Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-11-2020, 08:09 AM

Default Looking to upgrade my electronics

Looking to upgrade my ice fishing Electronics next year have a ice 55 been very happy with would like a split screen GPS unit been seeing lots of markham's on this site with problems what's your favourite unit for sled ice fishing thanks.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 01-11-2020, 09:18 AM

I wouldnt count Marcum out haha i've seen vexilars break down or have software issues. Hard to compare if we take everything into consideration.
like howmany marcum units sold vs vexilar. If more marcums are being used then ofcourse more are being abused and you would get a higher volume of people saying something went wrong. Just like any other consumer products.

Just an opinion Unless anyone can get me real stats I dont always trust everyones word.

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 01-11-2020, 09:55 AM

Vexilar publishes that less than 1/10th of 1% of units returned for issues in first year.

I am an unabashed Vexilar fan, as I have had to return both Humminbirds and Marcums when essentially new.

But for what you are looking for, the Humminbird Ice Helix 7 is a very nice unit. Very nice.
Old 01-11-2020, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Vexilar publishes that less than 1/10th of 1% of units returned for issues in first year.

I am an unabashed Vexilar fan, as I have had to return both Humminbirds and Marcums when essentially new.

But for what you are looking for, the Humminbird Ice Helix 7 is a very nice unit. Very nice.
Yes I looked at that one yesterday at the fishing hole just have to convince myself a thousand bucks is worth it maybe I can sell my Ice 55 for a couple hundred.

Old 01-11-2020, 10:51 AM

Do you fish open water as well? If so, the Helix units have the added benefit of use in open water as well. I have had 7 different helix units over the years (3 different boats with a couple in each, plus my portable unit) and they have been rock solid. No issues with mine at all.

If you like your Ice 55 and all you want is GPS added, a handheld Garmin etrex is would be a cheaper addition than a thousand dollar flasher. I find I use my etrex on the handlebars of my sled or quad more than the gps on the Helix as it’s easier to mount (cheap $10 handlebar mount) and doesn’t require an external power supply.

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 01-11-2020, 11:15 AM

Use Navionics on you phone if you are just looking for mapping. Much cheaper than buying a unit that can do both. Just before christmas I picked up a Helix 5 and an Ice ducer. I never had a flasher to start. I mainly picked it up because I wanted something that I can use in the winter and the summer on my tinner. It was super cheap and picked up both for under $500. I did have an old PirahanaMax 175 Portable that i was able to reuse the case (w/ battery) so it saved me a bunch of money. I do also use Navionics as well.
Old 01-11-2020, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post
Do you fish open water as well? If so, the Helix units have the added benefit of use in open water as well. I have had 7 different helix units over the years (3 different boats with a couple in each, plus my portable unit) and they have been rock solid. No issues with mine at all.

If you like your Ice 55 and all you want is GPS added, a handheld Garmin etrex is would be a cheaper addition than a thousand dollar flasher. I find I use my etrex on the handlebars of my sled or quad more than the gps on the Helix as it’s easier to mount (cheap $10 handlebar mount) and doesn’t require an external power supply.
Yes I do use a GPS handheld like a bigger screen on my sled though

Old 01-11-2020, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
Yes I do use a GPS handheld like a bigger screen on my sled though

Then the Helix 5 or 7 sounds like your machine.

I bought my Helix 5 PT G2 CHIRP GPS in the fall of 2018. Cabelas had it mistagged as if it was just a Sonar version so I got it for $469 with the entire carry case and battery. I even asked them to double and triple check the price and they said it was right!

I added the XI 1521 ice transducer for another $110 bucks and now I have a portable unit for on the ice and in my sons tinner over the summer. I like the ability to pull my Autochart card out from my big units and use the maps in the portable over the winter.

Old 01-11-2020, 11:27 AM

Whelen if you want it for LKTR on Cold Lake buy a Marcum LX6/7 or 9!!
Old 01-11-2020, 12:39 PM

I’ve used Vexilars and Marcums. Both are great. I own an LX-7 and am happy with it. I honestly feel it’s a Chevy-Dodge-Ford kind of thing. You’ll be happy with whatever upgrade you end up choosing.
Old 01-11-2020, 12:51 PM

Helix 7 is awsome,
LCD screen is a great upgrade from the flasher ice 55
mapping unit is great with gps, SD card slot for Navionics
The chirp and autochart is a cool feauture, although the auto chart only is useful when hole hoping or covering a lot of ground.

