Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 08-09-2014, 05:10 PM

Default 1st post in the archery section

Hi guys this is actually my first post in the archery section although I have had my bow for two years I'm only now feeling comfortable enough to consistantly deliver a lethal shot. I made a stand for my 3d deer target earlier and have been practicing with that these past few weeks. I previously was using paper targets in a backdrop which helped but this gives a better idea.

I am wondering is the better option or which works best- a tree stand or a ground blind?My wife usually hunts with me so it would be a double tree stand if I get one.

What's the time to set one up and can it be done effectively on a day hunt. Just seems like a lot of prep for a day.

If a ground blind is there one that can be recommended?

Should you shoot through the mesh or remove it?

Thanks guys I'm hoping to get my first animal with a bow this year with the wife.
Old 08-09-2014, 05:23 PM

depends on your area, but i prefer treestands... ground blinds must be in place for a while before the season, the deer usually avoid them for a few weeks.

it is better to have several stands setup ahead of time, but you can set up anytime and hunt if that is necessary.

best is a light weight hang-on stand, with climbing sticks. Scout and trim your tree and shooting lanes ASAP, then simply decide which tree you will hunt out of based on the wind direction, go in, put your stands up and hunt. try to keep the noise to a minimum.

climbing stands work if you have a lot of straight trees without many branches.

Shoot through mesh works with fixed blade broadheads, just make sure you test it first to see if your particular setup show any effects at your chosen max range. if you take it off you have to brush in the opening a bit more, deer dont like the black shadowy opening, seem to know its not natural.

welcome aboard, and good luck
Old 08-09-2014, 06:01 PM

Default Thanks 3blade

Thanks for the help. All the input from the guys who know helps. I have hunted rifle and that's a different area all together. This archery scene really gets my heart pounding. Can't wait to get out. Thanks again
Old 08-09-2014, 06:38 PM

You'll need a ladder stand for you and the wife. Bulky and heavy, not fun! My hang on is up and blind is hidden already, as stated, get it done asap
Old 08-11-2014, 08:41 AM

Welcome to the dark side...lol
and all the best this year...

Neil