Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-26-2023, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Visiting family in the lower mainland my kids would play count the homeless camps

The lower mainland keeps getting worse. Not all are even junkies that are homeless addicts. There is a truck stop in Abbotsford that has working people that live in trailers/campers that can’t afford to rent or buy.
My daughter & I went to the mother in-laws for mothers day to say hi and drop off a gift. She lives north of Commonwealth Stadium. We mostly go up 95th st to get there from our hood. Showed my daughter all the tents by the LRT. On the way back we toured by the downtown cop station as the last time I was there(Heading out hunting in Nov and I found a wallet on the road and turned it in), there were tent cities all over beside the cop & fire station. Now they were moved over to a couple park spaces a block or so away.

So downtown has lots of tent cities, our river valleys have lots of tent cities and every hood seems to have their resident homeless persons wandering around bottle picking etc. The ravine behind my parents house where I grew up apparently has one dude making his home out of a tent there now. How long before one turns into many.

Edmonton is fast becoming a place to count the homeless camps too. The city and mayors talk tough but do nothing really. I'm guessing a lot in these camps chose that lifestyle. But having lived in this hood for 30 yrs and grew up in the hood 5 mins away. We never seen this kind of homeless numbers in the past. Big cities or small towns, the homeless/drug issue is everywhere now. How do we ever put that genie back in the bottle.