Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-24-2022, 10:36 AM

So AEP has screwed Alberta residents and are ignoring the AFGA and residents hoping it will go away.

Typical.
Old 06-24-2022, 10:37 AM

^^^ what a circus....
Old 06-24-2022, 10:58 AM
Banned

Good work on this kyle
Old 06-24-2022, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
Good work on this kyle
Thanks, but what is it going to do?
How do we hold AEP and the Ministers Accountable?
What will be done?

Here is the email that I sent on June 22, 2022 to the AEP Minister, AEP AB Wildlife, Matt Besko and Travis Ripley

Big surprise that I have not gotten a respons.

Hello,

I am following up on an email that I received from Matt Besko on April 29, 2022.
In that email, Matt said that:

"the Alberta Fish and Game Association agreed to run a raffle for Moose, Pronghorn, and Turkey. The tags for Moose and Pronghorn are eligible for use in the fall of 2022, and Turkey will be eligible for May of 2023."

I have recently spoken to AFGA and asked when these raffle tickets would be available. They advised me that despite multiple attempts, AFGA has been unable to get the conditions of the MSL licenses from AEP. AFGA requires the conditions of the MSL from AEP so they can present them to AGLC to pull a license and raffle these tickets off.

My questions are as follows:

Why are the MSL raffle for the Antelope, Moose, and Turkey not ready yet
Why has AEP failed to give the conditions around the MSL special license to AFGA
Can I be presented with the governing documents around the MSL licenses and the rules for them
How is AEP allowed to auction off MSL license to potential nonresident buyers but not have a raffle for Alberta residents
Why does AEP favor nonresident hunting opportunities over that of resident hunting opportunities
I would appreciate the requested documentation and answers to the above questions.
I feel that the Alberta residents deserve answers.

Regards,
Old 06-24-2022, 11:43 AM
Banned

Too bad we couldn't get the media involved somehow.
Old 06-24-2022, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntingAlberta View Post
Makes no sense how aep can give the rules to apos but not to afga for the same licenses...

Not true.

An auction is simply a sale of an asset to the highest bidder - no AGLC involvement required.

A raffle is considered a game of chance = gambling, which requires an AGLC license if it collects $20,000 or more.

Each individual AGLC raffle license (by specie) requires it own, specific rules to be supplied to AGLC for approval. Since we are dealing with three new species for which an AGLC license has never been issued, and since AEP sets the rules, AEP must supply those rules to AFGA so they can submit the AGLC application.

AEP considers all the funds raised, either by raffle or by auction, to be public money and specifies how it can be spent.

Vic
Old 06-24-2022, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
what a circus....
The older I get and see how Alberta (Canada) "manages" wildlife and hunting compared to other countries, a circus is expected
Old 06-24-2022, 03:22 PM
Banned

It’s terrible to say this
But maybe someone should call the ndp and get them to press for answers
I’m sure they would be more than willing to roast the ucp on this subject
Old 06-24-2022, 04:13 PM

Quote:
It’s terrible to say this
But maybe someone should call the ndp and get them to press for answers
I’m sure they would be more than willing to roast the ucp on this subject
It's too bad but I rather doubt it. Shannon Phillips et al despise hunters.
Old 06-24-2022, 04:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Blake View Post
It's too bad but I rather doubt it. Shannon Phillips et al despise hunters.
Very true
Old 06-24-2022, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Very true
Hopefully the ACA, AFGA, AHEIA etc. will put some pressure on the new Minister and the old Minister to get some action happening. Not sure if they would though.
Old 06-29-2022, 04:14 PM

Looks like someone made it happen. Bought mine today.
Old 06-29-2022, 04:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 View Post
The moose antelope or turkey?
Old 06-29-2022, 05:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 View Post
There's nothing on the website
Old 06-29-2022, 05:56 PM

On AFGA website
Old 06-29-2022, 06:16 PM

All I see is the sheep, elk and mule deer on the fish and game website. Same as before
Old 06-30-2022, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody j View Post
All I see is the sheep, elk and mule deer on the fish and game website. Same as before
Me too

I have now sent even more emails and still no answers.

AEP has not addressed my request for the rules or legislation around the MSL licenses.

I want to read it very carefully as I believe they are legally not allowed to auction off MSL licenses with out having a raffle.

Still no answer as to why they haven't got AFGA the conditions of the licenses so AFGA can pull a lottery license from AGLC either
Old 06-30-2022, 08:01 AM

Kyle,

Appreciate you staying on this. Seems like another debacle from Government, more back room dealing.

I really liked Nixon when he first started in the AEP file.. unfortunately like almost all politicians became all talk and little action in the end.

Keep us posted on what you hear (or do not hear, ha).

DR
Old 06-30-2022, 11:27 AM

Thankfully Nixon is out. We need to get a bigger voice for the next one who is put in to go back to science based conservation. The only model that works.

The fact that many of the rules, seasons, regulations, etc have not changed in 30 years shows that this file is a joke to all that look at it. Just another excuse to increase some tax revenue.
Old 06-30-2022, 04:59 PM
Banned

I was right about who bought all the auctions
😬🤷*♂️
Old 07-01-2022, 03:03 PM

I am going to try and engage and apply some pressure to my MLA

The issues is complex and I am sure he knows little about it; so I am struggling a little to reduce this to a few talking points that summarize the main problem.

