Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-02-2021, 07:10 AM

Default Ice Auger

I am looking at picking up a new ice auger 8" Eskimo or Jiffy wondering which would be a better product thoughts

Thx Gill
Old 03-02-2021, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillfisher View Post
I am looking at picking up a new ice auger 8" Eskimo or Jiffy wondering which would be a better product thoughts

Thx Gill
This is largely a Chevy/Ford debate. I have an Eskimo, and love it, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Jiffy. If both have an equal engine size, purchase the one that's cheaper. But regardless of which one you buy, use Aspen or a similar premium premixed fuel.
Old 03-02-2021, 11:10 AM

I know it's not one of your choices but I'd go Strikemaster....
Old 03-02-2021, 02:44 PM

If I was buying a new auger right now the only thing I'd want is a StrikeMaster 40v. Honestly, I want someone to buy my Jiffy Pro4 propane unit so I'll have an excuse to go electric next year. Ha ha.
Old 03-02-2021, 04:02 PM

Once you go electric you wonder why you didn’t do it years ago no fuel more compact.
Old 03-02-2021, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastoff View Post
Once you go electric you wonder why you didn’t do it years ago no fuel more compact.
Agree 100%
Old 03-02-2021, 05:07 PM

Old Tecumseh powered Jiffy's for me. I currently own two Jiffys, a Strikemaster and a Eskimo, all of mine have compatible Tecumseh engines on them. The only reason I keep the Strikemaster and the Eskimo around is because as spare engines for the Jiffys.
Old 03-02-2021, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
Old Tecumseh powered Jiffy's for me. I currently own two Jiffys, a Strikemaster and a Eskimo, all of mine have compatible Tecumseh engines on them. The only reason I keep the Strikemaster and the Eskimo around is because as spare engines for the Jiffys.
Don't the Jiffy's spin counterclockwise vs clockwise for strikemaster and eskimo? I believe that is how the current ones run but maybe it hasn't always been like that.
Old 03-03-2021, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL_JR View Post
Don't the Jiffy's spin counterclockwise vs clockwise for strikemaster and eskimo? I believe that is how the current ones run but maybe it hasn't always been like that.
Yes they do, but thats because they run less gears in the drive train, not because of any difference in the engines. A Tecumseh off an Eskimo, or whatever, once bolted on to a Jiffy gearbox will spin the auger the correct direction.
Old 03-03-2021, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Yes they do, but thats because they run less gears in the drive train, not because of any difference in the engines. A Tecumseh off an Eskimo, or whatever, once bolted on to a Jiffy gearbox will spin the auger the correct direction.
Figured that's what you would have to do, just thought I'd mention as I could see it burning a fellow if they took a spare along on a trip thinking that it would be as easy as throwing the entire power head on an auger...

Still have a couple tecumseh's around that are old, things won't die although don't see as much use lately. Only thing I've really had to do is put new plugs in and new diaphragm in one carb (get stiff over time).
Old 03-03-2021, 07:10 AM

Electric is the way to go!
Old 03-03-2021, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Figured that's what you would have to do, just thought I'd mention as I could see it burning a fellow if they took a spare along on a trip thinking that it would be as easy as throwing the entire power head on an auger...

Still have a couple tecumseh's around that are old, things won't die although don't see as much use lately. Only thing I've really had to do is put new plugs in and new diaphragm in one carb (get stiff over time).
Yes, very true, they arent spares in that sense. They just sit in my shed waiting for the Jiffy's to die. To get the engines onto the gearbox would probably also require them being mounted on the Jiffy chassis/ handles. In some instances the throttle linkage is different so you would also need to swap the carburetors and a few other things as well.
Old 03-03-2021, 08:52 AM

I bought an 8" Eskimo about 4 years ago. I run the engine dry at the end of the season.
Three pulls at the beginning of the next season and starts up right away...I love mine.

A buddy has the exact one and has discovered a small fuel leak....my point here is, there are no supporting Eskimo dealer/shops here.

Any suggestions would be appreciated?

If I was to start all over, I would look hard at the electric or the propane ones....and in a 10" auger....

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 03-03-2021, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graybeard View Post
I bought an 8" Eskimo about 4 years ago. I run the engine dry at the end of the season.
Three pulls at the beginning of the next season and starts up right away...I love mine.

A buddy has the exact one and has discovered a small fuel leak....my point here is, there are no supporting Eskimo dealer/shops here.

Any suggestions would be appreciated?

If I was to start all over, I would look hard at the electric or the propane ones....and in a 10" auger....
Just to present the other side, I have a 10" auger and dont use it very much. I've got a few 40" pike up an 8" hole, and IMO finding big fish often requires drilling lots of holes and moving around, the 8" is more portable and easyer to drill with.

Every one thinks they want a 10" auger, but most people I know that own both use the 8" more. And in my observations, when out with a group of guys and both sizes are available, generally at the end of the day there are far more 8" holes punched in the ice.
Old 03-03-2021, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Just to present the other side, I have a 10" auger and dont use it very much. I've got a few 40" pike up an 8" hole, and IMO finding big fish often requires drilling lots of holes and moving around, the 8" is more portable and easyer to drill with.

