Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-25-2023, 09:37 AM

Default Another Vantage Thread

Hey all, so I was able to find a brand new 36 V vantage from Winnipeg and got it sent over. The boat has a receptacle that was wired in for another 36 V Vantage but the style of Vantage has changed slightly. Previous model was a 2016 and this is the 2021 version. Same voltage and thrust but the wiring off the unit is a bit different. Wondering if anyone knows regarding wiring a marine plug to the new unit and plugging it into the existing receptacle which is properly wired and connected for the previous vantage. Would this cause any issues? I am not an electrician - far from it. Any info or insight is appreciated.
Old 05-25-2023, 09:52 AM

No issues with installing a different plug on the new Vantage to match your receptacle.

But......check, double check, and then triple check to make SURE you have the new plug installed to match the existing receptacle. A good quality volt meter and a diagram of the plug and receptacle are invaluable. Figure out how your receptacle is wired, and wire the new plug to match. There will be a common ground, a 12V and a 36V circuit. The exact configuration isn't critical, the only critical thing is matching the 12V and 36V circuits on your setup.

The 12V circuit is for the lift motor, and the 36V circuit for the thrust motor. If you cross them - POOF - and you're into trying to find a new circuit board and lift motor components. There's basically no margin for error...

Not difficult or complicated, you can do it yourself, just take your time and make sure it's right before you plug it in.
Old 05-25-2023, 03:40 PM

Thanks for the reply. I know what you are saying but the previous wiring coming off the Vantage itself was different. This new motor has a yellow wire with seemingly no ground to pair it with. I'm concerned the existing wiring for the receptacle running to the batteries is different somehow.

Previous unit has a ground, a 12 V and a 36 V wire. Same way the receptacle is hooked up. This ones got me concerned as you're right about ensuing correct locations for voltages or kapoof!, board is fried.

Marinco plug still the way to go?

Cheers.
Old 05-25-2023, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowrance Fishburn View Post
Thanks for the reply. I know what you are saying but the previous wiring coming off the Vantage itself was different. This new motor has a yellow wire with seemingly no ground to pair it with. I'm concerned the existing wiring for the receptacle running to the batteries is different somehow.

Previous unit has a ground, a 12 V and a 36 V wire. Same way the receptacle is hooked up. This ones got me concerned as you're right about ensuing correct locations for voltages or kapoof!, board is fried.

Marinco plug still the way to go?

Cheers.
I run the Marinco plug.

Is your current setup/receptacle a 4 prong? My memory ain't what it used to be, but I thought they were all a 3 prong design, common ground, 36V+ and 12V+.

Memory disclaimer again, but I believe on the current Vantage, the smaller gauge yellow wire is the 12V+, red heavy gauge 36V+, and heavy gauge black is the common ground.

You'll need to decode your current wiring to the receptacle and make sure it matches.

https://minnkota.johnsonoutdoors.com...motors/vantage
Old 05-26-2023, 09:44 AM

Upon further inspection, it seems like they've juts changed the colors. I'll pull the existing receptacle and confirm voltage to each port and line up the motor wires to the corresponding ports. It is a 3 prong plug & receptacle. Just overthinking it a bit i guess and but nervous as there really is no room for error. Thanks!