Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 09-07-2020, 12:48 PM

Default Broadhead blade sharpening?

For the last 6-7yrs every time I shoot an animal I take that broadhead out of the hunting pack and put it in the target practice pack. I’ve now got plenty of “target practice broadhead and blades. My question is do most guys try and sharpen the blades or just buy replacement blades? I will probably keep buying replacement blades I was more just curious if people use the sharpening tools And if they work well?
Old 09-07-2020, 03:13 PM

I replace the blades, as does most everyone I hunt with. The one guy I know that sharpens, also builds his own arrows. I think it comes down to how hands on you want to be with your gear.
Old 09-07-2020, 04:34 PM

Best thing I ever did in my younger years was learn how to sharpen stuff. I am quite confident I could put an edge on anything that needs an edge. If you invest the time it is not hard to learn, the rewards when I was a young guy were good. For a young guy now I imagine if you can sharpen stuff, well you would be a superhuman. Google how to sharpen, it is easy, I learned well before the internet was a thing. If I could do it, so can you. A broad head that has only been through an animal? Only a minute job, easy peasy. Just takes a willingness to learn.

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-07-2020, 05:04 PM

I use g5 Montecs....they are pretty straight forward to sharpen. I use a Japanese wet stone, then some micro fine sandpaper on a piece of glass to finish them. They are mirror bright and razor sharp. The one I got my black bear with a couple years ago went through the shoulder blade, both lungs and hit offside leg on way out. Broken arrow, but that blade was still pretty sharp. I just sharpened it again, and put it on a fresh carbon stick. I did have one pass through a deer and hit a rock I'm guessing, in the dirt, where the tip was bent a bit. Cleaned it up on a coarse stone and sharpened again, but it has been retired.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 09-07-2020, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Best thing I ever did in my younger years was learn how to sharpen stuff. I am quite confident I could put an edge on anything that needs an edge. If you invest the time it is not hard to learn, the rewards when I was a young guy were good. For a young guy now I imagine if you can sharpen stuff, well you would be a superhuman. Google how to sharpen, it is easy, I learned well before the internet was a thing. If I could do it, so can you. A broad head that has only been through an animal? Only a minute job, easy peasy. Just takes a willingness to learn.

I totally agree... knife, ax, chainsaw, broadhead, saw. What’s the difference ?
Old 09-10-2020, 08:12 PM

Good to know there a bunch of guys willing to sharpen them up and keep going. I’ve personally got 0% confidence in myself when it comes to sharpening anything. That said I recently bought a Japanese made kitchen knife that I know is well made and it’s my goal that by the time it needs sharpening, I’ll be confident enough to do it. For now I’ll keep practicing on my ****ty fish knives.
Old 09-11-2020, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capper View Post
Good to know there a bunch of guys willing to sharpen them up and keep going. I’ve personally got 0% confidence in myself when it comes to sharpening anything. That said I recently bought a Japanese made kitchen knife that I know is well made and it’s my goal that by the time it needs sharpening, I’ll be confident enough to do it. For now I’ll keep practicing on my ****ty fish knives.
That's the way to approach it. I learned to sharpen stuff by practicing on old cheap knives and a wet stone as well. I'm 'semi proficient' I would say. Some steel is easier to sharpen then others. A good combination Japanese water stone is a good investment, and watch some videos and pick up hints from Youtube. Time and patience. It's a good skill to master.

This is a good utility stone for rouging in an finishing an edge>

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop...e?item=60M5003

And if you want to get a mirror finish and hone it super sharp:

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop...n-water-stones

And for wet/dry sandpaper, I like the 3M stuff. Get it as fine as you like, put it on a piece of glass, and you can get some really good edges. I use it to finish my wood chisels, they get scary sharp!

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop...-dry-sandpaper

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 09-11-2020 at 11:02 AM.
Old 09-11-2020, 06:43 PM

This thread inspired me to buy a diamond sharpening stone to sharpen broadheads (G3 Montec) that I have been using as practice heads.

Will report back on how they do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-12-2020, 04:05 AM

I have a few types of broadheads that are stout enough to handle resharpening and they’ve been shot and touched up many time’s. For example all of these have been through animals.

This GK has six animals behind it

If they don’t show any damage I’ll touch up replaceable blades as well. All of these slick tricks are once used and on their second go around.

Old 09-12-2020, 07:38 AM

Fixed blades I sharpen, mechanicals I replace. I have a Spot Hogg Bloody Buddy sharpener that allows me to change the angle of the stone to match that of the broadhead.

LC