Every one thinks they want a 10" auger, but most people I know that own both use the 8" more. And in my observations, when out with a group of guys and both sizes are available, generally at the end of the day there are far more 8" holes punched in the ice.
Thanks Bush;

Hmm, good points; maybe a re-thinking on my part....and money savings.

I am hoping that my Eskimo will last me for a while.....

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 03-03-2021, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa View Post
If I was buying a new auger right now the only thing I'd want is a StrikeMaster 40v. Honestly, I want someone to buy my Jiffy Pro4 propane unit so I'll have an excuse to go electric next year. Ha ha.
I also want to get rid of my jiffy propane. Need the same excuse

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 03-03-2021, 10:10 AM

Default Jiffy

I have a 1994 Jiffy 3HP and what can I say it WORKS. I have a 10" and an 8" flight and find the 8" is never used. I especially like the 10" hole if I'm sight fishing in shallower water and while I could certainly get any pike I've ever caught up the 8" hole the 10" is a little less bother.

I have said that if my Jiffy quits I will go electric, because I definitely find the Jiffy with the 10" flight seems to be getting heavier every year.

Phil
Old 03-04-2021, 09:04 AM

Quote:

I've had the 8" out the past few days for the first time this year as we went to new lakes and knew we would be drilling upwards of 100 holes daily. The 8" cuts way faster than the 10" (these are both Ion G2's) with less effort. The battery also lasts way longer, allowing you to cut a significantly greater number of holes. I agree with Bushleague that I have yet to see a fish that won't come up an 8" hole (although getting some going up the hole can be a chore).

Still, a 10" hole is nicer to fish with electronics down the hole, is better for sight fishing, and makes landing fish considerably easier. I like the 8" when I am searching and the 10" when I am on fish. If I could have only one it would be the 10" with additional batteries, but that can get expensive.
Old 03-04-2021, 09:33 AM

go with the one with the best warrantee
Old 03-04-2021, 11:00 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastoff View Post
yup...strikemaster 40v...done!!!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-06-2021, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
I have a 1994 Jiffy 3HP and what can I say it WORKS. I have a 10" and an 8" flight and find the 8" is never used. I especially like the 10" hole if I'm sight fishing in shallower water and while I could certainly get any pike I've ever caught up the 8" hole the 10" is a little less bother.

I have said that if my Jiffy quits I will go electric, because I definitely find the Jiffy with the 10" flight seems to be getting heavier every year.

Phil
I sometimes entertain the idea of trading my 10" leg for another 8". Shouldn't have any shortage of takers if I ever decide to.

Basically my 10" only comes out when theres a bunch of people along to help drill holes, then everyone is like "Oh sweet, a 10" and they drill a couple holes. The next time they want some holes however they usually grab the 8"er. Possibly this is because my home lake often has 4' of ice, occasionally more, by February.
Old 03-06-2021, 03:19 PM

Quote:
The nice thing about electrics is any flight will work I use the 10” from my gas strikemaster but since it has reverse could use the other ones too
Old 03-06-2021, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
yup...strikemaster 40v...done!!!
been looking one where did to find it at.
Old 03-06-2021, 06:52 PM

they might make a law to only use battery operated augers go with a strkemaster 40v. auger you will not be disappointed
Old 03-07-2021, 08:19 PM

I have an 8" Jiffy and it has never let me down or given me any issues. My buddy has an 8" Eskimo and it has also never let him down. I'd get whichever one you can get the best deal on.
Old 03-08-2021, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish99 View Post
been looking one where did to find it at.
My fishing partner bought hers on Amazon.ca....I use it

You can find them on sale with two battery's if you look around......game changer....just today I watched guys tug, curse and ohhhh they got them running but man I sure like to just drill...no farting around.

Old 03-08-2021, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin View Post
I have an 8" Jiffy and it has never let me down or given me any issues. My buddy has an 8" Eskimo and it has also never let him down. I'd get whichever one you can get the best deal on.
But honestly... do you actually like using that Eskimo?

I dunno, with the Jiffy's higher ratio gearbox and ripper blades they dont shave their way through, they hog off nice big ice chips and throw them about 15' in every direction. IMO, once a guy gets used to the way a Jiffy cuts everything else just feels underwhelming. I've heard guys argue speed back and forth, all I know is that my late 90's White Lightening, still running the original blades, punches holes faster than my boss's new Z71, it also weighs far less.

Personally my favorite will always be my old Tecumseh Jiffy 30 though, that carb set up and engine is pretty much bomb proof. I just fired one up yesterday that hadnt run in two years, and it started on the second pull. If needed you can fine tune the carb with a swiss army knife right on the lake, the primer system will usually limp you through a trip even if things arent quite perfect, and if worst comes to worst, the carb can be cleaned right on the auger with minimal dismantling.

Last edited by Bushleague; 03-08-2021 at 01:44 PM.
Old 03-08-2021, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
My fishing partner bought hers on Amazon.ca....I use it

You can find them on sale with two battery's if you look around......game changer....just today I watched guys tug, curse and ohhhh they got them running but man I sure like to just drill...no farting around.
aaaaand I also like to cut the hole and reverse the auger to push all the ice chips etc down the hole...usually going up and down a few times clears it out just nicely.