Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-16-2023, 05:26 PM

Default electric hunting bike

Just wondering how many hunters on here use electric bikes for hunting. Brands, capabilities, motors, batteries, etc. BEL
Old 05-17-2023, 10:18 AM

Me too.....??

I am just starting to look; I see lots of people riding them on the nice smooth street but will they withstand the uneven ground, pounding it around or load capacity, cost for a good one?

I am usually day trips so recharging would be when I returned home. I have no idea how long a "one-day" charge would last? Does cold temperature affect performance?

Maybe Bow Cycle to start?

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.

Last edited by graybeard; 05-17-2023 at 10:38 AM.
Old 05-17-2023, 10:28 AM

I thought about it but they would be hard to charge in our hunting camps, we don't have a generator.
Old 05-17-2023, 10:50 AM

Default research

Lots of research to do first before investing 7 grand. The Mule and Quietcat seem to be pretty tough. BEL
Old 05-17-2023, 10:52 AM

They run so quiet I'd worry about them being banned for hunting, that's a big investment to make that could easily just be made useless for hunting.
Old 05-17-2023, 11:29 AM

I run a quietkat warrior with a 250 lb capacity two wheel trailer I can get an elk out in 2 trips if alone. Elk and deer usually just stand and watch as I drive by but when you stop they get restless. I would like to try the Mule out to see the difference. There is now a Bakcou dealer in Brooks.
Old 05-17-2023, 11:41 AM

I have ridden several different bikes through work. I settled on. Rocky Mountain Growler power play 30, with a mid drive motor. It is a class 1 E-assist bike. With Alberta currently having no legislation as to what constitutes motorized and non motorized as the Federal Govt. definition which Alberta used has been repealed. Most provinces and the US are going with class 1 is non motorized, and class 2 is motorized. I use mine in a lot of non motorized areas so the quiet cats and the like are likely not going to be allowed. I have a home built custom B.O.B trailer with 20” wheel and I use a Robert axle projects through axle on the growler. Makes hauling camp and meat a breeze.
Old 05-17-2023, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
I thought about it but they would be hard to charge in our hunting camps, we don't have a generator.
They do have a solar charging kit:
https://quietkat.com/en-ca/products/...n?ref=yotpo_94
Old 05-17-2023, 12:25 PM

Quote:
They run so quiet I'd worry about them being banned for hunting, that's a big investment to make that could easily just be made useless for hunting.
Probably should be banned.
Old 05-17-2023, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack fish hunter View Post
BLASPHEMY!
Old 05-17-2023, 02:27 PM

I have one of these https://electricbikereview.com/surface-604/boar-hunter/ but haven't used it hunting and likely won't. Lots of power, reasonably priced & very good range. Torque sensor is an important feature on these bikes. Great bike overall. I think the idea of using a bike for hunting is a lot more appealing than the reality would be. Bike hunting just doesn't suit my style of hunting. It would be good if you have access to property with roads or paths where they would allow you to ride it.
Old 05-17-2023, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Totally agree, state of Idaho considered them motorized vehicles.
Old 05-17-2023, 05:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by colvert View Post
Totally agree, state of Idaho considered them motorized vehicles.
I think they should ban double barrel shotguns. And bird dogs too.
Old 05-17-2023, 06:23 PM

Quit banning stuff. If you don't want one don't buy one. If you can't afford one sell a rifle. That's what a conservative would do. Those other groups would ban them only because they don't want you to have one...include BHA with those other groups
Old 05-17-2023, 06:43 PM

I have a YUKON 750 LIMITED made by VOLT bike in the Vancouver area $2300. plus $49 shipping, 750 hub drive rear motor--4 inch tires -- 7 speed and 9 power levels--19.5 amp battery. Living in Elkford every where you ride is up or down hill so I put a smaller sprocket on the front and what a very improved difference it made. Also has a hand throttle if you want to ride it like a motorcycle. With the bigger front sprocket, I was mostly using the first power level and 4th gear. The smaller front sprocket I jumped up to 7th gear and the 4th power level and find that combo good for most all of my riding. Younger people will have a different opinion on this. Crossbow and lawn chair ride the front rack.
Old 05-17-2023, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Why do you think they should be banned? Colvert you can weigh in as well.

