem to stay away from my sets.Havent ran into any yet but they are there.
Old 04-14-2020, 02:10 PM

Default Grizz

Any of you guys hunt or trap solo in there or do you have a buddy with you.
Old 04-14-2020, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyd View Post
Usually solo these days.
Old 04-14-2020, 02:34 PM

Quote:
I did last year but new to the area so can’t give much on the unit itself

But I have lots of experience hunting in areas with much higher numbers of grizzly, have hunted grizzly and helped others on grizzly hunts when I lived in BC. Honestly it sounds like you are over thinking the fact there is grizzly in 3-46. My advice for you is don’t get caught up on the fact there is grizzly there but acknowledge they are around. Use caution if you are making multiple trips packing out a big animal or have to leave meat overnight. You are hunting so you should be paying attention to sign and looking for animals already. Grizzly really are not that bad give them space if you see them and your good. Issues are when you are not paying attention and basically step on one or one shows up when you have an animal down.

They are really not that bad and there is a lot of hype about grizzly that is exaggerated
Old 04-14-2020, 06:01 PM

We ran into them almost daily last year and I wasn’t worried
Just one big bugger towards edson we couldn’t scare away so we left.
Old 04-14-2020, 09:25 PM

I lived in Edson and hunted 346 from 2000-2006, I came across grizzly sign often, maybe not on every hunt but most. Saw and heard lots of wolves as well. I enjoyed the area a lot, Saturdays were spent hunting north of town and Sundays found me south of Robb in the Sunday hunting zone. Had some great adventures. Except for a couple of times with my brother and wife I hunted solo every weekend. Sure they're around, be aware, keep a clean camp, but don't let it ruin your day. It's always good to be a little bit more vigilant if you get an animal on the ground.

Last edited by JTRED; 04-14-2020 at 09:31 PM.
Old 04-15-2020, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTRED View Post
I lived in Edson and hunted 346 from 2000-2006, I came across grizzly sign often, maybe not on every hunt but most. Saw and heard lots of wolves as well. I enjoyed the area a lot, Saturdays were spent hunting north of town and Sundays found me south of Robb in the Sunday hunting zone. Had some great adventures. Except for a couple of times with my brother and wife I hunted solo every weekend. Sure they're around, be aware, keep a clean camp, but don't let it ruin your day. It's always good to be a little bit more vigilant if you get an animal on the ground.
346 is beautiful country and I agree, while some care is warranted, solo hunts can still be enjoyable. Last light gutting would be my biggest concern.
Old 04-15-2020, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosetalker View Post
My experience as well.

Fished Windfall solo quite a bit 30+ years ago...never even gave bears a second thought. Visited the area sporadically over the past 5 years and saw more griz than in all the previous trips.

Only fish there with a buddy and bear spray now, and we are ultra cautious....the area gives me the creeps....
Old 04-17-2020, 09:47 AM

Quote:
I go with my father and son sometimes solo both of us grew up hunting 346. All areas have grizz now and lots of them. Be careful around berry patches and be very carful and alert if you down game.
Old 04-17-2020, 01:29 PM

I run close to 20 cameras now in 346 and the amount of grizzly pictures I get has steadily increased, likely due to running more cameras but areas where I would get the odd picture I get a lot more now. The population is doing well and steadily increasing.
Old 04-17-2020, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrushoutdoors View Post
I run close to 20 cameras now in 346 and the amount of grizzly pictures I get has steadily increased, likely due to running more cameras but areas where I would get the odd picture I get a lot more now. The population is doing well and steadily increasing.
Same here for pics. Lots in 351 where I hunt. Still good black pops though. Seems like they’re co-existing quite well so far.

We need a hunt. Willmore was chock full too last summer