Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-09-2019, 12:45 PM

Post University of Alberta Hunting and Chronic Wasting Disease Study Participants Needed!

Hi Everyone,

Hope you all had a great hunting season!

We are a team of researchers from the University of Alberta working on a study of Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) and hunting. We are looking for hunter participants for a study. The study is about hunting trips and the management of CWD. Participants will be invited to go to the University of Alberta main campus to do a “hunting decision making” task on computers, followed by a presentation about our CWD research and discussion about hunting and CWD. The study will be held in the evenings in the middle January 2020 and will last for around 1 hour and 30 minutes. Participants will be paid $35 for attending and may earn more from the outcomes of the study (up to an additional $35). We will also cover parking costs for those who drive to campus. Please send an email to uofacwdsurvey@ualberta.ca if you have questions or are interested in joining the study. Thank you for your interest!

Sincerely,
Department of Resource Economics and Environmental Sociology Research Team
University of Alberta
Old 12-09-2019, 02:04 PM

Default University of Alberta Hunting and Chronic Wasting Disease Study Participants Needed!

Is there any way for your data to be gathered online rather than through in-person attendance at the UofA?

I suspect that results will show a strong geographical bias by requiring in person attendance.

I will pass on your email contact to a couple of friends in Belgravia community.

Good luck in your study. I sincerely hope that it sheds a light on the work of hunters as a positive force for conservation in Alberta.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-09-2019, 08:16 PM

Why do I get the feeling that this study will come out not in favour of hunters?
Old 12-09-2019, 08:24 PM

Are there specific zones of hunting you are looking for information from?
Old 12-09-2019, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Why do I get the feeling that this study will come out not in favour of hunters?
I’m a little worried about the same
Old 12-09-2019, 10:13 PM
Banned

Translation!

“Hope you all had a great hunting season!” - Hope you’ll choke on the flesh!

“hunting decision making” - decision made already: no more hunting for you!

“discussion about hunting and CWD” - we’ll pretend to listen to you.

“The study will be held in the evenings in the middle January 2020 and will last for around 1 hour and 30 minutes. Participants will be paid $35 for attending and may earn more from the outcomes of the study (up to an additional $35).” - we invite all the animal rights advocates to attend, as this is a rare opportunity to an easy buck! The $ kind of buck.
Old 12-09-2019, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Ya, spidey senses are tingling just looking at the department name...
Some clarity would be nice.
Old 12-10-2019, 07:17 AM

I was skeptical at first but then I got thinking, what do we have to hide?

Any anti-hunting group already had their preconceived notions of all the bad things that go on during a hunt.

This could be an eye opener to teach these people how most hunters do care about the animals and ecosystems. Also might give them an idea of how many of us follow the rules.

I'm still split and I do agree that more people would do the survey if it was online.
Old 12-10-2019, 07:48 AM

Default Fat chance

All the U of A land near where I live is POSTED. No hunting access. Why would any hunters be willing to help them out. Figure it out yourselves.
Old 12-10-2019, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBintheNorth View Post
My thoughts exactly! Considering the majority of the political feel on campus is strongly Liberal I would stay clear of this event.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 12-10-2019, 07:58 AM

You will likely get more results if you post what the plan is for the data collected by this study?

What hypothesis is this study based on?

Clearly hunters are not overly trusting because of the history of people trying to push a agenda by manipulating studies to collect data in a manner to support to support their end goal
Old 12-10-2019, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBintheNorth View Post
Agreed. The minute I see no actual name of study lead included I start to wonder.

First post - no profile I can see.

Maybe legit but in this day and age...
Old 12-10-2019, 08:06 AM

I'm not convinced that there is any "unbiased" research coming from U of A, ever. I'll pass thank you.

Craig

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
Old 12-10-2019, 08:10 AM

I remember my 4th grade teacher telling the class there was no such thing as an unbiased survey. No one ever commissions a survey unless they have some sort of goal in mind, hence the need for the survey in the first place.

Old 12-10-2019, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
I remember my 4th grade teacher telling the class there was no such thing as an unbiased survey. No one ever commissions a survey unless they have some sort of goal in mind, hence the need for the survey in the first place.
You got it every study starts with a hypothesis/theory that someone is trying to prove true or false
Old 12-10-2019, 08:37 AM

Quote:
X1000

I wouldn’t trust this University as far as I could throw it. Sorry.

-Billy Molls
Old 12-10-2019, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
X1000

I wouldn’t trust this University as far as I could throw it. Sorry.
The one that conferred an honorary degree on St. Suzuki...just saying.
Old 12-10-2019, 08:45 AM

As mentioned in an earlier post, judging from the department I dont see it as supportive to sport hunting. If it was Environmental Studies or Medicine maybe consider it. Otherwise I smell a rat
Old 12-10-2019, 10:43 AM
Banned

How can we blame hunters for climate change? Find out for $35.
Old 12-11-2019, 01:58 PM

Thanks for all of your comments. The study is being led by Dr. Vic Adamowicz, Professor in the Department of Resource Economics and Environmental Sociology, Faculty of Agricultural, Life and Environmental Sciences at the University of Alberta. It is funded by the Alberta Prion Research Institute. We want hunter views and opinions about CWD management. We have been conducting online survey responses (thank you to those who have responded over the past couple of years). But the approach we are trying now requires the use of a computer facility at the University and that's why it needs to be done in person and not online. As was said in the first post, if this interests you, please contact us. Thanks.
Old 12-11-2019, 02:30 PM

I dont need no fancy pants professor at some big city school tellin me about deer.
Old 12-11-2019, 02:36 PM

Not sure all the tin foil hats are required.

