Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-08-2018, 11:07 AM

Question Got some gifts, want to fish now.

Hey everyone; I've been a lurker for a while but now I have finally decided ( by chance ) to start fishing. I got some equipment as a gift from a friend, and now since I have time I would like to start.

I understand that fishing is not a "do X get fish" type of thing, it's more based off of experience and you're knowledge of the fish and the area, which I have none of. Aside from the internet that is.

I was given a Shimano Solara SLS 70-M2 rod and a Rapala halo reel with some monofilament line on it https://rapala.ca/products/halo-spinning

I've had a WIN card for a while and can get a license quickly.

Given that I have these 2 items, don't have a boat ( only a sedan); what would you tell me to go out and buy right now at my local Wal-mart or Cabelas if I were to say I wanted to go fishing this weekend, and where would you tell me to go ( near Edmonton and no boat/ability to tow a boat )

As simple as possible ( I know I'm being needy ) something like :

1.) Buy X bait & X hook from wal mart
2.) go to this water body
3.) fish.

I've spent some time watching enough videos to have a fair idea on how to tie my fishing lines and prep it all; I just need to know how to put it all in action.
Old 06-08-2018, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matapatapa View Post
Hey everyone; I've been a lurker for a while but now I have finally decided ( by chance ) to start fishing. I got some equipment as a gift from a friend, and now since I have time I would like to start.

I understand that fishing is not a "do X get fish" type of thing, it's more based off of experience and you're knowledge of the fish and the area, which I have none of. Aside from the internet that is.

I was given a Shimano Solara SLS 70-M2 rod and a Rapala halo reel with some monofilament line on it https://rapala.ca/products/halo-spinning

I've had a WIN card for a while and can get a license quickly.

Given that I have these 2 items, don't have a boat ( only a sedan); what would you tell me to go out and buy right now at my local Wal-mart or Cabelas if I were to say I wanted to go fishing this weekend, and where would you tell me to go ( near Edmonton and no boat/ability to tow a boat )

As simple as possible ( I know I'm being needy ) something like :

1.) Buy X bait & X hook from wal mart
2.) go to this water body
3.) fish.

I've spent some time watching enough videos to have a fair idea on how to tie my fishing lines and prep it all; I just need to know how to put it all in action.
I wish you were more local, I'd be happy to give you a hand.

If I were you, I'd pick up some of the essentials:

Bait rigging tackle (Size 1 hooks, 1 oz weights, swivels)

Some Len Thompson spoons (red/white, 5 of Diamonds, etc)
Old 06-08-2018, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinelakeperch View Post
I wish you were more local, I'd be happy to give you a hand.

If I were you, I'd pick up some of the essentials:

Bait rigging tackle (Size 1 hooks, 1 oz weights, swivels)

Some Len Thompson spoons (red/white, 5 of Diamonds, etc)
Thanks for the reply. So after I pick up these, any ideas where to go? Somewhere I can fish off the dock and get to with a car?

Also what about bait?

I asked the guy who gave me the stuff and he gave me a plastic box with uhh ; lets list it out =

Plastic floaty thingies in various sizes and colors

white rubber worms about 2-3 inches long

a packet of southbend snap swivels size 10

a bunch of lead shot and a bluefox size 3 spinner.

As for hooks It dosent seem like I have any; Ill pick them up along with some extra line and some artificial bait.

Actually; will a set of spinners be useful at all? seeing as I'm going to be off a dock and not on a boat? Should I get a smaller rod too? I dont imagine fish close to the shore would be big enough to justify this size of a rod.

What next? where to and when?
Old 06-08-2018, 04:04 PM

OP---shoot me a PM with your phone number---should have an open spot on the boat this weekend if the weather holds
Old 06-08-2018, 08:12 PM

Every tackle box needs .....

1) some jig heads and some rubber bodies in various sizes and colors

2) Spoons - Red/White and Five of Diamonds in 2-3 sizes

3) Snelled hooks - a few sizes

4) Sinkers, Swivel snaps and terminal tackle

5) Pliers, jaw spreaders

6) Powerbait dough - sparkle

7) Spinners - assorted sizes from small for trout to big for pike

8) Floating rapalas (best for casting off shore)

9) Leaders (for pike)

10) A licence and understanding of the regs for the water you are fishing

Then head over to Wabamun. You can fish from many places along the shoreline.
Old 06-08-2018, 09:20 PM
Banned

I agree with many of the suggestions made but my suggestion would be to learn all you can about bait rigs, slip bobber, lindy rig, dropshot rigs, if and when you get a boat..... spinner rigs. Jigs work well to. These presentation will work for a few species but are more specific to walleye.

I started using live bait rigs in about 1988 and over the years with the exception of a few good crank bait bites, nothing will beat live bait rigs on average. When the bite is on many presentations will work it is on the tough bites when live bait rigs will really shine.

The big advantage of live bait rigs are controlled depth and controlled speed, this is achieved by either fishing top down presentations (slip bobber) or bottom up (lindy rig, jig, drop shot rig, spinner rig). These presentations allow you to fish live bait at a specific speed (or stationary) and depth and it has been my experience that these two factors will increase your success 10 fold over guessing what your lure is doing and then trying to duplicate it. What ever you decide have fun fishing it is a great sport!

Last edited by bobalong; 06-08-2018 at 09:33 PM.
Old 06-08-2018, 11:28 PM

Make sure that mono you have is new and not what came with the reel.

If you are having issues with too much line twist and tangles you may eventually want to think about using a braid.

My advice is to keep scanning through these topics and pick up what you can, and also try to make some buddies that know what theyre doing so you get a good start.

Good luck man!
Old 06-09-2018, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justfishin73 View Post
OP---shoot me a PM with your phone number---should have an open spot on the boat this weekend if the weather holds
Sorry; I tried PM'ing you but this account is too old or something; that functionality is locked off.
Old 06-09-2018, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Every tackle box needs .....

1) some jig heads and some rubber bodies in various sizes and colors

2) Spoons - Red/White and Five of Diamonds in 2-3 sizes

3) Snelled hooks - a few sizes

4) Sinkers, Swivel snaps and terminal tackle

5) Pliers, jaw spreaders

6) Powerbait dough - sparkle

7) Spinners - assorted sizes from small for trout to big for pike

8) Floating rapalas (best for casting off shore)

9) Leaders (for pike)

10) A licence and understanding of the regs for the water you are fishing

Then head over to Wabamun. You can fish from many places along the shoreline.
Thanks, this is golden. Exactly what I needed. I looked at some fishing apps, and picked up the sportsman's magazine ( the one with all the annual fishing info in it )

I have a few questions before I'm done,

- Could you specify what sizes you would recommend for all these things ( for shore fishing with my rod/reel setup )

- Do you think my rod/reel combo is unsuitable for fishing off the shore in Wabamun/ most places in Alberta? I sorta feel like its overkill, not sure. I plan on probably fishing in PP2 and ES3 if that's any help.

Tags
beginner, boatless, fishing