Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-19-2022, 10:53 AM

Default Marten hunting

Hello friends!
I am a beginner hunter and I like to walk through the forest with my dogs and look for pine martens. This winter, I decided to film my trips to the forest with dogs and make short films about it. Perhaps you also have films about the marten and I propose to share them in this thread

https://youtu.be/yOCIykl29b4
Old 01-19-2022, 10:55 AM

This time I wanted to shoot a marten jumping on the branches, but I got tangled in the bushes and could not keep up with the dogs. As a result, the marten deceived the dogs and jumped into the rubble from the trees. One dog did not see this moment, and the other tried to catch up with her, but could not and lost among the fallen trees. I did not distance myself at all, because the marten remained to live in the forest and we still had the opportunity to find it again another day.

https://youtu.be/mTyTR6UCRF4
Old 01-19-2022, 10:56 AM

The marten is nocturnal and often walks through the forest at dusk in the evening and morning. Therefore, marten can be hunted by sitting by the fire and waiting for the dogs to find the marten and drive it up a tree. After the marten is driven up the tree, the dogs will bark at it and call the hunter for help in catching the pine marten. In this video, I tried to show how such a hunt takes place in the early morning, an hour before sunrise.

https://youtu.be/7vNutYi_3v0
Old 01-19-2022, 12:03 PM

On the road in front of my house, east of Sundre would you believe ?

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 01-19-2022, 01:20 PM

That’s pretty cool videos comrade, but I noticed that you are carrying the shotgun. Don’t you put too many holes in the pelt with a shotty? Why don’t you use the .22LR?
What are you doing with pelts?
Old 01-19-2022, 01:31 PM
Banned

Sure am glad that I only allowed 20 min of my day to be "lost" watching this U tube production ..
Old 01-19-2022, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pine_marten View Post
Hello friends!
I am a beginner hunter and I like to walk through the forest with my dogs and look for pine martens. This winter, I decided to film my trips to the forest with dogs and make short films about it. Perhaps you also have films about the marten and I propose to share them in this thread

https://youtu.be/yOCIykl29b4
Welcome to the forum!
If this is in Alberta I hope you have a trappers license .
Cat
Old 01-19-2022, 02:27 PM

^ That’s what I thought when I read the posts.
Old 01-19-2022, 02:30 PM

You guys beat me to it, I was pretty sure you can't legally shoot a Martin, trapping only
Old 01-19-2022, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moniaw24 View Post
You guys beat me to it, I was pretty sure you can't legally shoot a Martin, trapping only
Trappers can shoot fur bearers, but it makes no real economic sense.

And you still need a traplline to shoot quota species.

Looks like the OP is Russian trying to get traffic to his page
Old 01-19-2022, 02:39 PM

Default Shooting pine martens

Gotta ask why
Old 01-19-2022, 03:32 PM

A lot of work for a marten but a good work out for you and your dogs!

I would say he’s not from Alberta considering he has moose hunting videos using dogs and it’s in another language.
Old 01-19-2022, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moniaw24 View Post
I thought he was talking camera. The only way you can legally shoot one.

Grizz

Old 01-19-2022, 06:03 PM

He is Russian, he speaks Russian. It is unclear where the hunt happened. He doesn’t mention that in his videos.
Old 01-19-2022, 10:06 PM

Don’t need a registered trapline to trap marten in Alberta. But need a trapping license.
Old 01-19-2022, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearski View Post
Gotta ask why
Martin has a very valuable fur, in Russia they make winter coats, winter hats and collars out of it. The hunters used to shoot it in the eye to preserve the fur, only few really good hunters were good at getting martens… My grandma was born in Siberia, I remember her telling me that.
Old 01-20-2022, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
Martin has a very valuable fur, in Russia they make winter coats, winter hats and collars out of it. The hunters used to shoot it in the eye to preserve the fur, only few really good hunters were good at getting martens… My grandma was born in Siberia, I remember her telling me that.
Ahh, I knew about the value of the fur, was wondering why shoot and not trap. If you can shoot in the eye I guess that works too!
Old 01-20-2022, 09:03 AM

Quote:
He is Russian, he speaks Russian. It is unclear where the hunt happened. He doesn’t mention that in his videos.
Anybody who calls me comrade makes me suspicious.

Grizz

Old 01-20-2022, 09:51 AM

Default marten

I believe it is Illegal to shoot/hunt marten in ALL provinces of Canada. You require a Trapping License period. Marten have very low fat reserves and do not like idea of dogs chasing them in the winter. Also females will start having litters soon, leaving young ones to die. I believe F &W will charge you for harassing wildlife with dogs.
Old 01-20-2022, 10:17 AM

Hi guys! I am very glad that you liked my films about pine martens. The dogs do no harm to martens, they only find them and bark to let me know. Hearing barking, I go in that direction and find a marten. The marten carries embryos for half a year and the barking of dogs does not lead to miscarriages or the death of her litter. The birth of small martens occurs much later in the spring. In order not to spoil the skin, it is necessary to shoot in the eye and head when the body is hidden by a thick branch and for this you can use a shotgun. Hunting with a dog is a lot of fun and much better than a stupid kill with a trap for a few dollars a pelt. The marten is not afraid of dogs and often teases them by jumping on branches at a low height, but the marten is afraid of humans, especially female martens. The female marten immediately tries to escape along the branches and then jumps to the ground to escape in the rubble of trees. The male often sits and looks down, fearing neither the dog nor the hunter unless he is disturbed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYmgUhsmfW4
Old 01-20-2022, 10:24 AM

If a marten falls into a trap, then she has no chance of staying alive. When I hunt with a dog, I often release martens alive to find them again another time. It's like letting go of a fish after you've hooked it. Listening to how marten dogs bark, they often yawn and can doze off right on the branches.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg зевающая куниц .jpg (26.4 KB, 72 views)
Old 01-20-2022, 10:30 AM

Aaaaaannnnnd then "pine marten" craps on legit trappers by imposing his so called ethics on us.....

That didnt take long.....
Old 01-20-2022, 10:30 AM

There are many of us on this forum that are very educated as far as fur bearing animal behavior, there have been quite a few here that are or were trappers and have targeted Pine Martens as well as others.
The comments about the dogs were made because it is illegal in Canada to pursue any kind of animal with dogs except for certain species and in certain Provinces.
I am not sure why you think traps are stupid but that belief is not held in very high esteem here, trapping is a Canadian institution and tradition and trappers especially are generally highly respected, especially on this website.
I enjoy hunting with dogs but would never even consider targeting something like Pine Marten with them as it takes a lot more time than other methods .
Cat
Old 01-20-2022, 10:34 AM

This time we found the marten in the roots of a rotten tree and she ran away from us along thin branches, right above the noses of the dogs, which provoked them very much and they wanted to catch her, but of course they could not do it, since the marten hundreds of times more agile than any dog. And do not forget that she is a predator and even catches a squirrel on the branches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQn-rshMIr4
Old 01-20-2022, 10:38 AM

I respect trappers, but only if trappers respect hunters with dogs. Otherwise, respect will not be mutual. It seems to me that this is fair. Hunting with dogs is also a tradition and no less ancient than trappering.
Old 01-20-2022, 10:49 AM

Your dogs ever stretch one out?
Old 01-20-2022, 10:51 AM

No, never stretched
Old 01-20-2022, 11:39 AM

Where are you located?
Old 01-20-2022, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Where are you located?
Omg thats the funniest post EVER......
Old 01-20-2022, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
Anybody who calls me comrade makes me suspicious.

Grizz
Do not vori comrade, u r in my goot books….

Tags
dogs, hunting, marten