Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-27-2012, 10:53 PM

Default Worst hunting caliber

I always see the "best hunting round" ect. Threads.

What would be your must least preferred round. I guess for big game hunting.

I haven't shot to many different guns so I don't have much input on my own question.

Curious to see if there's a hate for any specific chambering.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:59 PM

"Dirty 30" (.30-30)....followed closely by the "Twenty-five-twenty" (.25-20) if we are talking chamberings.

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 11-27-2012 at 11:04 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:03 PM

I'm not sure if chambering was the correct word, I mean .308, .270, .300 win, ect.

Not that I plan to see to many of those on the list.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comstar View Post
What would be your must least preferred round. I guess for big game hunting.
.229 Ackley Improved

Somebody won't get it.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:10 PM

.177 pellet....the deer just move from the lettuce to the carrots.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
"Dirty 30" (.30-30)....followed closely by the "Twenty-five-twenty" (.25-20) if we are talking chamberings.

LC
Blasphemy Lefty....your going to pizz off the hunting gods.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:22 PM

270 Win.

It's like the average looking girl of the hunting world.

Everybody has one. It gives a good job, but your friends don't wanna look at it.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneeze View Post
270 Win.

It's like the average looking girl of the hunting world.
No it's not. You could get a .270, Sneeze. LOL
Old 11-27-2012, 11:31 PM
Banned

Cool

Any caliber you can't buy at Ufa or crappie tyre. Come on sneeze .270 win, really, exceptionally effective comes to mind.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:37 PM

I'm new to guns so I have no say .... But from the many experienced guys I've been learning from they all seem to say

270. Too small for big game and too big for small game
Old 11-27-2012, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnafterwork View Post

Old 11-27-2012, 11:49 PM

Shot placement is the key.

A winchester wildcat .22 solid point will penetrate and kill a deer way more deader then a cci .22 stinger that will expand and expend energy and not penetrate hide and fat.

This is what I have been told.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnafterwork View Post
i'm new to guns so i have no say .... But from the many experienced guys i've been learning from they all seem to say

fail
Old 11-27-2012, 11:50 PM

I've also heard u can't have a deer too dead ..... Did I just start something I'm gonna regret haha
Old 11-28-2012, 12:06 AM

I will remind you though that like I said I'm very new to guns and different calibres so this is just what I have chosen to believe from the hunters I am learning from ... But the worst calibre is the one u don't feel comfy with .... As long as my lil savage 30.06 puts down something in the next 3 days I don't really care seems to make a good bang
Old 11-28-2012, 12:13 AM

I think we can pretty much all agree on the 17HMR which is apparently legal in Manitoba.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary d View Post
I think we can pretty much all agree on the 17HMR which is apparently legal in Manitoba.
I was told by somewone in the "know" that the inuit use it with effectivly on swimming caribou from short range that it works fine?
Old 11-28-2012, 12:54 AM

I seem to remember seeing a show on CBC years ago, where Inuit shot polar bears with a .222. Wouldn't be my first choice for that, but...That was what they had, that was what they used. and it worked.
There again ,too, I do not know why, but I will never own a 30-06 or a 300WM.
I just don't like either one, they make me just shy away from a gun chambered in them. I won a 300wby in a Vanguard, and a 30-06 in a Rem 700 and sold both of them because I didn't like the cartridges. And yet, I bought a 300H&H and a 30R Blaser.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:07 AM

Any gun that your buddy has the same chambering of
Old 11-28-2012, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IR_mike View Post
I was told by somewone in the "know" that the inuit use it with effectivly on swimming caribou from short range that it works fine?
ok, so they're swimming and can't really go anywhere but to continue swimming, and keeping their head above water. You come along side in a boat and pow! They hunt seals with clubs, and plains Indians chased buffalo off of cliffs. These methods have been widely successful in the past, maybe I should try one of those techniques when I go out Friday... if i find a deer swimming in open water, stranded on an iceflow or in a herd near a cliff.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxeMan View Post
Blasphemy Lefty....your going to pizz off the hunting gods.
....I know.... I should take it back.....but they haven't been shining down on me this season lately

....maybe these next couple days.

