Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-21-2018, 10:20 PM

Default Where are all the black bears? I can only find grizzlies....

Hi guys,
I just spent four days around fox creek... sighted five grizzlies(two big cubs, a sow and two BIG boars), a lynx, a wolf an one lonely black bear that got away. There used to always be loads of black there. Were did they go? Do grizzlies kill or move blacks out of a massive area like that?
Old 05-21-2018, 10:34 PM

Yes they do.

Same area you hunt in often, like year after year??
Old 05-21-2018, 10:34 PM

Default HzwffpAsPGNN

I just helped a friend kill her first bear. We hunted hard for it, weren’t seeing much sign, only bears we bumped were on major backroads. Covering like 350 kilometers per day in the truck. That’s saying a lot because we ALL hate truck hunting.

The evening we shot that bear we saw 9 bears total. Up until that... nothing but one bear that stuck it’s head out before hightailing it into the Bush.

Our collective opinion was that they hadn’t been out that long due to the late spring, as all the bears we saw had beautiful pelts and weren’t rubbed at all.

Cover ground and get on as much green clover you can find that’s near thick, thick cover and overgrown (old) logging blocks. It’s the only thing that worked for us.

Every bear we saw was between 10:00 and 18:00, between 13 and 22 degrees celcius. We saw nothing at first or last light, oddly enough.

Hopefully this helps you out. Big grizzlies are a pretty major predator of black bear so it’s possible they pushed them out. I know the two tend to share range but inhabit different parts of that range.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:30 AM

Default bears

Trapline in Fox Creek area, yes lots of grizz in area, but still a few blacks. Keep working the south facing side hills with lots of green,also wait for the yellow flowers that have taken over most pipelines and roads, bears love them.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:16 AM

Default Bears

What!! Our grizzly are supposed to be in such trouble I can't believe you seen so many Ha. Ha.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:54 AM

ATE, where did you see the wolf around Fox? That is my trapline area. Tony road has a few bears in that area