Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-21-2023, 11:15 AM

Default Ozempic Users

Any users of Ozempic on the board? Doc just got me started though sugars have been OK (not great, just OK). To hear the hype it sounds like magic stuff...almost too good to be real.

Don't want to sprout a third arm as a side effect though might come in handy in the garage.

What have your experiences been?

TIA for all replies.
Zeke
Old 05-21-2023, 12:22 PM

I know 3 people on it. 1 had to stop because had to many side effects. All 3 lost lots of weight which is a nice side effect I guess. Lots of people on it now just for weight loss.
Old 05-21-2023, 12:40 PM

Know two people on it as well for managing their A1C levels and a close buddy who is a bit on the bigger side but isn’t pre-diabetic was just recommended it by his doctor for essentially weight management.

Supposedly it’s all the rage in celebrity culture to the point where there’s a shortage in the LA and other parts of the USA.
Old 05-21-2023, 12:41 PM

I could not tolerate Ozempic, stomach upset and nausea. Tried the Oh you will gets used to it route for 6 months, doses up and down, not good results. Pharma suggested a switch to Saxenda. Works great!
All part of Injectables (two) and Orals.
Old 05-21-2023, 12:47 PM

I tried it at 50 mg then at 25 mg. Both times got acid reflux very bad. Doctor wants me to try again. I don't think so. I know two elderly people on it and for them no problem.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
Old 05-21-2023, 01:12 PM

Currently on .5 and have lost 45lbs so far.
Old 05-21-2023, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilngas View Post
I could not tolerate Ozempic, stomach upset and nausea. Tried the Oh you will gets used to it route for 6 months, doses up and down, not good results. Pharma suggested a switch to Saxenda. Works great!
All part of Injectables (two) and Orals.
Thank you for this post. I could not keep taking due to the same side affects. I will look into Saxenda.

Thanks OP for this topic.
Old 05-21-2023, 03:48 PM

Default Cost?

How much does it cost per month? I hear its not covered by health care. BEL
Old 05-21-2023, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEL View Post
How much does it cost per month? I hear its not covered by health care. BEL
150 plus gst of no health plan per tube

if your doctor tries 3 others drugs like met Forman and so on first and they,fail then alberta blue cross will pay for ozempic

but do not try to circumvent the process
Old 05-21-2023, 05:57 PM

I'm sure it's not as bad as some other drugs they advertise for certain conditions. What gets me is the long list of side effects that could potentially come with taking such drugs. Hope this one has a minimal amount to throw your body outta wack.
Old 05-21-2023, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbless View Post
I'm sure it's not as bad as some other drugs they advertise for certain conditions. What gets me is the long list of side effects that could potentially come with taking such drugs. Hope this one has a minimal amount to throw your body outta wack.
But it brings the promise of weight loss with no dieting, and no exercise, so some people will gladly pay the price and take the risk.
Old 05-21-2023, 08:11 PM

I am on it, it keeps the blood sugars in check, no weight loss from it though
Old 05-21-2023, 08:21 PM

I’ve heard you have to take it for life otherwise the weight comes back. Great as a kickstart but you need to make changes to make it sustainable.

Not to get up on my soapbox but keto/carnivore plus only 1-2 meals a day is the only thing that has worked for me. Lost 140 lbs and have kept it off for over 2 years now. Diet keeps me satiated, all my blood tests have reversed and doc is amazed. Is it hard, yes particularly in social settings, but it’s easier than slowly dying and everything else I’ve tried is not sustainable.
Old 05-21-2023, 10:20 PM

I lost 32 pounds 2 years ago on exercise and diet took me 6 months ,my doc took me off my diabetes pills . His exact words you show no more signs so your good to go. That was my first mistake backing of my pills witch I only took once a week when it went up.

Last fall I got one hell of a flu , it tore me right down .I was in bed for weeks ,Dr ordered some prednisone to reboot my system and bam my sugar level took off.

So 3 months ago I wanted insulin ,he told me the best deal around was Ozempic plus you won't put on weight ,but my weight was only 6 pounds over ,I was sicker then hell on it ,but determine to give it a good go.