Draw backs are battery power. I having been getting 6 to 8 hrs with the stock battery, I have been taking my ice 55 battery as a spare. Many guys have suggested the Dakota Lithium power pack to combat the short battery life.

Its nice to have the hook and fish in view via the blue colour scheme on the outside of the band so you can see the fish moving from outside of the cone to your lure.

I bought the all season model so I could bring it onto the boat.

Also there are good video tutorials on the best way to set up and preserve battery life.
Old 01-11-2020, 01:05 PM

So how well does that work whwn you are at a lake and you have no service? Most of the places I go service is sketchy to none. My navionics chip in my Bird works well but my phone would be a lot lighter than my 7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleafman3 View Post
Use Navionics on you phone if you are just looking for mapping. Much cheaper than buying a unit that can do both. Just before christmas I picked up a Helix 5 and an Ice ducer. I never had a flasher to start. I mainly picked it up because I wanted something that I can use in the winter and the summer on my tinner. It was super cheap and picked up both for under $500. I did have an old PirahanaMax 175 Portable that i was able to reuse the case (w/ battery) so it saved me a bunch of money. I do also use Navionics as well.
Old 01-11-2020, 02:22 PM

phone works great when driving or sledding for quick checks, but when you have bait on your hands and don't want to take your mitts when its cold the phone is a pain.

as I said above the auto chart is something your phone can't do especially for lakes with no map on navionics or poor service.
Old 01-11-2020, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchjig View Post
Draw backs are battery power. I having been getting 6 to 8 hrs with the stock battery, I have been taking my ice 55 battery as a spare. Many guys have suggested the Dakota Lithium power pack to combat the short battery life.

I bought a 10ah Dakota Lithium from Cabelas when they were on sale. Adds a lot of battery life and cut the weight significantly.

Old 01-11-2020, 03:55 PM

They are all battery operated electronic units. Put them into one of the harshest environments in the world. Cold,wet ,vibration, accidental dropping, bangs and bruises . They will all have some type of issue eventually. I have vexilar fl 20 it has been 6 years with no issue I have two humminbirds helix 5. I love the gps bottom mapping in summer then having it in the unit for winter with waypoints marked. But the humminbirds glitch out from time to Time for me. Annoying yes but they always seem toFix them self’s with a hard reset or a software update. Or take them home and dry them and warm them.
Old 01-11-2020, 08:29 PM

Right now, the hotest fish finder is Garmin panoptix livescope system. Just like you have a wireless under water camera. Most users said it is game changer. Lowrance have livesight at middle 2019, but 4 years late, and way lag to Garman. Hummingbird have no live sonar yet. The only problem is because no competitor, the livescope system only cost $2000, and plus head unit.

if you can afford, try it?

Here is the video:

https://youtu.be/HUOJKR-FZHE
Old 01-11-2020, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygringo View Post
So how well does that work whwn you are at a lake and you have no service? Most of the places I go service is sketchy to none. My navionics chip in my Bird works well but my phone would be a lot lighter than my 7.

GPS on phones works without cell service. You just need to download the map you need prior to heading out so it works offline.
Old 01-11-2020, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Yes I looked at that one yesterday at the fishing hole just have to convince myself a thousand bucks is worth it maybe I can sell my Ice 55 for a couple hundred.

If you're going to let that Ice 55 go for a couple hundred bucks, consider it sold. PM me.
Old 01-11-2020, 10:30 PM

Vexilar flx28 and my phone for mapping and im golden
Old 01-11-2020, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
This ^^^^ would be my choice too!
Old 01-11-2020, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
I like your style
Old 01-12-2020, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinglover View Post
Right now, the hotest fish finder is Garmin panoptix livescope system. Just like you have a wireless under water camera. Most users said it is game changer. Lowrance have livesight at middle 2019, but 4 years late, and way lag to Garman. Hummingbird have no live sonar yet. The only problem is because no competitor, the livescope system only cost $2000, and plus head unit.

if you can afford, try it?

