Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-08-2014, 09:26 AM

Default Finding a wood worker to make a custom stock?

Hey there all, looking to see if you have any tea sources you might want to share. I put an ad on kijiji but of course it got struck down for the word rifle.
Hoping to find someone who wants to make a wooden stock for my 22. Nothing too hard or fancy, I just know if I were to try it myself I'd lose a thumb or two.
When your looking for people to help on custom projects, where do you look so you won't get raked and can put a few extra bucks in a locals pocket??
Old 07-08-2014, 09:29 AM

Boyds is your answer
"I don't know about the "shooting Savages" part. I have one and I have had considerable difficulty doing well with it. Part of the reason for this is that I feel a need to put bag over my head to hide my identity when ever I am shooting it!"
Leeper
Old 07-08-2014, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmcleod82 View Post
Boyds is your answer
x2
Old 07-08-2014, 11:27 AM

Gitrdun from here can help. He's on a timeout right now. PM me if you want his number.

Then did he raise on high the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch, saying, "Bless this, O Lord, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy."
Old 07-08-2014, 02:47 PM

Having a woodworker build you a stock from scratch is gonna be expensive. the hours put into inletting it, then figuring out the exact shape and feel you want it to have, cutting, rasping the shape out, sanding everything, and then finishing the whole deal is alot of work. I would know, I'm a woodworker and will be making my own stock here in a bit. Boyd's is your answer and because they are made of wood you can customize them to fit you. You can even modify the palm swell and add checkering. What .22 is it?
Old 07-09-2014, 12:14 PM

Mateo, please take lots of pictures when oh build your stock and be sure to post. I would be interested in the processes you use for all the inletting. Thanks.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:25 PM

I have built a number of stocks and even with partially pre-carved wood and started inletting it is a LOT of work. (I use the stock duplicating service in New Norway to rough shape and inlet the stock using the existing stock inletting as a guide and then finish it from there. You are still talking many many hours of work to do it right.

Even with the help of a stock duplicating machine, the only way this makes sense is if you cannot buy the stock you are trying to make, like a left hand Anschutz silhouette stock for a right hand action target repeater, or if you are restocking with a REAL fancy piece of wood.

You can order a replacement stock from Boyd's for about $90, for just about any 22 ever made. A hand done one from scratch will be a minimum of $600, plus wood.
Old 07-09-2014, 06:53 PM

Fair enough, thanks all!
Its just a 10/22 idea I had but I'll take a look at boyds and see how close I can get
Thanks!
Old 07-17-2014, 10:02 PM

Hi, I would like the number to the guy in New Norway.. I have a marlin M25 in 22 mag and boyds does not have anything for my gun,,, I thought of buying a stock from ATI for a model 60 or 75 and modding it..I still might do that. but any one that has any info for me please let me know
Old 07-18-2014, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-Dog Blaster View Post
Hi, I would like the number to the guy in New Norway.. I have a marlin M25 in 22 mag and boyds does not have anything for my gun,,, I thought of buying a stock from ATI for a model 60 or 75 and modding it..I still might do that. but any one that has any info for me please let me know

Alberta Gunstocks
Bill Landalls 780-608-4364
Box 157 New Norway, AB T0B-3L0

Take him the old stock and he can inlet a new one using it as a pattern. There will be final fitting and bedding plus finishing to do. You need relatively good wood skills to make one turn out nice but not anything the average guy can't do with patience. If you want a laminate stock order a blank from Boyds and have Bill inlet it or you can buy an inexpensive walnut blank from Bill and have him shape and inlet it.

You may want to call Numerick and see if they still have replacement stocks. They will ship most parts ups to $1000 retail to Canada.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/597420B.htm

Last edited by Dean2; 07-18-2014 at 10:44 AM.
Old 07-18-2014, 01:36 PM

Did you try western gun parts? They may be able to fix you up
Old 07-18-2014, 03:38 PM

contact David Henry on this site.He is the best,his workmanship is 2nd to none and can produce a finished stock ready for your action.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwinds View Post
contact David Henry on this site.He is the best,his workmanship is 2nd to none and can produce a finished stock ready for your action.
x2