Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 04-25-2013, 09:48 PM

Default Hardy ul dd

Anyone have one of these reels that would be willing to provide some feedback?
Thanks, I would really appreciate it!
Old 04-25-2013, 09:55 PM

Good pickup, smooth drag. I have a 4/5 but use it mostly on my 4 wt systems. If you don't need 100yrds of backing, and don't use a DT line, you could probably get away with, for example, the 4/5 or the 5/6 for a 5wt line. They also have a new multi-cassette version that looks pretty good, especially if you are looking at using this reel on a 6wt+ rod.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown trout View Post
Good pickup, smooth drag. I have a 4/5 but use it mostly on my 4 wt systems. If you don't need 100yrds of backing, and don't use a DT line, you could probably get away with, for example, the 4/5 or the 5/6 for a 5wt line. They also have a new multi-cassette version that looks pretty good, especially if you are looking at using this reel on a 6wt+ rod.
Thanks, are you able to remove the "clicking" ?
Old 04-25-2013, 10:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyreeUM View Post
Thanks, are you able to remove the "clicking" ?
Why would you remove the clicking.....that's a true classic sound
Old 04-25-2013, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngiant View Post
Why would you remove the clicking.....that's a true classic sound
Haha I hate it! Plus I like to be able to slap the reel and quickly pick up line to get a large fish on the reel as quick as possible, the clicking slows this process way down.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyreeUM View Post
Haha I hate it! Plus I like to be able to slap the reel and quickly pick up line to get a large fish on the reel as quick as possible, the clicking slows this process way down.
Oh baby....I luv luv luv that ole clicking sound....it turns me on.

The clicking does not slow the process down....its in your head.
That clicking sound is throwing you off your game.

Time for a different reel.....let me know if you wanna sell it
Old 04-25-2013, 10:20 PM

I have one but if you handled one in the store you probably know as much as I do about them. If not I can tell you they seem every bit as good as advertised. Very nice finish and solid. I striped it down and it certainly looks like quality workmanship. I have the 3000 and it balances perfectly on a 8'6" 4wt ZXL.

I did get it out for some casting and a quick trip to Stauffer Creek. All seems perfect but haven't caught a fish on it yet.

I do own and have fished with some pretty good quality reels and for the price this seems like a good deal. If it were priced another hundred higher it wouldn't feel out of line.

Hardy has a history of quality product and I can't see them risking that reputation. It is made in Korea along with some of their other products, but if the Zenith and this reel are any indication that may be a good thing.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngiant View Post
Oh baby....I luv luv luv that ole clicking sound....it turns me on.

The clicking does not slow the process down....its in your head.
That clicking sound is throwing you off your game.

Time for a different reel.....let me know if you wanna sell it
I have not picked one up yet, but I was thinking about trying one out for a trip next week. Unfortunately, the clicking does slow the process down quite a bit, at least on several reels that I own. I have removed it on all of my large arbor reels and the free spin of the reel is night and day difference between "click" and "no click".
Old 04-26-2013, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
I have one but if you handled one in the store you probably know as much as I do about them. If not I can tell you they seem every bit as good as advertised. Very nice finish and solid. I striped it down and it certainly looks like quality workmanship. I have the 3000 and it balances perfectly on a 8'6" 4wt ZXL.

I did get it out for some casting and a quick trip to Stauffer Creek. All seems perfect but haven't caught a fish on it yet.

I do own and have fished with some pretty good quality reels and for the price this seems like a good deal. If it were priced another hundred higher it wouldn't feel out of line.

Hardy has a history of quality product and I can't see them risking that reputation. It is made in Korea along with some of their other products, but if the Zenith and this reel are any indication that may be a good thing.
Thanks, that really helps. It seemed to be well put together and I could not believe how light it was. The arbor is huge on the 4000, reminded me of that old cabelas SLA. I think I will pick one up and at least give it a go, hopefully on a couple 10 pound plus rainbows so I can really put the drag to the test.
Thanks guys.