Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-31-2021, 05:02 PM

Default Best Skinning knife for $200

Hey fellas. I figured I would be exact about my budget, so in your experience, what skinning knife would you get for $200 or less?

No removable blade jobbies.

I know that is not a high end knife by any stretch, but it is all I got to put toward one at this time.

Thanks in advance for your replies!
Old 12-31-2021, 05:16 PM

I really like my Grohmanns
Cat
Old 12-31-2021, 05:37 PM

I am a Grohmann fan too. You can save a bit more and buy factory seconds direct from them. My folding belt knife is a seconds and I have yet to find the flaw. Made in NS.

https://www.grohmannknives.com/

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend

Last edited by teledogs; 12-31-2021 at 05:42 PM.
Old 12-31-2021, 05:49 PM

I will vote Grohmann as well.

Have a boat knife originally owned by my Grandfather, still holds an incredible edge and easy to maintain.

Sent from my SM-G991W using Tapatalk
Old 12-31-2021, 05:50 PM

Buck 110

There are no absolutes
Old 12-31-2021, 05:51 PM

Mora, under $30 most places.
Old 12-31-2021, 05:58 PM

The "Best" is a subjective. I use my own but for a factory knife I like the Outdoor Edge Swingblade
Old 12-31-2021, 06:13 PM

I also like the Marttinni knives ( I use one on a regular basis ), but I much prefer a drop point to a clip or trailing point knife for field dressing and skinning .
Cat
Old 12-31-2021, 06:15 PM

Something from clintc on here or CGN, he has some right around that price mark.

If not, Spyderco Bill Moran, or some benchmade product.
Old 12-31-2021, 06:39 PM

If you can find one of these, they are a great knife for the price.

https://www.herooutdoors.com/amp/crk...eather-sheath/

-Billy Molls
Old 12-31-2021, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I really like my Grohmanns
Cat
Also a fan of Grohmanns. Good steel, holds an edge, fits the hand, and the angle and geometry just works. I don't know if there is anything better for that budget, and I don't think you would be able to tell if something was 'better'.

This is the one I have, I like the shorter blade on it.

https://grohmannknives.com/index.php...skinner-detail

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 12-31-2021, 06:56 PM

Gerber Gator CM154, excellent steel, non slip handle for under $100.
Old 12-31-2021, 06:57 PM

This is such a tough question to answer because not only are the applications different (deer vs. elk vs. moose vs. birds, etc), but also how each person handles a knife (hand size to fit a handle, arm and hand position, movement, direction when skinning etc.)

I use a Fallkniven NL4 Frey as my belt knife because I LOVE the blade - BUT, when skinning deer or elk out I find the handle a tiny bit narrow, I picked up a Bark River Bravo to try out and I also love the blade on it but the Falkniven is still a tiny bit of a better skinner - UNTIL....

I tried an Esee Izula neck knife and WOW, the blade profile and belly on the blade is incredible for skinning - but short for quartering, lol.

------------

What knives have you got that you like currently? and are you looking for a purpose knife or a decades carry knife?

If its just a purpose knife - I find I often roll deer cleaning with a Mora Bushcraft Black. its always sharp, easy to hone while cutting with the scandi grind edge and I am never afraid to beat on it for any jobs in the woods (things I would NOT do with my other knives).

If I had $200 and was looking for a knife to clean and belt carry, I would grab a Bark River bravo 1, Bark River Aurora or a Grohman - depends on your cutting style and how you like the handle to fit your palm.

Last edited by Coho911; 12-31-2021 at 07:15 PM.
Old 12-31-2021, 07:08 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Hand size and your technique plays a big part.

https://grohmannknives.com/index.php...skinner-detail

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-31-2021, 07:33 PM

I really dig a blade with a Scandi grind for skinning. I’ve used both Helle and Karesuando for skinning. I then switch to a boning knife to break an animal down quickly.
Old 12-31-2021, 07:39 PM

I really like the Benchmade saddle mountain skinner. A little more than 200 but I would say it’s money well soent.
Old 12-31-2021, 08:32 PM

Guys, what am I missing?

I can buy a Havalon for 40 - 50 bucks. It’s always deadly sharp.
I watched some guys in Africa cape out a lion for a full mount with butter knives they sharpened on bricks.

I can’t understand why anyone would pay $100, $200, $500, $1000 for a skinning knife. But I also don’t understand why someone would install a stereo in a vehicle that already had one from factory. Everyone has there thing.

Does a higher end knife work better than a Havalon?
I understand some people appreciate good tools and see value in that. Is that it?
What am I missing?
Old 12-31-2021, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditch donkey View Post
Guys, what am I missing?

