Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 04-02-2023, 03:38 PM

Default Youth Archer Muscle Strengthening

My kids are taking a keen liking to archery. My one daughter who is left eye dominant struggles to pull the bow she is using set at 32#. She is very strong serving a volleyball with her right side but left side of body is weak
The I don’t want to adjust bow to any lower poundage as we are almost at minimum now.
What type of exercise should she be doing to strengthen these muscles?
Old 04-02-2023, 03:52 PM

Single arm dumbell rows are a near perfect exercise to strengthen the back muscles for drawing a bow.

Turning the bow down to its minimum and let her draw it properly with repetition is also a good way to let her strengthen the muscles.

Last edited by normanrd; 04-02-2023 at 03:58 PM.
Old 04-02-2023, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normanrd View Post
Single arm dumbell rows are a near perfect exercise to strengthen the back muscles for drawing a bow.

Turning the bow down to its minimum and let her draw it properly with repetition is also a good way to let her strengthen the muscles.
I’ve thought of that. I was just fearful of her having a dry fire when she tires
Old 04-02-2023, 06:25 PM

Have her see a certified strength coach.

Theres a pile of different factors going into this one: you already have noticed asymmetrical weakness. Poor biomechanics also occur from sitting at a desk in school (damn near child abuse in my opinion, now that I know how bad it is for us). Pelvis function is connected to scapula, scapula to shoulder etc. etc. . She may simply need longer to develop. May need diet adjustments. Will absolutely need a proper exercise plan, without it (see: just turning down the bow) she will limp along with self developed muscle compensations until something gives because it’s not working right.

This is a setup for life long pain and injury.
Old 04-02-2023, 07:12 PM

I am a righty shooting left. When I started young I was weak on the left side too.

I did some work with bands and weights at a gym. You can buy a band and mimic pulling a bow with the band. Dry fires don't matter then.

It won't take long and that side will strengthen right up. It's incredible how fast it will build up when young
Old 04-02-2023, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
Have her see a certified strength coach.

Theres a pile of different factors going into this one: you already have noticed asymmetrical weakness. Poor biomechanics also occur from sitting at a desk in school (damn near child abuse in my opinion, now that I know how bad it is for us). Pelvis function is connected to scapula, scapula to shoulder etc. etc. . She may simply need longer to develop. May need diet adjustments. Will absolutely need a proper exercise plan, without it (see: just turning down the bow) she will limp along with self developed muscle compensations until something gives because it’s not working right.

This is a setup for life long pain and injury.
Very good points. Thank you. I have stressed that to her, don’t force yourself to pull it or you will be injured.
Old 04-02-2023, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeride View Post
I am a righty shooting left. When I started young I was weak on the left side too.

I did some work with bands and weights at a gym. You can buy a band and mimic pulling a bow with the band. Dry fires don't matter then.

It won't take long and that side will strengthen right up. It's incredible how fast it will build up when young
Thank you, we will look for a band. At 13 she can smash a volleyball serve like no other right handed. If we can get the left side same way we will be in good shape.
Old 04-02-2023, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBF View Post
Thank you, we will look for a band. At 13 she can smash a volleyball serve like no other right handed. If we can get the left side same way we will be in good shape.
The accubow that is supposed to build muscle is just glorified surgical tubing.

I use a simple resistance band and it really helps early season to get everything back into bow shape
Old 04-03-2023, 12:40 AM

There are many easy exercises using free weights to strengthen back muscles used in archery

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...rchery+workout

I had my son shoot 5-10 arrows per day on his bow in the garage; focusing on forum more than accuracy.

Every once in a while I turned the bow up just a little - eventually muscles were trained and strengthened.
Old 04-03-2023, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer_Hunter View Post
There are many easy exercises using free weights to strengthen back muscles used in archery

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...rchery+workout

I had my son shoot 5-10 arrows per day on his bow in the garage; focusing on forum more than accuracy.

Every once in a while I turned the bow up just a little - eventually muscles were trained and strengthened.
That's what I did with my kids too - set up targets in the garage and get the kids to shoot. The boys had bows that are highly adjustable, so it was easy to update draw lengh and poundage as they grew stronger. My daughter had a 25-lb recurve for a long time just to get used to shooting (she doesn't hunt) but that served her well until she was ready to upgrade.

I like the resistance band idea. Can pick those up anywhere.
Old 04-03-2023, 10:12 AM

Slingshots or anything with a handle and surgical tubing that can be drawn back and held. Seen lots of homemade jobs over the years
Old 04-05-2023, 08:42 PM

Thanks for the pointers guys.
Old 04-05-2023, 09:46 PM

Get her to try shooting right handed. If the bow has a peep sight all should be good. I’m left eye dominant and I can’t hope to pull a bow shooting left.
Old 04-13-2023, 07:57 PM

Update: she’s been very diligent this last week about exercise that side. Was able to do about 30 shots before she started to tire out. Last week she only got 3-4 shots. Now she’s liking it and working at it
Old 04-13-2023, 08:16 PM

That's awesome. Sounds like she is well on her way now.