Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-27-2011, 05:03 PM

Default Ruger 10/22 accesories

I have a ruger 10/22. It already has laminated stock, heavy barrel, and a bipod. I am going to buy an automatic bolt release soon.
Is there anything else I should put on this gun to make it better and more fun to shoot?
Old 12-27-2011, 05:07 PM

25 round clips.
Old 12-27-2011, 05:15 PM

check out CheapGunParts.com they are in the US but they ship to Canada
Old 12-27-2011, 05:30 PM

I have looked into 25 round clips a little bit but it hasn't been a really big thing to me what kind a clip do you use?
Old 12-27-2011, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comstar View Post
I have a ruger 10/22. It already has laminated stock, heavy barrel, and a bipod. I am going to buy an automatic bolt release soon.
Is there anything else I should put on this gun to make it better and more fun to shoot?
A better trigger is what most guys do right off the bat.
Timneys are drop in affairs...
Cat
Old 12-27-2011, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Cat
How much do new triggers cost and also would it be better to just get it worked on by a gun smith? The ruger I got is the target model and I was told it already has a better trigger but I don't know if this is true. Have you heard anything like this?
Old 12-27-2011, 06:03 PM

I bought a tapco t6 stock and put it on mine. Hard to get in Canada but fun.

Old 12-27-2011, 06:22 PM

Quote:
How much do new triggers cost and also would it be better to just get it worked on by a gun smith? The ruger I got is the target model and I was told it already has a better trigger but I don't know if this is true. Have you heard anything like this?
The factory triggers are sloppy, and inconsistent. You can buy a kit for about $100 with a new sear, and shims,springs, etc, that make a huge difference, but the complete trigger assemblies usually cost twice as much or more.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:44 PM

When you have it apart to do the trigger then you can do your own mod on the bolt release. I did my own and smoothed the action too. Not hard to do

WOODY
CSSA NFAMember
Old 12-27-2011, 06:44 PM

Just search 10/22 auto bolt realase and 10/22 trigger job on youtube. Both can be done with the stock parts with little effort. To make the auto bolt release all you have to do is grind a little tab off the original bolt release.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 12-27-2011, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppaW View Post
When you have it apart to do the trigger then you can do your own mod on the bolt release. I did my own and smoothed the action too. Not hard to do
Just got the bolt release done a few minutes ago works great so far.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:17 AM

After monkeying with a few 10-22s the best trigger I found was the timney unit. Mystic precision sells them I think it was about 125 bucks easy to install and worth every penny. If its just a factory target model I'm goin to go out on a limb and say the trigger is the same crappy one they put in all the rest of the models, pick up a tougher buffer as well it will save a little wear and tear on your bolt. Congrats you just bought yourself a hobby lol just like the rest of us
"I don't know about the "shooting Savages" part. I have one and I have had considerable difficulty doing well with it. Part of the reason for this is that I feel a need to put bag over my head to hide my identity when ever I am shooting it!"
Leeper
Old 12-28-2011, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmcleod82 View Post
After monkeying with a few 10-22s the best trigger I found was the timney unit. Mystic precision sells them I think it was about 125 bucks easy to install and worth every penny. If its just a factory target model I'm goin to go out on a limb and say the trigger is the same crappy one they put in all the rest of the models, pick up a tougher buffer as well it will save a little wear and tear on your bolt. Congrats you just bought yourself a hobby lol just like the rest of us
It's been a fun gun so far! I am just getting into firearms more so I don't think I will get the trigger changed. I am 14 and I dont have a whole bunch of money.lol. My dad also has and old cooey model 600 which would probably be a fairly accurate gun I'm guessing. It has a fairly Heavy trigger though. Do you know How hard would it be to get it fixed or if it would have to be smithed?
Old 12-28-2011, 11:25 AM

Im sure a little searching around on gunnuts would find a solution for a cooey trigger, some of them that I have shot were very accurate, but if you had to pay to get the trigger worked on you would be better off buying a savage mark II heavy barrel with an acutrigger for 275 bucks. Good trigger and it will shoot for sure
"I don't know about the "shooting Savages" part. I have one and I have had considerable difficulty doing well with it. Part of the reason for this is that I feel a need to put bag over my head to hide my identity when ever I am shooting it!"
Leeper
Old 12-28-2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmcleod82 View Post
Im sure a little searching around on gunnuts would find a solution for a cooey trigger, some of them that I have shot were very accurate, but if you had to pay to get the trigger worked on you would be better off buying a savage mark II heavy barrel with an acutrigger for 275 bucks. Good trigger and it will shoot for sure
Ok I will check around for info on it. The gun has just been sitting but we recently put a new scope on it and I would like to try to get it's sighted in good. A Lighter trigger would help that.
Old 12-28-2011, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Cat
Hey Cat, are these things worth installing in a brand new Model 70? I've ordered a Model 70 Safari and wouldn't be upset at installing a $120.00 trigger upgrade if it were worth it.

Tags
10/22, 22lr, accessories, ruger