So what are the essential talking points to bring up
Old 07-03-2022, 11:12 AM

Just a reminder that now apos and aep have proven that the residents can be run over, now they're coming after residents cougar opportunities, among others.

Sure a shame that Alberta residents are bottom of the barrel scum according to aep.
Old 07-03-2022, 01:48 PM
Banned

AEP should be accountable for not getting the rules and regs for these permits completed in a timely manner
It makes no sense why it couldnt be done
The thing that I really want to know is what the official rules and regulations are for the turkey moose and antelope permits
I would hope that they havent changed from what they were before the auction.
If they have, someone has a lot of explaining to do

To me, some of the recommendations that were proposed make sense
Make the tag for 365 days
Open it up to any zone that has a hunting season in alberta
If there is a weapons restriction for that wmu than you should have to follow it
Such as 410 248 etc
But if there is a rifle season at any point then you should be able to use one
It doesnt need to be as complicated as they make it
Do them all this way too
Old 07-03-2022, 08:36 PM

Would be interesting to know if apos knew those rules prior to one of their own buying all three permits but not releasing those rules to everyone else.
Old 07-03-2022, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleSS View Post
Me too

I have now sent even more emails and still no answers.

AEP has not addressed my request for the rules or legislation around the MSL licenses.

I want to read it very carefully as I believe they are legally not allowed to auction off MSL licenses with out having a raffle.

Still no answer as to why they haven't got AFGA the conditions of the licenses so AFGA can pull a lottery license from AGLC either
Thanks for your work on this, Kyle!

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 07-04-2022, 09:16 PM

What a mess. Hopefully something gets sorted out. Always love when us Sask guys think Alberta has there wildlife management figured out.
Old 07-05-2022, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
Thanks for your work on this, Kyle!
Still trying to get answers. My last emails have gone with no response from them and my official case has been closed. Will be sending ANOTHER email today and will be CC'ing a ton of people to try and get some traction.
Old 07-06-2022, 04:43 PM

They really don't want to answer any of my questions.

My email:

Dear Honourable Minister,

I am writing you again today as my previous questions have gone unanswered. I am going to very blunt and to the point so there is no confusion.

I require an answer to each of the following questions.

Please provide me with the legalities, rules and stipulations around each of the Minister Special Licenses (Moose, Antelope, Turkey)
Please provide me with the over arching rules, regulations, and laws that govern the Minister Special Licenses in regards to the auction licenses and the raffle licenses
Why did AEP not give Alberta Fish and Game Association the conditions around the Moose, Turkey, and Antelope licenses upon their requests?
Is it legal for AEP to provide APOS with a Moose, Antelope, and Turkey Minister Special License to auction off for a Non Resident or Resident to purchase without providing a Minister Special License of each to be raffled off for Alberta Residents?
Why is AEP working so closely with APOS but not willing to work with AFGA?
Why are the Moose, Antelope, and Turkey Minister Special Licenses not available for Alberta Resident raffle?
I look forward to a response.

Regards,

Their response: (Take note of 2 D)

Thank you for your email regarding the Minister Special Licenses for Moose, Antelope and Turkey. The Honourable Whitney Issik, Minister of Environment and Parks, forwarded your comments to the program area for response. I welcome the opportunity to provide the following information.

1. The legal mechanism for the Minister of Alberta Environment and Parks to set regulations and allocate licenses is as per the Wildlife Act of Alberta, Part 3, Sections 12-20. https://www.qp.alberta.ca/1266.cfm?p...=9780779820467 . The rules and conditions are currently being reviewed and will be made publicly available once finalised.

2. The over-arching laws and regulations with respect to licenses are as per the Wildlife Act of Alberta, as above. The contract for their marketing are still in development, but the basic policy principles are that :

a. The funds received by the agency responsible for marketing and auctioning/raffling the license opportunities are to be managed to disburse to conservation-related projects, as indicated to you in our last response.

b. The licenses are non-transferable.

c. The timing and place of auction/raffle is up to the agency holding the contract for marketing the licenses.

d. Licenses will be made available for elk, mule deer, Bighorn sheep, pronghorn, moose and turkey: 1 each for auction and 1 each for raffle.

e. Only qualified residents of Alberta (able to legally hunt as per current regulations) are able to obtain raffle-licenses.

f. Once the current additions to the existing licenses are finalized as per conditions and rationalized as to the timing of the marketing, the licenses offered in future years will be consistently applied. Developing the conditions is a complex process involving a legal review, and takes time to complete.

3. The development of conditions, as above, takes a considerable amount of time to provide, and is pending review.

4. As per the Wildlife Act, Part 3, Sections 12-20, the Minister may allocate and set conditions for the disbursement of licenses, and is not constrained as per your example.

5. As stated in our previous correspondence, the timing of the Midwest Deer and Elk show necessitated a prompt decision with respect to the agency best able to market the licenses, and APOS was identified as that agency. We are in the process of developing a request-for-proposal for the raffle marketing.

6. As stated beforehand, the availability of licenses is dependent on the development of conditions as well as the time available to raffle appropriate licenses. The auctions for these licenses do not require the level of marketing that the raffle licenses do, and the raffle licenses are subject to the review of Provincial gaming authorities.

Sincerely,

Alberta Environment and Parks
Old 07-06-2022, 05:04 PM
Banned

So they didn’t say anything really
Old 07-06-2022, 06:35 PM

So getting an American auction required immediate attention, but Alberta residents can't get an answer in 6 months?

What a shame that these people rule our wildlife and decision making.