Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 02-05-2010, 08:36 AM
Banned

Talking 1000 AMC & 850 AWC Clubs anyone?

To carry my hijack over from another thread i'll post some comments here to see if we at ABO would like to be a 'really big deal' and come up with some cool goals for the bowhunting set and see if it takes off. Could use some input if yall like the idea. So here is continuation of hijacked thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rielbowhunter
So how does the mullie one go? I think that one might be eazyer for me.
okay....so the official unofficial archery only clubs go like this

1000 AMC (Archery Muley Club) and it takes 6 bucks to net over 1000 or an average of 166.7 which is near 15% higher than P&Y minimums

then there is the

850 AWC (Whitetail) and takes 6 bucks to net 850 or over or average of 141.6 which is near 15% higher than P&Y minimums

sorry, hope this doesn't hijack but if there are some people out there that can make these new official unoffical clubs we should start a new thread as we might be onto something here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vindalbakken View Post
Why so tough? If you were to set Whitetail at 15% over B&C minimums you would need 6 deer to go 1100, but they only want 900 for "the club".
I don't hunt archery, but just wonderin'.
excellent point, this just flew off the top of my head and i had good luck with muleys so just used them as my first start up....maybe selfishly thinking it would be a 'really' exclusive club......but good point, might have to take this over to the archery section and look for some input....if someone can start a 900 club for the gunners then we here at abo are a pretty big deal so we can start something of our own and might as well be for the bowhunters since the gun stuff seems to be rollin already....i will move this to the archery section

Last edited by Stinky Coyote; 02-05-2010 at 08:50 AM.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:40 AM
Banned

does anyone believe that b&c is much harder to attain than p&y? if so then maybe my current math isn't too far off what would make this still very challenging? and we'd still be talking some pretty nice trophy animals in any circle? this definitely open for debate/input....and of course this is all hypothetical for fun but maybe end of thread we come up with something catching and plug it a bit and see if it catches on in the bowhunting world a bit?

oh, and better/catchier names/acronyms etc. for the clubs to make them stand out and easy to remember should be part of the discussion forsure...full ABO input for this, if it sounds like fun?

and then maybe a combined club name for those 'masters' who get achieve both clubs? like the "1850 Masters" or some shizzo like that????

good to have goals boys

p.s. my initial quick thoughts on the whitetail club was 130 net but at 6 would be the 780 club and sounds funny, so 800 club would be 133 net average and thats when i just checked percentage above p&y on my muley idea and transfered to the whitetail idea to come up with best rounded figure of 850 and 141 net average....but that was just quicky stuff off the top of my head while joking around about it

Last edited by Stinky Coyote; 02-05-2010 at 08:53 AM.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:49 AM
Banned

by chance while talking about this....would anyone here happen to make either of the proposed clubs so far?
Old 02-05-2010, 10:36 AM
Banned

c'mon guys, lets build a fun club for the bow set here...

more ideas...

"Bow 1000" for a catchy name (6 muleys for example) and allowed one extra deer for whitetails....and if get both then you get to be part of the "Bow 2000" club (this still keeps things about 15% above p&y minimums, the whitetail ave. goes to 142 and change

oh, and have to be scored by a real scorer, no do it yourselfers?

just throwin em out there....lets make an ABO thing here, no takers, or ideas? all in the name of fun
Old 02-05-2010, 10:41 AM
Banned

another idea...the "Bow 1000" club could be any 7 deer period...regardless species? two muleys and five whitetails etc.? that would be a fun goal no? average would have to be almost 143" and lets say all must make p&y, so if all muleys then would be a shoe in forsure as they'd all be 145 or better net? just thinking outloud...
Old 02-05-2010, 10:52 AM

Hey Stinky?

Shut up and post some pics

Then I am going to start the Archery Bear and Moose club...Unofficial of course
Old 02-05-2010, 11:59 AM
Banned

hey don't try and steal my thunder, i'm a really big deal ya know

and if you get another 7 deer or less to get the next 1000....you could be apart of the Bow 2000 club....thats doable in a lifetime of hardcore bowhunting no?
Old 02-05-2010, 01:49 PM

Stinky I never should have came over and measured all of your deer for you.... look what you've become. Good thing Phaneuf got traded cause there wasn't room for both of you superstars in this town!

All kidding aside - Stinky has assembled a very impressive collection of archery Mule Deer over the years. Pretty cool to see.

Last edited by Chet; 02-05-2010 at 02:04 PM.
Old 02-05-2010, 02:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chet View Post
Stinky I never should have came over and measured all of your deer for you.... look what you've become. Good thing Phaneuf got traded cause there wasn't room for both of you superstars in this town!

All kidding aside - Stinky has assembled a very impressive collection of archery Mule Deer over the years. Pretty cool to see.
thanks Chet, and thanks for makin the trip over as you were right that would be much easier than trying to transport that many mounts lol

hey, i think i got the perfect name for this 7 deer any species club....the ABO 1000!!! anyone likey???
Old 02-05-2010, 02:40 PM

Might take me 6 years
Old 02-05-2010, 03:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter10 View Post
Might take me 6 years
thats the spirit, not supposed to be too easy....you live in the right part of the world to find those deer not far from home....both species
Old 02-05-2010, 05:27 PM

Default Abo?

