Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-05-2024, 02:55 PM

Question 2007 Kia sportage 2.7 V6 engine rattle

Granddaughter came down for a couple days of visiting and mentioned that her engine is making noise. I listened to it and it sounds like a diesel engine. The noise seems to be coming from the top left side of the engine (I’m half deaf so this is a best guess). I also noticed that her steering pump is starting to leak.

Any thoughts from any mechanics out there? It’s a low mileage vehicle so I’m hoping she’s not losing the engine already.

I’ll be scrambling to find a mechanic before she has to head back to work Tuesday.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Old 05-05-2024, 03:07 PM

My 05 F150 sounds like a diesel, it has since I bought it, had it checked out and they could find nothing wrong but suggested I switch to a thicker oil, which I did but it still sounds like a diesel.
Old 05-05-2024, 03:46 PM

Default Lifters?

Kinda sounds like lifter noise from low oil, or timing chain rattle, or a cam follower? It’s a new noise though because I change her oil and it’s normally a much quieter running engine.
Old 05-05-2024, 07:09 PM

Cut the filter open.
Old 05-05-2024, 07:52 PM

It won't be timing chain rattle. Pretty much all Kias and Hyundais of that era have timing belts which break without warning, and usually mangle the interference fit engines.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 05-06-2024, 03:28 AM

Likely the pistons slapping around. Take taking it to Kia and they may put a new engine in it. Hyundai replaced the engine in the wife’s 2011 Elantra under warranty a couple years ago.
Old 05-06-2024, 06:11 AM

I don’t know what model my friend bought it’s a bit older and there was a recall on the engine it is possible to get it replaced on the recall they wouldn’t do it for him apparently 1 litres or so of oil loss at 5000 km didn’t qualify. Car still works have to check oil lots
Old 05-06-2024, 07:30 AM

Default Engine recall

This is interesting. I did find some info on Kia engine recalls but it was a USA article. My personal experience with trying to get dealerships to do recall repairs has not been good. I found that it depends on the “character “ of the dealership. Had a GM product that I had to take to 3 different dealerships before I found one that was responsible enough to do the work.

Anyone suggest an ethical Kia dealership south of Red Deer? We will try local first but I’ve had past dealings with the one here in town that kinda put me off a bit.
Old 05-06-2024, 08:48 AM

What is the recall for? Does the recall apply in Canada? If its over oil consumption implied by the other post, it won’t cover a mechanical failure. You are getting way ahead of yourself. What did the oil filter look like?

Last edited by HyperMOA; 05-06-2024 at 08:58 AM.
Old 05-06-2024, 09:12 AM

Neighbour had a similar issue with his Kia. Turns out it was the timing chain tensioners. Thankfully he stopped driving it before it skipped a tooth and locked up. Mechanic took a long time to get that one figured out, but eventually got it. Kia dealerships had no clue. Mechanic did everything short of calling head office in Korea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cook View Post
My 05 F150 sounds like a diesel, it has since I bought it, had it checked out and they could find nothing wrong but suggested I switch to a thicker oil, which I did but it still sounds like a diesel.
Same with my '05 F150 with the 5.4. It got so bad, once I pulled up to a gas pump, and the guy who was sitting in front of the diesel pump pulled away just to make room for me.

I ended up buying the whole kit for timing chains, tensioners, and cam phasers.

Wasn't the worst job in the world, just need to take time and care to do it right.
Old 05-14-2024, 04:18 PM

Oldjeda, did you get your engine rattle sorted out?
Old 05-15-2024, 05:09 AM

Interesting timing on this thread.

My BIL from Red Deer called me yesterday. A bit of background on his Kia SUV. Forget the year but it is off warranty. Motor has about 170K on it.

3 months ago, he found a puddle of oil on his garage floor. Took it in to the Kia dealer and after $4200.00, they replaced the motor seal.

Engine light recently came on again, and this time, he found out he needs a new engine! Apparently, it is a tie rod issue. After several heated discussions with the dealer, they will replace the engine at no charge.

Long time issue with this engine, and from what he got from them, Kia knew about this but there were no recalls. They are dealing with the owners that have the issues. Cheaper than a major recall I reckon. Interesting way to do business.

Engine won't be in until at least mid June. He is still trying to negotiate a courtesy vehicle with them.
Old 05-15-2024, 06:09 AM

We’re still working on the problem. It’s going in to an independent guy today, who I trust will be fair and honest. My Granddaughter did make the mistake of taking it into a Kia dealership to have a look. They charged her almost $400 to tell her it might be a bearing somewhere inside or on the front of the engine but didn’t know which one. Told her they would need another $1000 plus to figure it out. Just pull off the serpentine belt you dummies! She wisely just drove any.

No timing chain in this engine. It had the belt changed around 100k.

Interesting about the tie rod issue. This vehicle is coming up to 170k pretty soon.

The noise is definitely worse when the engine is cold and I did notice what appeared to be a small steering pump leak the last time I changed her oil.

Hopefully more news later this week.