Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 05-20-2018, 09:51 PM
Banned

Default County regulations on dogs

Concerning dogs at large in various counties etc in Alberta, has anyone ever brought up the subject to their locals about buying some media ( paper ) time and advising the public about the rules concerning dogs at large in Alberta?
It seems that every winter or every season we have conflict with at large dogs etc. As every thing else its a matter of public education . some would heed some would care less BUT the fact is after perhaps a couple years of buying a one page advert in various papers , the word might start to get out there ?
It would not have to mention its all about trapping because that would certainly start some criticizing the point of the whole matter and turn to bite us in the butt!
You have to realize that after every bad experience that gets pasted all over the media , It is US the trappers that pay the price!
Old 05-22-2018, 01:30 PM
Banned

I guess this is Not a concern for most of you fellows on this site , I have it from someone I wont name BUT take very seriously that free hangers and at large dogs are getting a lot of lip time down east . ! Be very aware that the rest of the world is NOT sleeping during the summer when we trappers are taking it easy ! The onus is ON US to do something to educate the public concerning at large , farm , rural, acreages , AND weekend trail walkers ! WHY ? because it is us that will pay the price ! NO ONE ELSE is going to take the bull by the horns and work at it ! Constructive criticism and ideas are welcome , insults and trolling is not required , lets work together ! THANKS
Old 05-22-2018, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
Concerning dogs at large in various counties etc in Alberta, has anyone ever brought up the subject to their locals about buying some media ( paper ) time and advising the public about the rules concerning dogs at large in Alberta?
It seems that every winter or every season we have conflict with at large dogs etc. As every thing else its a matter of public education . some would heed some would care less BUT the fact is after perhaps a couple years of buying a one page advert in various papers , the word might start to get out there ?
It would not have to mention its all about trapping because that would certainly start some criticizing the point of the whole matter and turn to bite us in the butt!
You have to realize that after every bad experience that gets pasted all over the media , It is US the trappers that pay the price!
in regards for an advertising campaign have you tried talking to Anne coles? I don't know who else could get that going. I also feel that that might wake the wrong people to oppose our goals and lawful rights!
Old 05-22-2018, 07:15 PM
Banned

ex
I understand your concerns BUT sooner or later we will have to face the music ! I believe I may have mentioned this to Anne , But she has a lot going on ! What I would suggest is that after consultation with the ATA executive , someone perhaps an individual could take the responsibility after having help from members in buying some media time ( and keeping the ATA out) so that this doesn't turn and bite us . as there are certain people who will try to discredit us any way they can !
At the moment they are doing tests on snaring down east , some is somewhat favorable , some not so much ! What we definitely do not need is more non targets getting entangled in our equipment ! The more we do the less we might worry !
Alberta is more or less at a 50 /50 stage right now , possibly less ,
We have to come up with a viable tool and a education system to be able to address any and all concerns by the powers that will make the decision s .
Not to be the one to cry wolf here BUT I am very concerned of the seemingly inaction ! Perhaps I am not hearing all that is going on in the background? None the less we should be vigilant !
Old 05-22-2018, 09:25 PM
AO Sponsor

Public forums are not always the best mechanism for discussions of sensitive topics. I don't think you realize that. You know that Dwight and his boyfriends are always lurking, waiting in hopes of catching a scrap of anything, and running off to government to kick, scream, bite and cry.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:57 PM
Banned

Well Marty YOU TELL ME where to talk about this! It seems everybody is sitting on their butts and nothing is being done , so don,t, preach to me what I may or may not say! Too many fellows are letting things slip by and when you mention this to anyone they look at you like a pig pi==sing in a snow bank ! Time is running out ! lets get this discussed at the meeting at the next rondevous! Fellows like yourself should be at the forefront ! You have a lot at stake here!
Apathy will get us nowhere! I,ll be darned If I will sit on my butt running scared of anyone and lose my privilege to trap!
You do realize all I,m suggesting is a public education blitz on county bylaws concerning canines! What is so sensitive about that ?
Old 05-22-2018, 09:58 PM
Banned

At least one Trapping Awareness Seminar has already been conducted by a Southern Local where there was an interest:

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...ight=Awareness

I heard that the same semester was planned and may have already been conducted in the Calgary area.

If this type of seminar would be beneficial in your area then perhaps it should be offered to the people that would benefit the most from attending it. Otherwise, if it’s not an issue in an area, why create an issue that doesn’t exist?

