Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-08-2023, 09:39 AM

Default Injured deer on highway

My neighbor just stopped by to notify me that a vehicle has injured a deer. It is alive laying beside the road. I called Fish and Wildlife to notify them. I was told that I could expect contact from a Fish & Wildlife officer very soon. However, I have heard nothing and the injured animal continues to suffer. This is a rural area, not in a town. Does anyone know if I have the authority to go a shoot it and put it out of it's misery?
Old 01-08-2023, 09:44 AM

S s s
Old 01-08-2023, 09:44 AM

Why wouldn't you phone F&W back and ask them?
No one on here can give you the authority.
Old 01-08-2023, 10:07 AM

Pretty black and white , no it is not legal .
Is it done? Absolutely, far more often than some will admit .
Cat
Old 01-08-2023, 10:19 AM

Phone the Lethbridge city police.
They’ll know what to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-08-2023, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKILR View Post
They’ll know what to do.

I think the deer is in enough trouble already

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
Old 01-08-2023, 10:21 AM

A few years back I hit a WT buck after dark on highway 22 near Bob Creek & I pulled over probably 150’ to 180’ past it. It was motionless on the center line and a pickup going the other way had stopped about 20’ the other side of it. I grabbed a knife from the cargo area in case it needed dispatching and started walking back to it to drag the carcass of the road for safety. I was dumbfounded as it hopped up & ran off when I was about 30’ from it, so I wasn’t tested on the follow-thru to my intent. I’m sure it would have expired in the bush though, I hit it hard enough to literally knock some turd out of it, that was smeared alongside my Sprinter as the deer spun (hit its head & shoulders, it spun and it’s butt dragged along the side of my vehicle).
Old 01-08-2023, 10:22 AM

We hit one with a gravel truck and it was in the ditch alive. F & W was busy else where and asked us to phone the report a poacher line and they would take care of it. RCMP ended up driving by and they were flagged down. Officer got out and dispatched the deer. We phoned report a poacher line and let them know and that was it. Someone came by in the next twenty minutes and took the whole deer away. Was a cranker Mulie buck. Was not Volker Stevin who takes care of the dead heads on the highway. This was Nov. 30 within last minutes of legal light.
Old 01-08-2023, 10:25 AM

Quote:
They’ll know what to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
I think the deer is in enough trouble already

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
I'm not the only twisted canuck around here apparently, because I thought the same thing.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 01-08-2023, 10:26 AM

I’ve hit my fair share of white tails when driving down the highway. I’d say pound for pound a white tail buck is one of the toughest animals around. I was simply amazed at some of the impacts I’ve had and they get up and skamper off like nothing happened.
Old 01-08-2023, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
We hit one with a gravel truck and it was in the ditch alive. F & W was busy else where and asked us to phone the report a poacher line and they would take care of it. RCMP ended up driving by and they were flagged down. Officer got out and dispatched the deer. We phoned report a poacher line and let them know and that was it. Someone came by in the next twenty minutes and took the whole deer away. Was a cranker Mulie buck. Was not Volker Stevin who takes care of the dead heads on the highway. This was Nov. 30 within last minutes of legal light.
Which is completely legal.

A person can pick up roadkill, and then apply for a permit to keep it.

Take a photo with the camera's GPS turned on.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 01-08-2023, 01:51 PM

Quote:
They’ll know what to do.

Put it in 4-LO and try again?

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Old 01-08-2023, 02:06 PM

You asked if you have the authority— no

But don’t confuse what is legal with what is right. The government is not in charge of right and wrong. On the other hand we have to accept the consequences of our actions so you will have chart your path.
Old 01-08-2023, 02:28 PM

Last year we had a mule buck crawl under our deck and die. I called F&W and asked if they wanted to pick it up for disposal, but they said it is not their problem - it was mine. They suggested I drag it to the edge of my acreage and let the coyotes have at it. I did not like the idea of coyotes getting used to food that close to my house so I got permission from the farmer next door to drag it into his field. I was surprised they did not want to inspect it to see if it had been shot, or maybe had CWD.
Old 01-08-2023, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher1 View Post
Last year we had a mule buck crawl under our deck and die. I called F&W and asked if they wanted to pick it up for disposal, but they said it is not their problem - it was mine. They suggested I drag it to the edge of my acreage and let the coyotes have at it. I did not like the idea of coyotes getting used to food that close to my house so I got permission from the farmer next door to drag it into his field. I was surprised they did not want to inspect it to see if it had been shot, or maybe had CWD.
They're probably so understaffed that that's just not something on their radar