Here is the video:

https://youtu.be/HUOJKR-FZHE
Yeah I seen these when Aaron wiebe first got his definitely not what I'm looking for

Old 01-12-2020, 07:52 AM

Quote:

I’ll give ya a couple hundred for that old Humminbird ice 55 , they every bit as good as the new flashers being made today
Old 01-12-2020, 07:53 AM

Won't be this year I'm looking to upgrade over the summer

Old 01-12-2020, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL_JR View Post
GPS on phones works without cell service. You just need to download the map you need prior to heading out so it works offline.
thanks for this... I honestly wasn't sure, and didn't wanna seem like a moron and ask. I really appreciate it.
Old 01-12-2020, 10:23 AM

Cell phones are a tool they are better than drilling holes blind but they actually really suck. The maps for them are way out of date back when a government worker in a tin boat paddled around with a rock on a rope with depth makers on the rope dropping it hear and there recording depth on a hand drawn paper. I could give you hundreds of examples of the inaccuracy. But this is one.
This fish marker on the Navionics iPhone app is the same marker as the two dots on the helix. There is a old Dougout in this spot and it is 21ft deep surrounded by shallow I catch tons of perch in this hole. As you can see Navionics says I am fishing on the shore and so does the Humminbird map but I auto charted this spot over spring in the boat and you can clearly see the dougout outline and the deepest end = fish. Good luck finding that spot on your cellphone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 32323E3D-9BA1-4549-B33D-CAD33CFA19BE.jpg (11.3 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg 56A43388-2A9E-43A4-8898-D955F0BF4EF6.jpg (31.3 KB, 50 views)
Old 01-12-2020, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raw outdoors View Post
Cell phones are a tool they are better than drilling holes blind but they actually really suck. The maps for them are way out of date back when a government worker in a tin boat paddled around with a rock on a rope with depth makers on the rope dropping it hear and there recording depth on a hand drawn paper. I could give you hundreds of examples of the inaccuracy. But this is one.
This fish marker on the Navionics iPhone app is the same marker as the two dots on the helix. There is a old Dougout in this spot and it is 21ft deep surrounded by shallow I catch tons of perch in this hole. As you can see Navionics says I am fishing on the shore and so does the Humminbird map but I auto charted this spot over spring in the boat and you can clearly see the dougout outline and the deepest end = fish. Good luck finding that spot on your cellphone.
I don't think much could beat building your own charts for accuracy if you have time to do so.
To say that the phone maps really suck though just hasn't been my experience so far and I find them pretty handy. I've never had it so bad where it's marking me on shore that's for sure. And if I mark a waypoint to return to the accuracy is really good. Without getting into to much detail not all my maps are through Navionics however I will always mark on Navionics as well so the waypoints are saved to my account.
To each their own, I'm not against the LCD units with GPS at all and happen to have one I just think for ice fishing it's not a real game changer with other options out there for GPS capability. I don't autochart but it is handy to mark spots as you go in the summer, always the option of simultaneously marking it on your phone or as SamSteele mentioned a stand alone GPS. If you prefer the mechanical flashers as some do it's nice to have other options than thinking you have to have a GPS model.
Just out of curiousity how long did it take to build the chart on your fish finder? And sorry 35 whelen if the thread is getting dragged off to far.
Old 01-12-2020, 02:27 PM

Keep the discussion going I'm learning

Old 01-12-2020, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL_JR View Post
Just out of curiousity how long did it take to build the chart on your fish finder? And sorry 35 whelen if the thread is getting dragged off to far.

The fastest I usually chart is 5 -7 mph. You can chart faster than that, but I find that the readings aren’t as accurate. If you are going to the same lake repeatedly you can just chip away at it as you have time. I usually put it on while I am fishing an area and it maps while I fish.

This is an older pic, but it shows the map on the left. The map is set for depth but you can also show bottom hardness or weed lines as well.

Old 01-12-2020, 03:02 PM

Only thing I would use my phone for is GPS so I don't get lost. As far as navigating on the water, it's worse than useless. You need proper chart plotting and even Navionics is pretty ****ty.