Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-22-2024, 10:14 AM

Default Saskatchewan drive in lodges/cabins

I am looking for input on somewhere to take my wife and almost 5 year old son this summer. Must offer cabin and boat rentals. I have looked into Davin lake lodge (it’s an option but a bit of a trek to get there) and also little pine lodge. I’d like to keep within a 8 hour drive of Edmonton ideally but may consider a bit farther. Trophy fishing isn’t the first priority by any means and preferably a lake that is fairly easy to navigate and bonus if it has some kind of a beach area for the little one. Another place I’m looking into is lake deifenbaker. I used to go there in the summers as a kid and I think it was Saskatchewan landing marina that offered boat rentals but I can’t find any info on if they still offer them or anywhere else in the area for that matter
Old 03-22-2024, 10:19 AM

https://www.dorelakelodge.com/accomm...-and-amenities

Love Dore lake.
Old 03-22-2024, 10:25 AM

Tawaw Cabins on Waterhen Lk are nice, good fishing and family friendly, Northern Echo Lodge up by La Ronge is real nice, you drive up and they shuttle you across the lake in their boat. Nice cabins and boat rentals there.
Old 03-22-2024, 10:29 AM

https://sasklandingmarina.ca/
No boat rentals.
Lots of great spots along Hanson Lake road
Old 03-22-2024, 11:29 AM

https://bigislandcove.com/

Our favorite - go there every year. If you rent a boat you can get to numerous beautiful sandy bays/beaches anywhere on the lake if the one by resort is not up to your liking.
Old 03-22-2024, 11:42 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Jan lake lodge

We stayed a few times at cabin 5

Beach etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-22-2024, 11:59 AM

Besnard Lake Lodge. Your arms will be sore from catching fish. Cabins and Boat rentals.
Old 03-22-2024, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superuke View Post
Besnard Lake Lodge. Your arms will be sore from catching fish. Cabins and Boat rentals.
What time of year were your arms sore? We were there last year, late June and couldn't catch enough for shore lunch the last day! could have been the guide, he just wanted to drive around and burn gas it seemed.Kelly the owner is a great guy, the guide wasn't that great, didn't seem to know the lake that well, we actually followed another boat/ guide around so we could catch some fish, beautiful lake though. We are booked this year,the first week of June at Nordic lodge/ reindeer lake.
Old 03-22-2024, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superuke View Post
Also went in September 3 years ago it was ok for fishing, guide had us on fish, I would go back there, lodge and boats
Old 03-22-2024, 03:20 PM

Newmart cabins on Mirond Lake are great and very affordable.
Went last year, going again this year. Mickey that runs it is as nice of a guy as you will ever meet.
Old 03-22-2024, 03:46 PM

I keep going back to Tobin Lake Resort, clean cabins and a sheltered marina. They rent boats so you would be covered.
Old 03-22-2024, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol whitey View Post
What time of year were your arms sore? We were there last year, late June and couldn't catch enough for shore lunch the last day! could have been the guide, he just wanted to drive around and burn gas it seemed.Kelly the owner is a great guy, the guide wasn't that great, didn't seem to know the lake that well, we actually followed another boat/ guide around so we could catch some fish, beautiful lake though. We are booked this year,the first week of June at Nordic lodge/ reindeer lake.
I grew up with Kelly. He is a great guy. Some guides are definitely better than others. Anyone that I know that has been there has always been on the fish. He almost lost the whole works due to the forest fires. He shipped his family and everyone else out and he stayed to man the sprinklers. The fires got to within 500 yards of the camp before the bombers got it controlled and it turned with the wind direction.
Old 03-22-2024, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol whitey View Post
Stopped going there because of the same kinda thing. Was better fishing close to home like Dore and Keeley. Definitely not an easy lake to navigate either the west side is full of reefs. The OP wanted easy to navigate and Besnard is quite rocky to say the least.

Last edited by HL_transplant; 03-22-2024 at 08:23 PM.
Old 03-23-2024, 01:17 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Jan lake lodge

We stayed a few times at cabin 5

Beach etc

https://janlakelodge.com/

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-24-2024, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK47 View Post
https://bigislandcove.com/

Our favorite - go there every year. If you rent a boat you can get to numerous beautiful sandy bays/beaches anywhere on the lake if the one by resort is not up to your liking.
I ended up booking here for 3 nights in June. Easy and convenient location and very reasonable pricing. Do you have any tips that would help out a newbie? I checked C maps and had a look at the depth chart. Looks like it has some pretty good structure

Thanks everyone for the replies and suggestions! This summer will be a family trip but I think next summer I will be planning a boys trip and for that one I’ll be looking at a couple of the ones suggested for sure!
Old 03-26-2024, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikehunter1989 View Post
I ended up booking here for 3 nights in June. Easy and convenient location and very reasonable pricing. Do you have any tips that would help out a newbie? I checked C maps and had a look at the depth chart. Looks like it has some pretty good structure

Thanks everyone for the replies and suggestions! This summer will be a family trip but I think next summer I will be planning a boys trip and for that one I’ll be looking at a couple of the ones suggested for sure!
If you look on google maps all drop offs and popular underwater humps are easy to spot - even the first drop off right west of the boat launch is pretty good for non stop pike action. Pike is plenty and easy to catch. Walleye on the other hand are tough. But I never fished in June there, might be better with cooler water. Perch is everywhere but biggest ones people catching in Rangers bay. Owner of the resort has lake bathymetry maps available during check in and can mark some good spots for you.
Old 03-26-2024, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikehunter1989 View Post

Ranger bay should be the spot for when you are there. Also by northern cross resort, there are humps out in the lake off the shore and i have caught good walleye on those
Old 03-26-2024, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
https://janlakelodge.com/

Been up there 4 times and love that lake as well. Helps if you go with someone that knows it as there are lots of shoals to be careful of. HUGE lake though. We always stayed with F.A.T.S. camp except for one year we used a campsite at Jan Lake Lodge. We go with a large group every June.