Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-14-2024, 09:14 AM

Default NRL Hunter Match - Alberta June 7-9 2024

Hey everyone just wanted to post this to let you all know about the upcoming NRL Hunter Match in Alberta about 25 min west of Stavely. June 7-9th 2024

NRL Hunter is a field-style precision rifle match based around preparing hunters for their season or a hunt. Shooters will carry their rifle and gear to shooting positions and all stages are set up to be blind, so that the shooter must find, range, and engage all targets.

These matches are ton of fun, and I guarantee attending one will make you a better shooter and hunter. They are designed with the first time competitor in mind so don't be shy about signing up.
You can come out and compete in one of the divisions for series points and generous prize table, or you can shoot 'skills' division (cheaper) to just get better with whatever rifle you have, 223, 30-06 or whatever. Basically all you need is a rifle/ammo, binos and a range finder. .

I am not affiliated with the match but have shot a couple of these. I can try and answer any questions you may have.

Match Page:
https://nrlhunter.org/matches-2024/24-21/

NRL Hunter Main Site has lost of extra info.
https://nrlhunter.org/

Helpful videos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsaLUdntgjM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmHtGe0YdKs
Old 05-15-2024, 08:35 AM

Will this match allow spectators or is the format not conducive to this?
Old 05-16-2024, 08:51 AM

Yes spectators are not a problem, however the stages are generally blind so you will be with a squad of shooters and waiting in a holding aera where you cant see the stage or the target until it is your turn to shoot then you will move up to the stage and shoot. So for instance a couple of guys at the last match had their wife/girlfriends with them and they just moved stage to stage with them and then took pictures when their husband was shooting.

If you are on the fence about shooting or coming to spectate I would highly encourage you to shoot the match. These matches are verry approachable especially in the 'skills' division. In the 'Skills' division the Range Officer will help you on the stage find targets and give wind calls, even give you the range to the targets if you don't have a capable rangefinder etc. plus it is only $180 to enter skills division.
Old 05-21-2024, 08:16 PM

I just got back from shooting one of these matches in Montana this weekend and it was absolutely an amazing time. If you are on the fence don't hesitate, I shot with a bone stock Ruger American predator and did well, so whatever you have will work.
Old 05-27-2024, 11:18 PM

Default Spectator Fee

is there any fee to be a spectator?
Old 05-28-2024, 09:25 AM

Can confirm, it's an extremely fun way to try out shooting sports, and as hunters it definitely will test your skills, but in a way that's more fun than anything else you've ever tried.

I highly recommend trying this out. I will say that you'll leave with a smile on your face, and the community is second to none.
Old 05-28-2024, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg View Post
is there any fee to be a spectator?
I don't believe so, but you'll be upset for not bringing a rifle and ammo with you.

When you see the first stage or two, you'll wish you had a chance to try it out.
Old 05-28-2024, 05:35 PM

Default fun

Would love to try this type of event! Schedule conflict for this one. is there any more scheduled? where would you find a list of these competitions?
Thanks
Old 05-28-2024, 06:55 PM

There are only 2 in Canada this year, the first one being a few weeks ago in Cranbrook, BC.

This is the 2nd and last match in Canada for 2024.
Lots of matches in the U.S. through the remainder of the year.

Go to https://nrlhunter.org to find the match schedule.

The 2025 schedule gets posted some time around November (I think)
Old 05-30-2024, 05:12 AM

A friend and I are interested, we have been trying to contact the Match Director(s) with a few questions. Do
You have their contact info?
Old 05-30-2024, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttle_monkey1 View Post
A friend and I are interested, we have been trying to contact the Match Director(s) with a few questions. Do
You have their contact info?
Yes MD is Darcy - 403-899-6018
Old 05-31-2024, 07:43 AM

Awesome thank you!