Thomas Sowell
Old 05-17-2023, 09:52 PM

This will be my first season using one and I just want to use it for upland. I have a Kona elKahuna SUV. It is more of a trail bike with racks, lights, and fenders. I added a suspension seat post, better grips and seat. It is E-assist with great range.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg my23_el_kahuna_suv_angle.jpg (65.1 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg 20230510_102751.jpg (43.9 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg 20230506_125347.jpg (39.9 KB, 103 views)

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend

Last edited by teledogs; 05-17-2023 at 10:02 PM.
Old 05-17-2023, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOUNTAIN MICKEY View Post
I have a YUKON 750 LIMITED made by VOLT bike in the Vancouver area $2300. plus $49 shipping, 750 hub drive rear motor--4 inch tires -- 7 speed and 9 power levels--19.5 amp battery. Living in Elkford every where you ride is up or down hill so I put a smaller sprocket on the front and what a very improved difference it made. Also has a hand throttle if you want to ride it like a motorcycle. With the bigger front sprocket, I was mostly using the first power level and 4th gear. The smaller front sprocket I jumped up to 7th gear and the 4th power level and find that combo good for most all of my riding. Younger people will have a different opinion on this. Crossbow and lawn chair ride the front rack.
I've got the same bike. I made some changes in the software that control power, power levels and max assisted speed. I'm running mine at 1,000 watts, reduced the power levels from 9 to 5 and changed the max assisted speed to 40 km/h. I've had it running at these settings for a couple years. Over 3,500 km on the bike and the only maintenance I've done was to change the rear tire........not a flat just went bald.
Old 05-18-2023, 03:49 AM

I think we should ban stupidity...
"Placed correctly Swift A-Frames will reliably kill big bears. So will North Forks, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Kodiaks, Woodleighs, GS soft points, Hornady Interbonds and Speer Grand Slams - and if I missed your favorite bullet -it probably will too.
It's time to go hunting and quit all this ballistic masturbation."

Phil Shoemaker
Old 05-18-2023, 07:46 AM

Default Question for CNP re Yukon 750

What did you do to get 1000W, computer settings or does it need a stronger controller ?
Old 05-18-2023, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Krammer View Post
What did you do to get 1000W, computer settings or does it need a stronger controller ?
The oem controller can handle it, it's just a change in parameters that you make. I ran into this on a ebike forum: https://electricbikereview.com/forum...upgrade.36857/
Old 05-18-2023, 09:20 AM

Quote:
I've been looking at the different ones as well for the last few months, and like others feel limited to range while out in camp with no generator for recharging.

Then I ran across these: https://rocksolar.ca/collections/sol...-system?page=1

I would think that solar bank to a lithium battery would replenish the charge ready for you to return to camp and charge up the bike, but does add to the cost of the bike.
Old 05-18-2023, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOUNTAIN MICKEY View Post
I have this exact same bike and use it for hunting too. I can NOT see a reason to spend triple or quadruple for a hunting specific. These bikes serve the purpose perfectly! Plus my wife and kids can ride it.

https://www.voltbike.com/
Old 05-18-2023, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
The oem controller can handle it, it's just a change in parameters that you make. I ran into this on a ebike forum: https://electricbikereview.com/forum...upgrade.36857/
I will be trying this out tonight!
Old 05-19-2023, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Why do you think they should be banned? Colvert you can weigh in as well.
Motorized vehicles allow deep penetration into wildlife habitat. Those E-bikes are even more armful due to the lack of noise. They will eventually be classified as motorized. They should be banned where other ATVs access is already restricted.
Old 05-19-2023, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Motorized vehicles allow deep penetration into wildlife habitat. Those E-bikes are even more armful due to the lack of noise. They will eventually be classified as motorized. They should be banned where other ATVs access is already restricted.
Ha.
Deep penetration into wildlife habitat? Like by following a road or trail?
Do you own one?
Have you ever tried to ride one?
Noisy petro powered vehicles are bad and now green powered no noise bicycles are bad?
Your only hoping that the govt will say they are motorized so you can smile and say to yourself that the govt saved us again, from those evil ebike riders.
Ban them? "Banning thing is a curse of our age. Modern day puritans want to ban things without any evidence that the activity is harmful."
Old 05-19-2023, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
Noisy petro powered vehicles are bad and now green powered no noise bicycles are bad?
That's a head-scratcher for sure!
Old 05-19-2023, 10:13 AM

Quote:
They should ban walking into wildlife habit as well as there is a lack of noise!!
Old 05-19-2023, 11:12 AM

While we’re at it might as well ban horses too as they are quiet and can get way back where others can not walk to. Just have to shake your head sometimes.
Old 05-19-2023, 11:48 AM

Pretty pathetic how someone can dislike something, so they figure it should be banned....

"I don't like it so no one should have" mentality, a very liberal mindset.