LC
Old 11-28-2012, 07:39 AM

I was kind hoping for big game calibers, 243 and up kinda thing.

I know a BB gun is a bad choice on deer, and gophers for that matter.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:47 AM

Limited experience here. Always liked 270, 30-30, and my favorite,by a long shot, 338. In spite of my fondness for the agreeable,get it done 30-30, I never was a fan of anything 30 cal.the sectional density, which I always put high priority on, never impressed me when compared to the 270, 338, and one of the best, the 7mm. As a 270 fan, in my younger years, thanks in no small part to growing up reading Jack O'connor, I think I was defensive against its main competitors, the 7mm and the 30-06. Looking back, I maybe should have grasped the 7mm, called it good and never looked back. Funny how we pick our favorites. Really no bad calibers, especially with today's powders and bullets.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:52 AM

Worst hunting caliber - The one in the hands of a shooter who doesn't practice and takes "hail Mary" shots, or is afraid of the recoil of his monster-mag rifle.

I have taken more than fifty game animals (deer and elk) with a range of cartridges from .303 British, 30-06, 7x57, .280 and honestly, I can't see any difference in results with good bullet placement.
One shot through both lungs with any average big game load will bring down any deer or elk with utter reliability IMHO. Conversely, a skinny, small deer has amazing vitality when shot in a non-vital area. Elmer Keith lost my respect when he railed on about the inadequacy of the 30-06 based on his shooting an elk in the ass with military surplus bullets. Sorry old timer, that was just irresponsible shooting.
I am sure that there are those with more experience than I that have their own pet cartridge, but I think the choice of cartridge is way, way over-hyped.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskbooknut View Post
Worst hunting caliber - The one in the hands of a shooter who doesn't practice and takes "hail Mary" shots, or is afraid of the recoil of his monster-mag rifle.

I have taken more than fifty game animals (deer and elk) with a range of cartridges from .303 British, 30-06, 7x57, .280 and honestly, I can't see any difference in results with good bullet placement.
One shot through both lungs with any average big game load will bring down any deer or elk with utter reliability IMHO. Conversely, a skinny, small deer has amazing vitality when shot in a non-vital area. Elmer Keith lost my respect when he railed on about the inadequacy of the 30-06 based on his shooting an elk in the ass with military surplus bullets. Sorry old timer, that was just irresponsible shooting.
I am sure that there are those with more experience than I that have their own pet cartridge, but I think the choice of cartridge is way, way over-hyped.
i couldn't agree more.well said.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary d View Post
NOT LEGAL IN MB, it has to be a center fire, you could use a 17 Rem if you wanted. I have never heard of anyone using one though. I have seen 222s, 223s and 22 -250s used to harvest deer cleanly and effectively with the right bullet and within the correct range.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Couldn't agree more. I have been hunting with buddies that I swear were more afraid of there rifle then the deer were of them.

They go to the range and shoot 5 shots of there big whiz bang magnum what ever's to see if they can hit the target where the scope is pointing and that is classified as there "range practice". They have been belted by the rifle and all they think about in the field is getting belted again when they pull the trigger.

What they don't realize is that adrenaline will kick on the hunt and most times when I pull the trigger in the field I don't feel the kick and barely hear the bang.

A fellow worker came with us last year that brought a .375 H&H to shoot White Tail Deer and he had shot 4 rounds and that was it in 3 years since he bought it. We saw a nice 3 point and I swear the end of his barrel was swinging all over the place when he took his first shot. 2nd one missed as did his third one. By this time the deer had gone thru some bush and exited on the far side into a field where I shot it with one shot from my little 30-30 trapper rifle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMIyiddPZQI LOL
Old 11-28-2012, 08:19 AM

I am not a fan of the .243 for Big game.. but for Coyotes, its dynamite
Old 11-28-2012, 08:20 AM

Quote:

X2
Old 11-28-2012, 08:20 AM

25-20 has my vote.

I've tried it.