Hunters didn't initiate the CWD problem...that lies solely on the governments of AB and Sask for allowing the extremely poor decision to allow deer and elk farming in the first place. They were warned by many that disease outbreaks would be the result. And now here we are with something we can't stop.

Hunters can help by not transporting infected animal parts all over the province.
Study is probably looking at your desire to hunt in CWD hot zones and where you are willing to travel from (and take meat back to). That has to do with moving prions around and helps in the consideration of risk.
For me, I am not interested in harvesting any animals in a CWD hot zone. The lack of knowledge regarding prions is enough to keep me away.
Old 12-11-2019, 04:09 PM

How hopeless to confront anti intellectuals. Wish people that hated science would stop using all the good parts of it instead of just trashing the parts that don't agree with their politics.

Last edited by Peebles; 12-11-2019 at 04:16 PM.
Old 12-11-2019, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peebles View Post
How hopeless to confront anti intellectuals. Wish people that hated science would stop using all the good parts of it instead of just trashing the parts that don't agree with their politics.
I couldn't agree more. All these commentators like to enjoy the advances we have had as a result of the applications of science. In this case, apparently due to their politics, they are unwilling to participate and share their opinions.
Old 12-11-2019, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peebles View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk270 View Post
I couldn't agree more. All these commentators like to enjoy the advances we have had as a result of the applications of science. In this case, apparently due to their politics, they are unwilling to participate and share their opinions.
Agreed!!

U of A is a top notch university which my daughter attended for her Engineering Degree. She chose it over U of Toronto and UBC because of what it had to offer.....and with her 98.6% average coming out of high school, she had her choice.
Old 12-12-2019, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineguy View Post
Agreed!!

U of A is a top notch university which my daughter attended for her Engineering Degree. She chose it over U of Toronto and UBC because of what it had to offer.....and with her 98.6% average coming out of high school, she had her choice.
How long ago was that? I'm affiliated with the U of A so I have some idea of its inner workings. Staff are jumping ship like its the Titanic, they are hurting for money so bad their biggest income is the parking tickets. Millions of dollars are wasted for studies that prove nothing but written off as a learning experience because the tax payers are footing the bill. Even much of the so called safety programs are dumbed down so the student has the best chance of passing. The on campus WHIMIS is about half of what you get elsewhere. Most of the students are not even Canadian. There is speculation that this is because the U of A makes more money from a foreign student through additional grants from the Canadian Government than from a Canadian student. My understanding is the Engineering department is barely staying afloat because of all the disagreements, backstabbing and general turmoil.

The biggest thing I have noticed is information is only released if it can profit the University. If it could discredit another study or hurt of sponsor its pushed under the rug. Im willing to bet there is someone looking to fund this research, someone like "Beyond Meat" looking to push their own agendas.

Old 12-12-2019, 03:11 PM

Funding:
It is funded by the Alberta Prion Research Institute.

There are teams at the U of A and the U of C trying to learn the details of how these prions replicate and are transmitted.
Other folks are probably interested in plans for limiting the spread across all of western Canada.
Those sound like awful things to try and learn about....

http://www.prioninstitute.ca/
Old 12-12-2019, 05:27 PM

Having worked at the University I know both the Prion Institute and the lead researcher Dr. Vic Adamowicz. The Institute was established specifically for research into prion related diseases and try to get ahead issues like the CWD problem with deer. Vic is a good guy and reasonable to deal with. To me this is something that can help out with what is turning into a very serious problem with the deer herds in Alberta.

We can all continue to focus on the mistakes of the past (game farms) or recognize that those things happened and what do we do for the future. For those that were not at the Wainwright hunt there was a large bulletin board with points on CWD and the use of hunting as a method of control.

I have volunteered to participate and if selected to participate will advise back
Old 12-12-2019, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
How long ago was that? I'm affiliated with the U of A so I have some idea of its inner workings. Staff are jumping ship like its the Titanic, they are hurting for money so bad their biggest income is the parking tickets. Millions of dollars are wasted for studies that prove nothing but written off as a learning experience because the tax payers are footing the bill. Even much of the so called safety programs are dumbed down so the student has the best chance of passing. The on campus WHIMIS is about half of what you get elsewhere. Most of the students are not even Canadian. There is speculation that this is because the U of A makes more money from a foreign student through additional grants from the Canadian Government than from a Canadian student. My understanding is the Engineering department is barely staying afloat because of all the disagreements, backstabbing and general turmoil.

The biggest thing I have noticed is information is only released if it can profit the University. If it could discredit another study or hurt of sponsor its pushed under the rug. Im willing to bet there is someone looking to fund this research, someone like "Beyond Meat" looking to push their own agendas.

She graduated in 2017....so just 2 1/2 years ago!! Top of her class as well.
As for the make up of the student population.....take a trip to UBC or U of T.......makes U of A look like Caroline when Terry Long was there!!

Possibly a tiny bit of due diligence on this topic would be in order!!
Old 12-12-2019, 09:08 PM

As a hunter and caretaker of Wildlife,
Get rid of Deer and Elk farms!

This business imported CWD, as was warned....

This business should not be given the chance to introduce another disease or genetic pollution to our wildlife.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."

Tags
cwd, hunting, study