Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-10-2022, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Sadly there are tent camps for druggies in small towns in BC. In Parksville they camp under the bridge on the south side of town.

Everyone I went in BC this year… many small towns… druggies staggering around, sleeping in ditches, walking around parking lots. Very sad..

There are tents along the TransCanada one you pass Chillawack heading west.

The YouTube clip was well done. Made a lot of sense. And so sad it seems true.
And yet back in the early 80’s there were many people living in bush shelters in the Nanaimo area. It was a lifestyle, and I still see that element today. I’m spending the weekend in downtown Vancouver, and I can say it’s a beautiful city.
Old 10-10-2022, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Sadly there are tent camps for druggies in small towns in BC. In Parksville they camp under the bridge on the south side of town.

Everyone I went in BC this year… many small towns… druggies staggering around, sleeping in ditches, walking around parking lots. Very sad..

Visiting family in the lower mainland my kids would play count the homeless camps

The lower mainland keeps getting worse. Not all are even junkies that are homeless addicts. There is a truck stop in Abbotsford that has working people that live in trailers/campers that can’t afford to rent or buy.
Old 10-10-2022, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyAlberta View Post
And yet back in the early 80’s there were many people living in bush shelters in the Nanaimo area. It was a lifestyle, and I still see that element today. I’m spending the weekend in downtown Vancouver, and I can say it’s a beautiful city.
The tent camps in the lower mainland are not lifestyle hippies at least not in the last 30years lol

Your definition on beautiful is very different then mine and others I know who lived or presently live in the area lol

Most I know are working on leaving the lower mainland or they are elderly who Are riding out there final days because the hospitals they need are close

Unfortunately I have had to make lots of visits to the area in the last few years do to family deaths/health issues/estates.

I guess one man’s dream is another’s nightmare

Last edited by Smoky buck; 10-10-2022 at 05:20 AM.
Old 10-10-2022, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Visiting family in the lower mainland my kids would play count the homeless camps

The lower mainland keeps getting worse. Not all are even junkies that are homeless addicts. There is a truck stop in Abbotsford that has working people that live in trailers/campers that can’t afford to rent or buy.
A lot of those campers and little camps are from the trans mountain pipeline workers. They get 200 bucks a day living allowance and rather than spend on hotels or rent a ridiculous priced house, they are “roughing it” and pocketing the cash.
Hotels/motels are all booked around Abby and Hope etc.
I was supposed to work there this spring but luckily got on the Kitimat LNG project instead.
200 a day on 21 day hitch equates to an extra 4 grand a month.
Old 10-10-2022, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
A lot of those campers and little camps are from the trans mountain pipeline workers. They get 200 bucks a day living allowance and rather than spend on hotels or rent a ridiculous priced house, they are “roughing it” and pocketing the cash.
Hotels/motels are all booked around Abby and Hope etc.
I was supposed to work there this spring but luckily got on the Kitimat LNG project instead.
200 a day on 21 day hitch equates to an extra 4 grand a month.
There is a portion of trans mountain guys but the ones I am talking about are not. Many of the homeless camps I am talking about are much older or straight up crackhead camps. The truck stop in Abby is not Trans mountain either

Trans mountain guys don’t have forts made from random trash and tarps in the bush. Those ones are homeless
Old 10-10-2022, 08:54 AM

Quote:
The numbers camping out and the amount of drugs and crime has skyrocketed in recent years.

I know people in the security business there and it isn’t pretty and the government is actually encouraging it via policies.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 10-11-2022, 02:47 PM

Took a spin on the bike on my way through downtown Edmonton from the police station along the multi-use trail running to Stadium LRT and beyond. Easily 100+ tents. Looks like the YEG progressive overlords like Sohi and formerly Iveson have us well underway towards the YVR model.

As mentioned before, one good thing about -30 is it cleans up the streets! Maybe that and ice fishing.
Old 10-11-2022, 06:49 PM

Been thinking more about this and looking online for info.