One month in I was begging to get of it ,SO tried a slow acting one and I put on weight so fast I thought what the hell. Things are back to almost normal ,but I now have 18 pounds to lose over some crap I never needed . I brought in rope and gave him my neck measurements and told him if you want to kill me get at it there's a hanging tree in the parking lot ,don't torture me .He got very upset ,but I told him your giving stuff out that you know little about ,so I should be angry not you . NO dr likes to be told he is wrong ,but screw him ,it's my body not his .

This Ozempic takes as long to leave as it does to enter maybe much longer .

I seen all these great things thinking it's highly used ,but all I felt like doing was puking and hardly moving .

You couldn't pay me any amount to use this stuff ,you start messing with your digestive systems and all your organs that work with your guts your walking in unknown territory .No one really knows the long term affects.

Proper dieting and with good old fashion exercise is the best. Keep your cardio in shape and avoid this stuff.

It made a mess of my whole system that I now need to work much harder in dropping my weight . It might take months for this crap to totally leave my system .20 pounds isn't a a lot of weight in a guy,but if you have other issues like I have from a bad accident it's like 100 pounds .

I swear these DR are getting kick backs for this ,he had boxes of samples and I trusted him .

I see young women just a bit over weight and an hour per day of good exercise an watch there diet, but now everyone wants the easiest way out these days .

Maybe for others they were fine so do as you please as for new starters BEWARE.
JD

Last edited by JD848; 05-21-2023 at 10:27 PM.
Old 05-22-2023, 07:30 AM

Pro tip 391: drug or no drug, extra calories cannot legally enter your body without your consent. No means no!!!
Old 05-22-2023, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
I lost 32 pounds 2 years ago on exercise and diet took me 6 months ,my doc took me off my diabetes pills . His exact words you show no more signs so your good to go. That was my first mistake backing of my pills witch I only took once a week when it went up.

Last fall I got one hell of a flu , it tore me right down .I was in bed for weeks ,Dr ordered some prednisone to reboot my system and bam my sugar level took off.

So 3 months ago I wanted insulin ,he told me the best deal around was Ozempic plus you won't put on weight ,but my weight was only 6 pounds over ,I was sicker then hell on it ,but determine to give it a good go.

One month in I was begging to get of it ,SO tried a slow acting one and I put on weight so fast I thought what the hell. Things are back to almost normal ,but I now have 18 pounds to lose over some crap I never needed . I brought in rope and gave him my neck measurements and told him if you want to kill me get at it there's a hanging tree in the parking lot ,don't torture me .He got very upset ,but I told him your giving stuff out that you know little about ,so I should be angry not you . NO dr likes to be told he is wrong ,but screw him ,it's my body not his .

I seen all these great things thinking it's highly used ,but all I felt like doing was puking and hardly moving .

You couldn't pay me any amount to use this stuff ,you start messing with your digestive systems and all your organs that work with your guts your walking in unknown territory .No one really knows the long term affects.

Proper dieting and with good old fashion exercise is the best. Keep your cardio in shape and avoid this stuff.

It made a mess of my whole system that I now need to work much harder in dropping my weight . It might take months for this crap to totally leave my system .20 pounds isn't a a lot of weight in a guy,but if you have other issues like I have from a bad accident it's like 100 pounds .

I swear these DR are getting kick backs for this ,he had boxes of samples and I trusted him .

I see young women just a bit over weight and an hour per day of good exercise an watch there diet, but now everyone wants the easiest way out these days .

JD

I was gonna go on a rampage here as I’m 51 and from the age of 19 I’ve been in the gym. You hit the nail on the head here. Bravo…

Last edited by 1899b; 05-22-2023 at 07:46 AM.
Old 05-22-2023, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
I was gonna go on a rampage here as I’m 51 and from the age of 19 I’ve been in the gym. You hit the nail on the head here. Bravo…
I am with you 100%, but in today's society, some people are always looking for the easy way to do things, and taking a drug requires far less effort than watching your diet and exercising. We have both seen hundreds of people show up at the gym, buy a membership, and then quit after a few weeks, because it took more effort than they planned, and the results weren't immediate.
Old 05-22-2023, 08:43 AM

Every man should be in the gym almost everyday. You should lift heavy, do cardio, take hot saunas, cold showers and think about what you eat.

