Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-07-2021, 09:06 AM

Default Type 1 Diabetes and hunting

So long story short my 7 year old son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about 1.5 yrs ago. As he is getting older he is becoming more interested in coming out hunting with me. I like to cover ground on foot when hunting moose and elk and like to sit for deer. Anyways I was wondering if any hunters or hutresses on here are type one diabetic? And have any tips on what they do? Like insulin storage in warm and cold weather? Or what type of foods do you bring on a hunt? Also how are you dressing for early season up until late season? Any tips for me to help my son stay comfortable in the field are very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-07-2021, 08:22 PM

My son was also diagnosed 2 years ago. He is now 15 and had the hunting bug before hand so nothing was going to slow him down.

I was also worried but the ironic part is his blood sugar while hunting is under way better control than at home. Lots of exercise while out in the woods.

Pocket full of granola bars and eating them when needed. For him he needs way less insulin hunting. Keep insulin in a cooler and have fun. I dont worry about him any more, especially knowing he is doing what he loves.

Happy to help with our experience. Pm if you like.

Sent from my SM-A715W using Tapatalk
Old 03-08-2021, 05:30 AM

I am an insulin dependent type 2 diabetic , i just dress for the season but i always have extra clothes in the truck. As worm said keep the insulin in a cooler if its real hot and keep on our body if its real cold. Lots of snacks like granola bars ,Real orange juice or oranges.
Handy to have some Dextrose around as well just in case of a low
Old 03-08-2021, 07:32 AM

Good point on sugars. A pocket full of skittles is his go to. Just take out of the original packaging as it is really loud.

Sent from my SM-A715W using Tapatalk
Old 03-08-2021, 07:41 AM

I've been a type 1 for 21 years now... went on a pump in 2008 and have hunted from 2003ish.. in short always keep some type of sugar around, be cautious hunting solo. One thing that does make a huge difference is today's cgm technology. I run it some even though insurance doesn't cover it yet but that is a gamechanger. I find on my backpack hunts I use only 1/4 to 1/2 the insulin as usual. My doctor once said you can either control your diabetes or it will control you...dont let it slow him down!!!
Old 03-08-2021, 07:53 AM

My daughter is T1D and was diagnosed at 13 y/o. She is not a hunter but she is very active.

For her insulin, in warm weather she keeps it in a cooler bag with an ice pack that she got from the Stollery's. In the winter (ie skiing) she keeps it on her body (inside pocket)

For snacks it's a little harder because she got the double whammy and is celiac too. She takes the standard juice, rockets/skittles (she prefers them over the sugar tabs for lows), GF granola bars, cheese, pepperoni, sliced peppers. For Jordyn, she always needs a protein with her sugar when she has a low.

Jordyn's doctor referred to her liver as an "adrenalin junky". When she is active her sugars actually go really high and then in the middle of the night her liver takes back the sugar it dumped and she goes really low. I found this to be the hardest thing to deal with especially when we were back country camping and couldn't have food near by. (I'm not fond of midnight trips to the bear lockers).

When she was first diagnosed I felt like life was over and boy was I ever wrong. She is now 21, about to graduate university and has travelled (without us) to Europe, SE Asia, Australia and New Zealand.

In the beginning I hauled around enough food to feed an army. Over time I got much better at knowing what she really needed. Have fun and feel free to message me if you need any help/advice.
Old 03-08-2021, 09:28 AM

One of the most accomplished outdoor athletes that I know (climbing, mountaineering, backcountry skiing) swears by Dextrose tablets. He is stronger and more fit than nearly everyone I know.

A word of caution: as his dentist, I have seen them do a number on his teeth in terms of dental decay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-08-2021, 02:20 PM

I’m not a diabetic (thank God) but quite often after a high intensity activities I feel a bit light headed and dizzy.... Need to eat something ASAP or it is getting worse... Since the first few episodes, I alway carry a few candies on me and some food in a truck. I also always have hot tea with some sugar in the thermos in a vehicle. Better be safe than sorry.
Old 03-09-2021, 04:01 PM

I am type 2 now Insulin dependent. I still use old fashioned test strips and they are my go to indicator. Todays insulins are not so Temp. dependent as old timey, but as other have said just use common sense.

Where I differ from others advice is that i use the dextrose / DEX 4 (brand Name) tabs. They are a measured dose of Dextrose and much quicker acting to combat a low than other sugars that must be converted to Dextrose before they can be assimilated.

Also all hunt / fish / pals know that 4 of the Dex tabs if I'm going low is the route to follow. I have the tabs everywhere, truck, boat, home, pocket etc.
Old 03-09-2021, 06:47 PM

My son was diagnosed type 1 since 5 yrs old and has always been my hunting buddy. Continue to feed for activity and monitor short term term insulin. Sugar tabs are very handy and feed for activity is a big one. I would probably suggest more frequent testing for blood sugar levels then norm until u get a real feel for it. Dress for the cold. One thing i learned the hard way is alway always bring additional supplies in case something happens. Usually brought enough long and short term for the day outing. Got stuck once for 18 hours in middle of no where with no additional provisions and wouldn’t wish that on anyone. Turned out ok in the end but was too close for comfort
Old 03-09-2021, 09:29 PM

Thanks for all the replies everyone!!! Some great tips here. Last year my son came out one morning Aug 30 I think, we were approaching an area that usually holds elk as it was getting close to his breakfast time. As I was giving him his insulin shot we heard a bugle. He got pretty excited and I don't think I've ever seen him eat so fast. After breakfast we closed the distance to within 100 yards, but I got too aggressive with my bugles and the bull turned his cows in the other direction and never made another sound. I guess I had used all my patience up at breakfast time lol. Good times ahead anyways. Thanks again everyone!
Old 03-11-2021, 08:09 AM

Been a diabetic for 15 years diagnosed at 11, 26 now so have been hunting my whole life as a diabetic. Dad and sister also type 1 so have alot of experience with this disease. With the advances that have come along honestly not a whole lot to worry about anymore if on the pump you will just notice you use alot less insulin. If you are still on needles and long acting insulin you just need to plan ahead for the amount of activity you think you will have planned for that day. Even if you are on the pump ALWAYS bring needles in case of pump failure. I do not worry to much anymore about temp of insulin just try to keep extra insulin cool. They make pouches Frio is one company that you soak in water and you can carry them around and they keep insulin cool for days. As always have extra sugar on hand. Feel free to message me if you need anything.
Old 03-11-2021, 03:03 PM

Default Dexcom

Get a dexcom as well so you wont need your strips or meter to test your blood as the dexcom gives you a blood sugar reading every 5 minutes 24/7.
I have had one about a year now and they are a game changer.