I think the left had an interesting premise on illegal drug use but unfortunately their 2005 four Pilar idea ran into an ever increasing fentanyl surge since 2011/2012.

It would seem this drug makes the current plan inoperable however if the strategy isn’t changed soon it’s going to get scarier and scarier in warmer areas of the country.

I am particularly intrigued by seeing and hearing people saying decriminalizing hard drugs is the way to go just like Portugal.

However Portugal police don’t ignore drug use on the streets like Vancouver does. In fact there remains significant consequences in Portugal for drug use and possession.

This link was enlightening. https://beportugal.com/portugal-drug-laws/

Enforcement is about getting people off drugs and away from drug influences.

Did not know this. This what Vancouver and BC should be doing. This zero consequences and we will help you use drugs whenever you want strategy… is a failed experiment.

Quote:
What happens if you get caught with drugs in Portugal?
In line with the Portugal Drug Policy, if you get caught in possession of small quantities of drugs (defined as not exceeding a 10-day supply of that substance), you are issued with a summons and the drugs will be confiscated.

You will then be evaluated by the local Commission for the Dissuasion of Drug Addiction (“Comissões para a Dissuasão da Toxicodependência” (CDT)) which is made up of three people: One a legal expert, the other two are selected from medical doctors, psychologists, sociologists or social workers.

The Portugal Drug Policy empowers the committee to decide on the relevant sanctions which may include any of the following:

Fines ranging from €25 to €150;
Suspension of the right to practice for users with licensed professions that may endanger another person or someone’s possessions (such as a medical doctor or taxi driver);
A ban on visiting certain places (like clubs, entertainment venues, etc.);
A ban on associating with specific other persons;
Foreign travel ban;
A need to report periodically to the committee;
Withdrawal of the right to carry a gun;
Confiscation of personal possessions;
Cessation of subsidies or allowances that a person receives from a public agency.
If you are suspected of associating with drug trafficking, growing or selling drugs (usually based on a larger quantity of drugs), you will face imprisonment.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 10-11-2022, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Been thinking more about this and looking online for info.

I think the left had an interesting premise on illegal drug use but unfortunately their 2005 four Pilar idea ran into an ever increasing fentanyl surge since 2011/2012.

It would seem this drug makes the current plan inoperable however if the strategy isn’t changed soon it’s going to get scarier and scarier in warmer areas of the country.

I am particularly intrigued by seeing and hearing people saying decriminalizing hard drugs is the way to go just like Portugal.

However Portugal police don’t ignore drug use on the streets like Vancouver does. In fact there remains significant consequences in Portugal for drug use and possession.

This link was enlightening. https://beportugal.com/portugal-drug-laws/

Enforcement is about getting people off drugs and away from drug influences.

Did not know this. This what Vancouver and BC should be doing. This zero consequences and we will help you use drugs whenever you want strategy… is a failed experiment.
I think the solution is more “safe injection” sites & further legalization. All over Vancouver & area. Like, all over the place. When people start moving, crackheads & bums will take over the remaining houses in neighbourhoods that were actually occupied resulting in lower housing prices (except no one will buy because of rampant crime rates). Kills two birds with one woke stone really.
Old 10-11-2022, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I’d rather be outdoors View Post
I think the solution is more “safe injection” sites & further legalization. All over Vancouver & area. Like, all over the place. When people start moving, crackheads & bums will take over the remaining houses neighbourhoods that were actually occupied resulting in lower housing prices (except no one will buy because of rampant crime rates). Kills two birds with one woke stone really.
Some would say make Saturna Island a refuge for drug users. People that wish to enter rehab can leave to Moresby Island. One rehabbed moved to mainland. Otherwise island will allow tents and will receive food shipments along with low Carbon intensive agriculture on the island. Money saved from crime and policing can be used for food, shelter, and rehab.
Old 10-11-2022, 07:37 PM

As current approach obviously is working, perhaps thinking outside of the box as Sundancefisher showed in post 38 is route to be explored. Stop more incidents such as this from continuing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1XaORrnI1s.
Old 10-12-2022, 10:47 AM

Very interesting article regarding Seattle homeless. Unaccountability of certain groups. Bottom line, follow the $$$$/votes.
https://roominate.com/blog/2016/anatomy-of-a-swindle/
Old 05-25-2023, 06:16 AM

Default Aaron Gunn's latest video.

