Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-09-2012, 02:19 PM

Default NHL Hockey to be cancelled after Sept 15

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=402741

If no contract reached by Sept 15 then the 2012/2013 NHL season will be cancelled.

I am not sure what you all think but in my mind players are paid too much. Tickets are too much. Still people pay it so what do you do?

I want all contracts to be flat rate with negotiated bonuses based upon performance. If you coast...you get $500,000...if you are a high performer you could make $5 MM.

Still owners are the problems...not the players. If you pay stupid money for sub parr talent and you go broke...tough luck.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:23 PM

Thats great news!!!

Let the over paid cry babies sit on their behinds and hire guys who actually want to play and play with passion.

I bet we have some talented guys/gals in here who would show more heart any day of the week!

The season wouldn't be cancelled completely.

It could be a shortened schedule or cancelled all together. It would depend on how long it takes to resolve the issues and get a new contract signed.

I really hope they get it all figured out and can get a full season in.

I honestly cannot say that this bothers me. I stopped watching hockey years ago, something just seems to be missing from the game (for me at least). I do not know what exactly it is, but the excitement just went of out it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=402741

If no contract reached by Sept 15 then the 2012/2013 NHL season will be cancelled.

I am not sure what you all think but in my mind players are paid too much. Tickets are too much. Still people pay it so what do you do?

I want all contracts to be flat rate with negotiated bonuses based upon performance. If you coast...you get $500,000...if you are a high performer you could make $5 MM.

Still owners are the problems...not the players. If you pay stupid money for sub parr talent and you go broke...tough luck.
Players are paid by spectators, not the NHL. If people stopped paying, players salarys would go down. basic supply and demand tells us players are NOT overpaid, but paid exactly what the market for them will bear
Old 08-09-2012, 02:39 PM

If there's another short season I think fans will walk away from the NHL in droves... good luck with another short season owners / players, and remember who pays your salaries.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:43 PM
Banned

I'd give a big thumbs up for the game going away for a while.

I used to be a hockey fanatic years ago, stopped watching when salaries went through the roof and players were bawling about not making enough money.

they don't play for the love of the game anymore, they play for money. Makes me sick to my stomach when the average joe take take his kid to a game anymore cause it costs too much.

Yep, was given a few sets of gold tickets over the years - right behind the net, 5 rows back. gave them away to people couldn't afford to go cause I couldn't be bothered to go.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pophouseman View Post
Players are paid by spectators, not the NHL. If people stopped paying, players salarys would go down. basic supply and demand tells us players are NOT overpaid, but paid exactly what the market for them will bear
I disagree.

Greed of owners increase the likelihood of stupid salaries that require jack of the ticket prices.

While spectators are enabling by continuing to pay...they are not the cause IMHO.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:49 PM

Oh the humanity, someone must intercede to stop thier suffering! What's the UN up to these days?

I'd laugh my butt off if they suddenly found that after their stunt the public had lost interest and diverted their attention and wallets elsewhere; sadly I don't think that will happen. The irony of biting the hand that (over)feeds them doesn't seem to be in their lesson plan.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:50 PM

Took 3 of my kids to the oilers last year. Tickets, food, transportation etc etc. $600+!! 4-5 games I could take them to Disney land.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
If there's another short season I think fans will walk away from the NHL in droves... good luck with another short season owners / players, and remember who pays your salaries.
It hurt them hard before. I was the most ardent fan before the first major strike. I knew +/- of the first line for each team...points, scores etc. Ran hockey pools at work.

Now...I would rather go fishing.

I love watching world juniors and the Olympics was great also.

NHL as a product started sucking ice a long time ago.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:52 PM

The Leafs won't know the difference.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:54 PM

What I can't figure out is, if the owners hate the current CBA so much, why are they still giving out the inflated contracts this summer?
Old 08-09-2012, 02:56 PM

The market is dictating the prices and the players deserve a good percentage of that price. I don't feel bad or good for them as it's a business and the players shouldn't be leaving any money on the table, as the owners are just as "greedy" as they are. So I say go for it; my only complaint is that this cuts into how I like to spend entertainment time so boo hoo for me

This isn't a public service that your taxes go into so if it is too expensive, vote by not buying into it and if enough people do they'll lower the price. Look at that: market correction. Tickets go down, players get paid less, or the bad business folds. That is how it should work.

I go to the reasonably priced WHL games, cause the hockey is good and the price doesn't mean I rack the card up and pay it off for the next two months. I watch the NHL on TV, and feel no loss.

I hope the players kick the owners and the NHL exec in the ass this year. If you don't understand what the fight is about hold your lips.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rem338win View Post
Players get paid less
I can just see the uproar over that
Old 08-09-2012, 03:03 PM

I quit watching last year. The egos grow with the salaries.
Old 08-09-2012, 03:14 PM
Banned

Seems like the usal crowd of whiners. I hope the season doesn't get canceld, as do most other Canadians. Hockey night in Canada is still a good tradition!
Old 08-09-2012, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
I can just see the uproar over that
Oh well the club can't pay what it doesn't have. If the money isn't there they don't get paid. Too bad our society doesn't get that these days.
These "Luongo" contracts so popular these days is going to kill the industry anyway. If there are enough of them signed it would look just like the bad mortgage/housing bubble in 5 years. Like I said: Oh well....
Old 08-09-2012, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
I disagree.