Last edited by HunterDave; 05-22-2018 at 10:05 PM.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:09 PM
Banned

Hunter Dave I was not aware of what they had done ! But again , being as this was considered serious enough to buy time in a paper , why was this not conveyed to the rest of the trapping fraternity ? I see a problem here that the right arm doesn't know what the left one is doing ! In fact if I cant motivate the executive to take issue with this problem perhaps I will start setting out county rules and regulations on my own , and leave the trapping out of it ! ALL I am advocating is making the public aware of regulations concerning at large dogs , NOT necessarily to do with trapping ! IF a citizen loses a dog at large THAT is his lookout regardless of how it went down , car , other dogs , coyotes shooting etc!
IF it isn't an issue in one area , then why wait ! Once it happens it,s too late and we get the black eye !
Old 05-22-2018, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Well Marty YOU TELL ME where to talk about this! It seems everybody is sitting on their butts and nothing is being done , so don,t, preach to me what I may or may not say! Too many fellows are letting things slip by and when you mention this to anyone they look at you like a pig pi==sing in a snow bank ! Time is running out ! lets get this discussed at the meeting at the next rondevous! Fellows like yourself should be at the forefront ! You have a lot at stake here!
Apathy will get us nowhere! I,ll be darned If I will sit on my butt running scared of anyone and lose my privilege to trap!
You do realize all I,m suggesting is a public education blitz on county bylaws concerning canines! What is so sensitive about that ?
I felt the same way a year or so again Parfleche. Since then I have basically stopped posting my stuff. It's sad but all I got was dumped on after posting pics and asking questions that we should be discussing. It seems most want to hide instead of discuss and make things better.
I'm thinking the same as you and thinking our days are numbered. It won't even matter if we have the most humane practices in the world either. Too many of the anti crowd that bark louder while the rest of us put our heads in the sand.
Old 05-22-2018, 11:01 PM
Banned

Our days are only numbered if you believe the baloney that is being spewed by people with agendas. The Deputy Minister received 14......FOURTEEN.......letters from Alberta citizens concerned about trapping in Alberta. Being that there was an incident with a dog running at large a couple of kms away from an acreage subdivision in Parland County last year, many, if not all, of those letters came from there. From that a crisis was created.

To put things into perspective, 14 Alberta citizens expressed their displeasure for trapping in Alberta.......out of 4.146 Million Alberta citizens. IMO, that is negligible and no where even being close to being a crisis.
Old 05-23-2018, 07:00 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Hunter Dave I was not aware of what they had done...
And what else are you not aware of? is the question, in light of my point.

There are mechanisms out there for such topics. No need to attempt to brow beat me and others in your unknowing-ness of these things.

There, I think that was the nice way to say such a thing? I'm trying to practice being nice. ... there, I smiled too! People seem to like people who smile a lot.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:41 AM
Banned

Talking

Marty I am very aware of this being a public forum , I am not so challenged as to not know that ! I am but a small fish in a large tank of apathetic seasonal trappers , I just don,t take to being chastised very well .
You see I am concerned as some other members are in what we do ,! Perhaps the fact that we , all of us don,t feel connected enough to ALL the locals ? Do they talk with each other after the meetings , such as what is discussed?
If we operate in a fragmented way , we do not wield the power we might have ! So no insult is meant Marty , I just got a tad warm !
I dont know what challenges you may have in your neck of the world , but I ASSUME the wide open country is a bit different . But here in the middle of the province , what I am speaking of is very real ! Its an impediment to operating properly ,
So again , by posting county regulations at dog parks , and nature trails , WITHOUT mentioning the trapping that may be happening , AT LEAST , some people might take note and be more compliant with rules!
You see perhaps only fourteen people complained , They had the co honeys to do it , BUT likely a hundred or more could not be bothered and went to the media ! That right there is what hurts , I am sure you know that . At any rate I have made my point , and yes I,m smiling nice also !!
Old 05-23-2018, 10:24 PM
AO Sponsor

I wasn't trying to be offensive. If we were sitting across the table from each other you would have got that.

"...large tank of apethetic trappers..."

Are you sure on that one? Sounds like you are drawing a conclusion based on _____________???