His latest video on Crime/Drug issues problems and responses. Interesting look at Alberta's approach towards end. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RaWzJUeT0o The mess in Vancouver is migrating and proliferating.
Old 05-25-2023, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Would be somewhat ignorant to think Alberta wouldn’t be a hotbed of homeless addicts if winter didn’t cleanse the streets.
Yup. Natural barriers + Ralph Klein (One way tickets).
Old 05-25-2023, 08:08 AM

Cut off the source with an iron fist ,these scum bag dealers destroying lives , killing all walks of life and especially young kids that think it's cool to experiment. You get caught dealing Fentanyl , meth ,you face a firing squad. Clean up on those bastids, They pay no taxes , illegally carry firearms , have shoot outs in crowded public places.... and on and on. Just human garbage that contribute nothing but pain and grief to society.
Old 05-25-2023, 08:13 AM

Cut them off! One bullet is all it takes!!!!! SS&S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackleyman View Post
Cut off the source with an iron fist ,these scum bag dealers destroying lives , killing all walks of life and especially young kids that think it's cool to experiment. You get caught dealing Fentanyl , meth ,you face a firing squad. Clean up on those bastids, They pay no taxes , illegally carry firearms , have shoot outs in crowded public places.... and on and on. Just human garbage that contribute nothing but pain and grief to society.
Old 05-25-2023, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbrass View Post
Cut them off! One bullet is all it takes!!!!! SS&S
Are you Phillipino? This is what Philippines government has imposed.
https://abcnews.go.com/International...lings-93252691
Old 05-25-2023, 02:44 PM

Quote:

I was surprised to see similar encampments in Hawaii and not just Honolulu, it's become a universal problem.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 05-25-2023, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmtada View Post
Are you Phillipino? This is what Philippines government has imposed.
https://abcnews.go.com/International...lings-93252691
>>
Brother in law lives in Singapore where as we all know, they have zero tolerance. We were chatting on line and he had this to say about a late incident
>>
"Latest bizarre news from SG: some students in the Australian international school were suspected of having drugs. The police here found out, went to the school, lined up all the students and cut off a few strands of their hair for drug testing. 4 were found with substance and were given 14 days to leave SG….along with their parents. I’ve known of these penalties here for yrs and had conversations with my son about this when he was attending school here. They don’t fool around here."
Old 05-25-2023, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackleyman View Post
My opinion..... If the government thinks that drugs aren't all that bad and that we should be trying to help out people that deal these "harder" drugs, then when caught red-handed with the stuff they intend on trafficking to others - instead the "dealers" have to consume all they have right then and there.

You choose to deal Meth? Inject it all into your veins. If it's not all that bad, maybe you'll survive but in a vegetative state. If you don't have any bad problems, you didn't learn your lesson but may on the next go-around.

Maybe after a few horror stories of their friends last day's, the "dealers" would think twice about selling that crap.

J.
Old 05-25-2023, 07:08 PM

Quote:
I’m spending the weekend in downtown Vancouver, and I can say it’s a beautiful city.
I have spent 6 days (travel - drive to Edmonton and then air - included) in Van city. Just got back yesterday. I haven’t been there for a few years (maybe 5?). I have to say I agree. I haven’t spent any time downtown though, just drove through on the way from and to the airport. Spent most of my time in North and West Vancouver and a day and a half in Squamish (a bit of rock climbing and finally got the kids on the rock for the first time in their lives, which was exciting). The place is beautiful, without a doubt. I mean how can anyone who has ever been say it ain’t? People is another subject, but I am antisocial, so not a big issue, lol.