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 01-08-2023, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
A few years back I hit a WT buck after dark on highway 22 near Bob Creek & I pulled over probably 150’ to 180’ past it. It was motionless on the center line and a pickup going the other way had stopped about 20’ the other side of it. I grabbed a knife from the cargo area in case it needed dispatching and started walking back to it to drag the carcass of the road for safety. I was dumbfounded as it hopped up & ran off when I was about 30’ from it, so I wasn’t tested on the follow-thru to my intent. I’m sure it would have expired in the bush though, I hit it hard enough to literally knock some turd out of it, that was smeared alongside my Sprinter as the deer spun (hit its head & shoulders, it spun and it’s butt dragged along the side of my vehicle).
Hit a deer in my work truck. We are required to use the spring retracting “safety” knives. After 25-30 slices to finally put it down I’ve never felt lower. I have refused to keep a “safety” knife in my truck since.
Old 01-08-2023, 03:56 PM

The way I see it if you come across an injured animal just do what’s right. No one else needs to know.
Old 01-08-2023, 04:32 PM
Banned

Default have to agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
S s s
agreed
Old 01-08-2023, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher1 View Post
Believe it or not, animals succumb to natural causes just like humans. Not every death is suspicious. CWD is a wasting disease. Animals don’t spontaneously die the moment they contract the disease. It takes a while just like cancer or aids in humans. As for being shot were there any indications to suggest that? Are you in an area with a lot of hunting or more urban mini acreage type lots or even inside town? Chances are slim and unfortunately even if a deer was shot without a time date or suspect odds of finding a shooter are slim. Not saying it’s right but you have to prioritize your responses and a deer crawling under a porch and dying is going to be near the bottom of the list every time. It is what it is sorry.
Old 01-08-2023, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
The way I see it if you come across an injured animal just do what’s right. No one else needs to know.
Thank you sir. And I fully agree.

That, I firmly believe, is the way to go in rural areas where this often occurs.

Done it before many times, and will continue to do it should the opportunity arises. No need to call F&W...scavengers gotta eat too.

Now in populated areas, which I don't live in, one has to watch him/herself...too many iphone cowboys/cowgirls out there...
Old 01-08-2023, 05:53 PM

I talked to my buddy’s son who is an rcmp constable, he said he dispatches the injuries animals on a highways all the time. Then drug the body to the ditch.
Old 01-08-2023, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Which is completely legal.

A person can pick up roadkill, and then apply for a permit to keep it.

Take a photo with the camera's GPS turned on.
I Was happy someone was able to use it.
Old 01-08-2023, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
Hit a deer in my work truck. We are required to use the spring retracting “safety” knives. After 25-30 slices to finally put it down I’ve never felt lower. I have refused to keep a “safety” knife in my truck since.
I keep a hunting knife in the door pocket all year long.
Can be used for a few different things, just sayin.
WDF
Old 01-08-2023, 07:47 PM

I may have Lethbridged a deer in my past, it was that or leave it suffer with 2 snapped legs and paralyzed. Though I will say speed is your friend when Lethbridging a deer.

It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere. Voltaire
Old 01-08-2023, 08:11 PM

I am a member of one of our local Fire Department's and I have yet to come across an "official" ruling on a situation like this. We do see our fair share of animal vs vehicle accidents and as far as I'm aware, it's been up to the RCMP. I have yet to see F&W show up to one. However, I am a believer in doing what's right for the animal.
Old 01-08-2023, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glion View Post
I may have Lethbridged a deer in my past, it was that or leave it suffer with 2 snapped legs and paralyzed. Though I will say speed is your friend when Lethbridging a deer.
I understand. Hit a WT doe years ago, had slowed down did no truck damage but broke both her front legs. She was in the ditch so drove 15 miles back to my buddy's place for a gun.

All he had ammo for was a 357. Drive back to where I hit her, she had struggled into the bush. In I go after her in street clothes waving a damn handgun, don't find her, drive 15 miles back to buddy's place. Wish I had Lethbridged her.

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 01-08-2023, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Rat View Post
Why wouldn't you phone F&W back and ask them?
No one on here can give you the authority.
Duh, he said he called F&W!
Old 01-08-2023, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post
Duh, he said he called F&W!
You must have missed the "call them back" part.
What's with the duh?
That's pretty immature.
Old 01-08-2023, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Rat View Post
You must have missed the "call them back" part.
What's with the duh?
That's pretty immature.
I got frustrated because i had not been contacted by fish and wildlife so i called again. When you call you are dealing with what i would describe as an answering service. Luckily i talked to the same person that i did on my first call. She told me that the officer would be calling and that the rcmp had been contacted to deal with the deer. Cops showed up and shot the deer. Still waiting for the call from fish and wildlife. If it was not a busy highway i would have handled things differently.
Old 01-08-2023, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Da Fisherman View Post
I keep a hunting knife in the door pocket all year long.
Can be used for a few different things, just sayin.
WDF
In my trucks they are always there. My work truck I wasn’t allowed. My work truck has real proper OLFA knives in them now. There will never be another horrific safety knife incident again in my life.