What does ABO stand for?
Old 02-05-2010, 06:04 PM

Well..........after joining the elite 'Net Zero Club' this fall, I suppose it's time for a new challange.

I like the idea of unofficial clubs. The possibilities are endless when you really stop to consider it. It's never a bad thing having lofty goals to try and achieve..........in hunting, and in life.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wctbowtech View Post
What does ABO stand for?
named after this fine forum/magazine etc. of course...the good ole ABO.....what do you think? lets brainstorm a good bow only club thats challenging but doable here and that takes a certain amount of time/effort to accomplish and give it a catchy name and then maybe us ABO members can plug it here and there on other forums and see if it grows into an official unofficial club we can try to get into during our deer hunting time afield with sharpsticks, i don't see any speak of any clubs like the 900 club which is geared towards the bow crowd so why not be the first to come up with one?
Old 02-05-2010, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
named after this fine forum/magazine etc. of course...the good ole ABO.....what do you think? lets brainstorm a good bow only club thats challenging but doable here and that takes a certain amount of time/effort to accomplish and give it a catchy name and then maybe us ABO members can plug it here and there on other forums and see if it grows into an official unofficial club we can try to get into during our deer hunting time afield with sharpsticks, i don't see any speak of any clubs like the 900 club which is geared towards the bow crowd so why not be the first to come up with one?
Sounds like a good plan to me...

Probably get some club tshirts and hats made up.

My goal this year is a 180 + mule with bow.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:13 PM

Default For Stinky

Ok stinky see how you quoted me. first off i should not have said easy. Because Big mule deer are not easy to get with bow. All I think about is the gaint one that got away from me this year! Hit him , lost him. I suck!
So here is some of the luck I have had over the years in the Calgary bow zone al

[IMG]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2799/4342898586_53e2272ba9_o.jpg[/IMG
Old 02-08-2010, 10:38 PM

Default some more

more.

this one I hit and found it to late. nets 179

this was my first mule deer with gun back in 1993.

this guy !!!! lets just say . I liked the sticker and didn't have time to judge him, that well.

I think that one tasted the best.
Sorry stinky , but I am not going to do the math. hope you enjoy the pictures.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:11 PM

I forgot about this I got on the last day of the season, years ago, he walked down the trail i was sitting on, and stopped at my 40 yard marker. looked nice and wide so. Here he is

As memorable and great as these hunts have been , I think of the monster bucks that have gave me the slip or gotten away. Those are the ones I think about all the time. There's always next year!
Old 02-08-2010, 11:37 PM

Great work, buddy. You definatly have put the time in and deserve what you got.Thanx for sharing, I always forget how much you have accomplished with your arrow flicker.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:38 AM
Banned

awesome, i think you could come up with some parameters for a club.....

since we have decent mule deer and whitetail hunting in the province maybe an Alberta born 'club' for the bowhunters with a combined species etc. might be an idea
Old 02-09-2010, 09:01 AM

C'mon Stinky, set the rules already. Waffle, waffle, waffle. You practicing for politics? ABO will become famous around the world, the envy of all hunters.

Don't forget about those who hunt the less elusive Alberta Coues Deer and Alberta Blacktail.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:41 AM

Thanks for the kind words. I missed this big guy too when downloading, I don't know how because I really like this one.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:20 AM

Wow Bill you are a killing machine

Great bucks..

Takes alot of time and dedication to kill that many great animals with the bow..

My hat is off to you..
Old 02-09-2010, 10:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
C'mon Stinky, set the rules already. Waffle, waffle, waffle. You practicing for politics? ABO will become famous around the world, the envy of all hunters.

Don't forget about those who hunt the less elusive Alberta Coues Deer and Alberta Blacktail.

just horsing around, if got more feedback from the bowhunters saying they liked the idea then we could work out some details, can't imagine i've already thought of everything so i'll leave it alone...

if we need something official then my favorite is the "Bow 1000"....takes 7 deer any species, net scores, making the average net target 142 and change

one could debate whether they need to be officially scored or even p&y entered to keep it simple/more challenging?

maybe a gross score club would work, do more justice for the animals but i guess goal is to show 'dedicated trophy hunters' accomplishments not the flukey one time big deer etc.

i'll maybe try a poll with different ideas and see if more bowhunters chime in that way? i don't know how to do a poll it seems...bow 1000 it is
Old 02-09-2010, 12:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rielbowhunter View Post
Ok stinky see how you quoted me.[/IMG
wow, i think you might be on your way to the Bow 2000 Club? How many muleys do you have that would net over 145 and how bout whitetails???? mind posting the answer here? http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=52080
Old 02-09-2010, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post
Great work, buddy. You definatly have put the time in and deserve what you got.Thanx for sharing, I always forget how much you have accomplished with your arrow flicker.
X2, big congrats Bill. Wicked deer with the bow!
Old 02-10-2010, 12:53 AM

Thumbs down

Hi Coyote, I'm horsing around too. THis tread is worth following, the pics are inspiring. I have only done a little bit of hunting with my bear recurve, and love it. Promise myself every year to put more time into it. Keep it up.