I saw less easily identifiable drug addicts and homeless people than I did on any of my equally long (well, shorter because I never stayed in Edmonton as long, I don’t think) trips to Edmonton. Of course, I simply avoided the areas with “pristine habitat” and not so much in Edmonton.

Overall, I’d pick Vancouver as a place to visit every time over Edmonton, without thinking twice. I would choose it over Calgary more often than not as well. It’s just a nice city with countless more things to do and places to visit, imo. Would I live there? Not really. But then it is way out of my price range regardless, lol. But again, as far as visiting metropolises goes, Vancouver is among those on top of the list.
Old 05-25-2023, 08:56 PM

This makes sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrayford View Post
My opinion..... If the government thinks that drugs aren't all that bad and that we should be trying to help out people that deal these "harder" drugs, then when caught red-handed with the stuff they intend on trafficking to others - instead the "dealers" have to consume all they have right then and there.

You choose to deal Meth? Inject it all into your veins. If it's not all that bad, maybe you'll survive but in a vegetative state. If you don't have any bad problems, you didn't learn your lesson but may on the next go-around.

Maybe after a few horror stories of their friends last day's, the "dealers" would think twice about selling that crap.

J.
Old 05-25-2023, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
I have spent 6 days (travel - drive to Edmonton and then air - included) in Van city. Just got back yesterday. I haven’t been there for a few years (maybe 5?). I have to say I agree. I haven’t spent any time downtown though, just drove through on the way from and to the airport. Spent most of my time in North and West Vancouver and a day and a half in Squamish (a bit of rock climbing and finally got the kids on the rock for the first time in their lives, which was exciting). The place is beautiful, without a doubt. I mean how can anyone who has ever been say it ain’t? People is another subject, but I am antisocial, so not a big issue, lol.

I saw less easily identifiable drug addicts and homeless people than I did on any of my equally long (well, shorter because I never stayed in Edmonton as long, I don’t think) trips to Edmonton. Of course, I simply avoided the areas with “pristine habitat” and not so much in Edmonton.

Overall, I’d pick Vancouver as a place to visit every time over Edmonton, without thinking twice. I would choose it over Calgary more often than not as well. It’s just a nice city with countless more things to do and places to visit, imo. Would I live there? Not really. But then it is way out of my price range regardless, lol. But again, as far as visiting metropolises goes, Vancouver is among those on top of the list.
Drive down Hastings , and tell us how beautiful it is. We went down Hastings to Granville Island, and there was nothing of beauty there.
Old 05-25-2023, 10:28 PM

^ I’ve done many times and walked there many times as well at different times of day. “Beauty” of its own, haha. I simply don’t go there if I don’t need to. If the climate was here as it is there, streets would be full of them here as well. Though there are enough here as it is.

One thing I noticed this time is that there is a visible… Not sure how to explain it… I guess you can say that it seems like less money is available for parks and other public places. Almost everywhere we went, it seems like it is “less” than it was 4-5 years ago (and prior, of course). Some things (not many) that used to be free are not longer such.

Another thing that is extremely noticeable, like really sticks out, is how many Teslas there are, as well as other electric vehicles. You can see a few every time you look around and in the mirror. Sometimes, stopped at a small intersection, you and the other guy are the only ones sitting in a vehicle powered by an ICE; other 5+ would be all electric. Still not a huge percentage overall, but definitely not an insignificant amount by any measure.

I guess getting off topic here, but yeah, I think it is a great place to visit as far as big cities go.
Old 05-25-2023, 11:03 PM

Alberta just needs to start arresting people for open drug use and/or small quantity drug possession.

Ban them from the areas with drug use problems. Prison for X days to detox. Mandatory rehab in a utilitarian facility in the middle of nowhere Alberta. Have drug free housing set up with a job available to get adjusted back to society.

Next arrest… 3 months in prison… rehab …

Next arrest 1 year in prison …

Point being that after the first arrest they will do one of two things.

