Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-31-2007, 10:31 AM
predator shoot

Default predator shoot

Sarcee fish & game predator shoot feb 3 for info. call Dean @5690090 days. 8633427 eve.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:02 PM
predator shoot

Default predator shoot

Adding more info. teams of two, $20.00 per team, hunt sat. feb 3 only. alberta hunting regulations apply.

fox = 3 pts. each
coyotes = 2.5 pts. "
ravens= .5 pt . "
magpies= .5 pt. "
Old 01-31-2007, 07:09 PM
Hum

Default Hum

Quote:
fox = 3 pts. each
sounds like a thrill kill to me points :rolleyes whats that about.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:20 AM
predator shoot

Default predator shoot

we are just trying to get people out to help control predators. the money pot will be split 50% to team with most points 30% for second 20% third.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:10 PM
Okotokian

Quote:
we are just trying to get people out to help control predators. the money pot will be split 50% to team with most points 30% for second 20% third.
I'm NOT commenting on the motives or anything of the people involved, but to an outsider this could look pretty bad... "Come on out and kill foxes, coyotes, magpies, ravens.. basically anything that you can find that moves, and win nice cash prizes!" :rolleyes
Old 02-01-2007, 05:57 PM
jrs

Default predatorshoot

Theres several of them accross the province guys. Not sure how much pred hunting you do but those species are a challenge and a nuisance. Those three are probably the biggest predators on bird nests and in most areas have really benefited living around people. Pretty good idea to get guys out and the competition gets new people hooked. This one sounds good, i've seen others including rabbits, porcupines, stuff that really didn't need thinning in the area as people had already generated enough pressure for food. No ones eating many magpies and foxes.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:07 PM
Predator shoot

Default Predator shoot

I can't believe someone would actually think to cut this type of event down.Yes a tree hugger would not like to see this but if they are surfing this site they probably won't like anything they see here anyway.Way to go Guest ,you have my support for this event.Chances are the people doing it are going to kill them anyway wether there is money involved or not.IMO.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:20 PM
Exactly

Default Exactly

Good work on the event. More people need to get out in the field to work on controlling predators as unmanaged predators unleash havoc on bird populations. I have also heard that often these events contribute the funds received from the hides (coyotes and foxes) towards the purchase of wildlife habitat.

So..good on you guys.

ManoftheWoods
Old 02-01-2007, 06:39 PM
Funny

Default Funny

After over 200 looks some of you want to make a few comments geee look at that . I dont care about the hunt i have just never heard about this point thing.:rolleyes Good luck to you and your hunt guest.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:40 PM
slopeshunter

Default Important Event

Jrs, Double Shovel & Manofthewoods. Thanks for contributing to this thread.

It's reasons like what you guys stated that make these events valuable in helping to manage predator populations.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:43 PM
Okotokian

Default Re: Important Event

OK guys, you convinced me. I hadn't realized the untold devastation foxes, ravens and magpies caused. We really need to keep our farm communities from collapsing. I stand corrected. Let's eliminate these predators.

just funnin' :b
Old 02-01-2007, 10:32 PM
jrs

I figured you all knew what impacts they had but i restate it as the internets a big place and people with no idea occasionally look around. I have a few friends who are wildlife biologists for several species. The duck and upland bird guys always emphasise those three species (plus raccoon in the south). Leaving a few extra coyotes around can actually help the birds out as they'll kill foxes and raccoons and are less efficient at predating nests. I was involved in a small nesting study once and the predation was ridiculous among our fake nests (like 80%), it was mostly magpies and meso-predators. Mice usually cleaned up the nest afterwards as well but a hen would alleviate that in real life. Interesting however. Foxes are great at finding nests.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:11 AM
Duffy4

In a "natural" ecosystem wildlife populations have big peaks and vallies. Prey numbers go up, up, up and then preditor numbers go up, up, up. Then prey numbers go down, down, down and preditor numbers follow.

If man wants to take on a big preditor role (and we do) then it is benificial to even out the peaks and vallies so there will be lots of prey for us.

Reducing preditor numbers means there will be more prey for us to hunt (except for the unwanted prey like mice ect.)

I don't think anyone on here would like to see any preditor eliminated (could we if we tryed?) Just reduced.

And there is nothing quite as "foxy" as a "fox" wearing a fox coat (and nothing else)

Robin in Rocky; where our F&G club has a critter hunt and keeps the rabbits to serve at out wildgame supper.
Old 02-02-2007, 12:10 PM
Okotokian

All good points guys. I'm not really knocking this event. I don't have a problem culling populations that are getting out of hand and causeing havoc. If you look at my original post I said I'm not criticizing the ethics of anyone, that it could just look bad to "outsiders" (read non-hunters). The species list could look a little indiscriminate to them, and even I feel a BIT uncomfortable when we start mixing cash prizes or awards in with hunting. I don't like the Bass tour, I don't like this proposed big game hunting league or whatever it is.

That said, go to it!