Accept nothing less.
Old 05-22-2023, 09:38 AM

Quote:

JD
This is my SIL's experience....nasty stuff to cause what she is going through.
Old 05-23-2023, 08:23 AM

[QUOTE=elkhunter11;4637137]I am with you 100%, but in today's society, some people are always looking for the easy way to do things, and taking a drug requires far less effort than watching your diet and exercising. We have both seen hundreds of people show up at the gym, buy a membership, and then quit after a few weeks, because it took more effort than they planned, and the results weren't immediate.[/QUOTE

Agreed. The principals to keep ones self in check are very simple. Its not easy for some however. People allow their lifestyles to sometimes trump healthy eating and activity levels.

Food can either be our worst poison or our best medicine. Only we can control that and i absolutely sympathize with those that are struggling. Good luck to you all...

Last edited by 1899b; 05-23-2023 at 08:30 AM.
Old 05-23-2023, 09:23 AM

There are some bigger guys on our team on it and they all lost a lot of weight. One dude told me if you eat food that is high in fat you will feel sick. Eat clean and the nausea goes away. Kind of like the meds for alcoholic that make them sick when they drink but as a side effect.
Old 05-23-2023, 10:44 AM

Quote:

JD
It's no secret Drs get kickbacks for dishing out meds. No secret at all.

High protein diet, even the carnivore diet and exercise - that's the ticket.
Old 05-23-2023, 11:29 AM

Lots of generalizations in this thread - and what does work for some does not work for others. It is often not as cut and dry as people think...

Keto can work wonders, as does diet and obviously exercise. Caloric restriction will fix the weight issue too. But none of this will "cure" diabetes. It is not that simple.

Keto is tough to maintain, and the long term success rates are not high. Speak to a dietician and they can explain the biological reasons behind this. The minute you stop Keto - the weight that you lost returns almost as rapidly as it left.

Diet and exercise are easy to say - but obviously tougher to put into practice and even tougher to maintain for many. Its an unfortunate reality but I don't think I am telling stories that people don't understand. If it was easy - we wouldn't have the problems that we see in society. I will qualify that statement: its tough - but not impossible for anyone. Radical life changes may be necessary if your previous life led you to a place that you don't want to be in. As an analogy: The path in was all downhill, and the path out is all uphill. But you are not lost by any means. Just have to keep climbing...

Once the damage is done and you are a full diabetic - you may be on some sort of medication for your whole life. Not to say that losing weight isn't a part of a healthy change to make - but it does not cure diabetes for everyone. Many people fail to realize this.

Ozempic is not a cure all - but it does work well for many people. Weight loss, appetite suppression, cravings reduced, etc. One piece of a puzzle to help a person get healthier. Its also relatively new and does not have any long term studies to accompany it. So there are risks to evaluate. There are risks associated with not treating diabetes as well - so be sure you are evaluating risk with all of the information available.

My experience with it have thus far been positive. Lost 25 pounds rapidly, and I feel it controls my sugars very well. A1C is now 5.6, and I feel that is a combination of the drugs as well as diet and exercise. I cannot eat as much as I used to without feeling sick - so that's a bonus. I am now backing off of other meds that I was taking and still have sugars in check.
Old 05-23-2023, 12:06 PM

Now the cost is 250 I guess without insurance
Old 05-23-2023, 09:07 PM

Yes, it runs about $250 for one pen. Thankfully my insurance covers most of it.
Old 05-25-2023, 05:42 AM

Ive been on it for just about 6 months and around 2 months at 1ml. My sugar has smartened right up. No noticable weight loss according to the scale and my insulin dose hasnt changed and im not getting any lows so thats a bit odd...lol. My appettite is vastly decreased tho and much smaller portions but im settling in to the fact that i could well be naseaus indefinatly. Good luck if you try it sir
Old 05-25-2023, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandSlam View Post
Yes, it runs about $250 for one pen. Thankfully my insurance covers most of it.
How long is one pen good for? Trying to get an idea how much per month.
Old 05-25-2023, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat336 View Post
How long is one pen good for? Trying to get an idea how much per month.

Usually a month.
Old 05-26-2023, 06:01 AM

So its an injection?
Old 05-26-2023, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox View Post
So its an injection?
Yup, subcutaneously....