1. Take the tougher road to recovery seriously.

2. Move to Vancouver.

Cost to rehab is worth more value than dealing with a druggy for the next 30 years of crime and healthcare, social housing, food etc.
Old 05-26-2023, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
^ I’ve done many times and walked there many times as well at different times of day. “Beauty” of its own, haha. I simply don’t go there if I don’t need to. If the climate was here as it is there, streets would be full of them here as well. Though there are enough here as it is.

One thing I noticed this time is that there is a visible… Not sure how to explain it… I guess you can say that it seems like less money is available for parks and other public places. Almost everywhere we went, it seems like it is “less” than it was 4-5 years ago (and prior, of course). Some things (not many) that used to be free are not longer such.

Another thing that is extremely noticeable, like really sticks out, is how many Teslas there are, as well as other electric vehicles. You can see a few every time you look around and in the mirror. Sometimes, stopped at a small intersection, you and the other guy are the only ones sitting in a vehicle powered by an ICE; other 5+ would be all electric. Still not a huge percentage overall, but definitely not an insignificant amount by any measure.

I guess getting off topic here, but yeah, I think it is a great place to visit as far as big cities go.
Vancouver is great to show people what happens when the woke run a city. When I was there a few years ago it was so ironic to see electric vehicles, while the city dumped their raw sewage into the ocean. It only makes sense to the woke. And going down Hastings, and watching the police standing around while the junkies shot up in the street, made no more sense. So Vancouver does serve a purpose, it is a warning of where things are headed, if we keep electing the woke to lead us.
Old 05-26-2023, 06:25 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Vancouver is great to show people what happens when the woke run a city. When I was there a few years ago it was so ironic to see electric vehicles, while the city dumped their raw sewage into the ocean. It only makes sense to the woke. And going down Hastings, and watching the police standing around while the junkies shot up in the street, made no more sense. So Vancouver does serve a purpose, it is a warning of where things are headed, if we keep electing the woke to lead us.
Seems to be all major centres are just cesspools which spill over as the population grows in some areas.

But have some nice areas too.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-26-2023, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Seems to be all major centres are just cesspools which spill over as the population grows in some areas.

West Coast politics. San Diego-Vancouver. All similar situations. Leftist, socialist style governments. However they have very wealthy people, business’s, Super high taxation, overpaid municipal governments. (Top life guards in Southern California make $500,000.00/year). No wonder no $$$ for homeless situation.
https://english.elpais.com/society/2...-per-year.html

“Daniel Douglas was the most highly paid lifeguard and earned $510,283 in 2021, an increase from $442,712 in 2020. As the lifeguard captain, he earned $150,054 in salary, $28,661 in perks, $85,508 in benefits, and $246,060 in overtime pay. The second highest paid, lifeguard chief Fernando Boiteux, earned $463,517, up from $393,137 the previous year. Most of the top-paid lifeguards were men and only two of the top 20 high-earners were women. Ironically, the popular TV series Baywatch featured twice as many female lifeguards as men. Lifeguard captain Virginia Rupe was the 16th highest paid, earning $307,664, and ocean lifeguard specialist Lauren Dale was the 19th highest paid, earning $303,518”.
Old 05-26-2023, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post

There is a reason I prefer to live in places with no more than 15000 people and won’t do big cities anymore. Between 5000-10000 seems to be a good zone. I also like a 100-200km buffer between where I live and a big city

All my friends who tell me about all their city issues hear the same thing every time “ and that is why I don’t live there”

I have lived in/visited my fair share of big cities and they all have messed up issues. It doesn’t matter where it seems as the population increases in a city the crazies and scum reach a level that they have a much larger impact on the rest of the population

The lower mainland is really bad because it’s basically one big city from Vancouver to Chilliwack because there is very little to no gap between each city

Poor policies and poorly governed do play a role but high population is the real cancer
Old 05-26-2023, 09:18 AM

I visited my Aunt in Vernon and friends in Kelowna last week . drugged out people all over the place walking like zombies . My Aunt lives in a gated community , homeless camp 1/4 mile away.