Greed of owners increase the likelihood of stupid salaries that require jack of the ticket prices.

While spectators are enabling by continuing to pay...they are not the cause IMHO.
Im not getting your point, if it was the owners greed, would they not try to keep player salaries down (more money in their pocket)?

Spectators and Fan's demand win's and are willing to pay more and more to get good players. And as long as people keep going to games and buying tickets/jereseys/hotdogs etc. the players salaries will keep going up. I hear the comment that the "average guy" can't go to the games anymore. so who is filling every arena every game? the super elite?
Old 08-09-2012, 03:29 PM

Go on strike, lockout, who cares. Other things to do. Another work stoppage this soon after the last one and even more US teams will be in trouble.

Owners have greed as putting a good team on the ice, especially in the US, will sell seats plus playoffs are where the owners really make their money so they will spend to get there. Or that is my theory, be it right or wrong.
Old 08-09-2012, 03:43 PM
Banned

Location: FTR Road in the summer (flyfishin), The bush in autum (huntin) the hills in winter (shreddin the pow

crying.jpg
Old 08-09-2012, 03:56 PM
AvayaAce

I think the NY Yankee's payroll equals the entire NHL payroll.....welcome to the world of pro sports! If there is a lockout, it will really hurt the league in the long run. Sports is all about TV revenue's and unfortunately the NHL isn't the draw vs baseball and basketball.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutter87 View Post
Seems like the usal crowd of whiners. I hope the season doesn't get canceld, as do most other Canadians. Hockey night in Canada is still a good tradition!

Yep, and they went on strike again. Too much skating interferes with their golf & boating time.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pophouseman View Post
Im not getting your point, if it was the owners greed, would they not try to keep player salaries down (more money in their pocket)?

Spectators and Fan's demand win's and are willing to pay more and more to get good players. And as long as people keep going to games and buying tickets/jereseys/hotdogs etc. the players salaries will keep going up. I hear the comment that the "average guy" can't go to the games anymore. so who is filling every arena every game? the super elite?
I think they see a connection to getting a marque player and being able to charge more. Problem is too many marque players turn into slugs after a big salary increase.

They try to buy a Stanley Cup to the detriment of costs. In Calgary a large chunk of tickets are held by companies and used for entertainment expenses. Likely same elsewhere.

The average person...while some make this there big spend for the year...is outside the reach. I can buy a great new flyrod and reel for what it costs me and the wife to go to 1 game.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvayaAce View Post
I think the NY Yankee's payroll equals the entire NHL payroll.....welcome to the world of pro sports! If there is a lockout, it will really hurt the league in the long run. Sports is all about TV revenue's and unfortunately the NHL isn't the draw vs baseball and basketball.
How many games do they play in baseball versus hockey. I think watching the Flames suck for more games would harm them even worse than ticket prices.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:32 PM

Thats not accurate at all if there is no agreement before Sept 15 the owners will lockout the players ..not cancel the season..
Old 08-09-2012, 05:32 PM

The NHL?.....that "Americanized Fox Special" is still running???

I lost interest in Hockey when they "Americanized" it and totally ruined the game IMHO....

Too bad it used to be high on my list of things to watch and be involved in....

LC
Old 08-09-2012, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanonfodder View Post
Thats not accurate at all if there is no agreement before Sept 15 the owners will lockout the players ..not cancel the season..
You mean we could round up some AO'ers and make a go as a "replacement" team!!!! Without pro-players I am sure Bettman will be making the call to the Mods to put together something....

LC
Old 08-09-2012, 05:41 PM

The ridiculous high salaries paid to players in all sports have put them out of the reach of the average working family. I remember years ago, like when I was in 9th grade, going to a baseball game in Washington, DC and having a good time. Now there is brand new bigger stadium built, the team is back in DC - their name is the Nationals, TICKET prices are sky high and the cost of food is past ridiculous.

Football is the very same way. Sorry I can't speak for Hockey never learned it or about it but have seen two games of the Capitals - tickets given to me by the Boss and one was someone's Sky Suite so I invited all of my neighbors to fill it up. Once again..........parking, program and food was more than my food budget for the week...........

It would be nice to see the costs come back in line so the average Joe/Jane could attend a game and take his/her family but most likely not in my lifetime.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingMOM View Post
Thats great news!!!

Let the over paid cry babies sit on their behinds and hire guys who actually want to play and play with passion.

I bet we have some talented guys/gals in here who would show more heart any day of the week!
Ironically thats how I feel about most of my staff in my businesses!

and all talented workers with passion and heart, are all foreign workers!
but thats another thread!

Saying that though, a year without Hockey would be terrible! Makes for a long boring winter! I believe they deserve what they get paid.JMO