So anyways, best thing is we sit down with some other trapper buddies in an organized capacity and get to it. Privately. If we expose our strategies to the whole world, then the naked little girl with bat ears that was sitting in a cage on Saturday and Dwighty might put their heads together pre-emptively in an effort to get in front of our efforts, potentially damaging our strategy. I think it wise to not underestimate these people. It is not as quiet out there as it sounds these days.
Old 05-24-2018, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Marty I am very aware of this being a public forum , I am not so challenged as to not know that ! I am but a small fish in a large tank of apathetic seasonal trappers , I just don,t take to being chastised very well .
You see I am concerned as some other members are in what we do ,! Perhaps the fact that we , all of us don,t feel connected enough to ALL the locals ? Do they talk with each other after the meetings , such as what is discussed?
If we operate in a fragmented way , we do not wield the power we might have ! So no insult is meant Marty , I just got a tad warm !
I dont know what challenges you may have in your neck of the world , but I ASSUME the wide open country is a bit different . But here in the middle of the province , what I am speaking of is very real ! Its an impediment to operating properly ,
So again , by posting county regulations at dog parks , and nature trails , WITHOUT mentioning the trapping that may be happening , AT LEAST , some people might take note and be more compliant with rules!
You see perhaps only fourteen people complained , They had the co honeys to do it , BUT likely a hundred or more could not be bothered and went to the media ! That right there is what hurts , I am sure you know that . At any rate I have made my point , and yes I,m smiling nice also !!
A good method of avoiding the catching free ranging dogs can be achieved by using discrection in where we set . You mention dog parks and nature trails .. how close would you set to such hi traffic areas ? Here in my area , much like Martys we have a deer problem and I cant speak for him but there are spots I dont set just because of that problem .. yes I use breakaways but the still the best way to keep away from catching deer is to avoid them if possible . The same goes for the dogs , if a person is known to have one that ranges away from home I suggest staying out of there . Sometimes "Sorry " just doesnt help . Why take the risk ? Like Marty says , it is wise to take steps to avoid situations in private and not draw the attention of the public if possible .
Old 05-24-2018, 07:37 AM

Default Locals

I haven’t even looked on this forum for two years an the same is still going on. This discussion should be brought up at a local level. Our local has had issues an we have had lengthy discussions at just about every meeting. We partnered with the local fish and wildlife an put a seminar on for people with dogs. The turn out was well received an well attended. Get involved with people who have the same interest an get something started at a local level. Throwing thoughts out on a open forum my get something started but I really think it’s just talk.
Old 05-24-2018, 09:40 AM
Banned

H380
I personally have not had this problem BUT I know a few who have and If anyone may be interested I did write a list of do,s and don,t s and when and how to work with this type of equipment a while back to the ATA executive, possibly I was not renowned enough to be taken seriously ? I assume there is something else at work here , that could cause some info or whatever to be a problem , That is the fact that there are two groups in this , The registered group , and the Resident group , There is a split for sure in how problems are ironed out . This situation mentioned is NOT a great priority to the registered group BECAUSE this is not a problem at all , IT is our problem , you see?
But I can guarantee you after having done damage control for close to 20 years , and mostly in the night I can honestly say my track record speaks for itself!
The rules I submitted were about as strict as could be , and for the average Joe it really takes the novelty out of the game !
H 380 You must have wondered If I ran out of traps? LOL I ended up in the hospital in march ,
Old 05-31-2018, 08:03 AM

parfleche
I had this conversation with the ATA a couple weeks ago. I was asking them about getting a booklet together on dogs at large and trapping. I have seen this put together by the government of Nova Scotia in the past. I was told that snaring was at risk in the province and that the ATA was not interested, and to bring it up with ESRD. The booklet has the same information that is in the coarse that is being put on. I will be talking with my contacts at ESRD when I am not quite so busy.
Old 06-10-2018, 02:48 PM

The MD of Greenview just put out a reminder in their news letter to keep dogs on a leash when off the home property and clean up after them. Also they mentioned the fines involved. I think Greenview is more pro-active than some other counties and don't have to be reactive.
It was them that aerated Swan Lake when others were afraid of liability. They simply put up a fence around the open water with signs saying Danger Thin Ice.
Old 06-10-2018, 03:10 PM
Banned

Parkland County has a Responsible Pet Ownership guide (brochure).

https://www.parklandcounty.com/en/li...ship-Guide.pdf