I watched some guys in Africa cape out a lion for a full mount with butter knives they sharpened on bricks.

I can’t understand why anyone would pay $100, $200, $500, $1000 for a skinning knife. But I also don’t understand why someone would install a stereo in a vehicle that already had one from factory. Everyone has there thing.

I understand some people appreciate good tools and see value in that. Is that it?
What am I missing?
Myself and the OP helped another hunter to clean a moose in the field with a Havalon. It was around -20, and the fat/blood that kept freezing on the blade, made changing blades miserable, so we gave up on the Havalon, and used our fixed blade knives. That one experience was enough to keep me from ever buying a Havalon. Steels vary a great deal, and the cheapest knives aren't made with the better steels, that hold an edge longer, and require less sharpening.
Old 12-31-2021, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Guys, what am I missing?

What am I missing?
Agree , but the OP doesn’t want a replaceable blade knife.

I have been using the Shrade old timer drop point for close to 40yrs and have gutted and skinned more deer than I can recall with that blade. I have a bunch of other blades but that one always gets the nod.
If I was going to replace it I would probably buy a Mora and you can pay $80 for one of those these days if you take the higher grade knife.

I think it’s sort of like the Lee enfield vs Tikka. The end result is the same , deer with a hole in it and unaware of how much you spent on the hole puncher.

People like what they like can’t fault em for that.
Old 12-31-2021, 08:54 PM

For $200? There's 2 choices, nice and smoking hot.

In our house we use Grohmann's and Damascus (technically it's pattern welded steel).

If you want to spend about $100 get a Grohmann. The fishing tackle store in Jasper puts their Grohmann's on sale each Thanksgiving weekend to clear out inventory.

If your budget is $200 then you can get Damascus steel, also in Jasper. I'm talking about real hand forged knives, not the Amazon or flea-Bay stuff. Bighorn gift store is the place, 604B Connaught Drive, Jasper, T0E 1E0. The owner imports hand made Damascus from Lebanon and we had a nice talk about the Rockwell hardness of his knives' edges. 8-9" drop point skinners are $159-170, labor costs are cheap in Lebanon.

If I had to choose for myself it would be the 8" custom hunting/skinning $159. YMMV. Damn, I think I'm talking myself into it.

facebook.com/bighornsteel/

Bighorn also sells semi-precious jewelry and stones as well. We found this place when my kids noticed the Damascus hunting knives for sale.

Last edited by tranq78; 12-31-2021 at 09:14 PM.
Old 12-31-2021, 09:19 PM

Yeah, I can get behind not wanting to change blades, especially if fat and blood is freezing to it. I won’t change blades on mine unless I use pliers to hold the blade.

People like what they like. It’d be pretty boring if they didn’t.
Old 12-31-2021, 09:58 PM

I have tried a few different ones but I really like the buck 119.

It handles great for me and holds a good edge.

The long blade/ point is awesome for picking through joints
Did a bear hide with no problems
Old 12-31-2021, 10:03 PM

Check out North Arm Lynx. They hold an edge exceptionally well. Since your in Alberta I’m guessing they wouldn’t charge the BC tax. Should be close to your budget.
The Grohmanns is also a good choice. Different look but like the way they fit my hand.
Old 12-31-2021, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Guys, what am I missing?

What am I missing?
Havelon blades are made with low cost metals you can afford to through them away.
Yes they start out sharp but I could make a sardine can lid shaving sharp too but I can't make it hold an edge for very long,
I can skin and cape a moose with 3, $5.00 Henckel paring knives but I can also skin and cape a moose with one descent, reasonably priced blade.
I've tried replaceable blade knives and they suck compared to a reasonably priced solid fixed blade.

I can have a good quality knife skin and cape more than one moose with a little touch of a steel.

If all you do is gut and skin the odd deer a havalon will work.
Hell, a $2 dollar box cutter will work.
If you skin and flesh multiple animals on a regular basis, you will learn what is the most efficient and most economical.
Sharpening is not rocket science whether it is a knife, chain saw and ice auger.
Old 12-31-2021, 10:24 PM

I have so many skinning knives amd that includes three handmade customs $$$. For sure Grohman is my favourite designed knives.
Old 12-31-2021, 10:41 PM

Spyderco stretch 2, on sale now at warriors and wonders for 130$

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
Old 12-31-2021, 10:59 PM

So far my fav is the Knives of Alaska elk hunter. The D2 steel stays sharp for a long time
"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!" 1935-Adolf Hitler
Old 12-31-2021, 11:19 PM

I tried all kinds of skinning knives for trapping/hunting even had some nice custom sets and I got rid of them all

Scalpel for fine work and cheap exacto knives for basic big game skinning is all I use now

They may not be pretty knives to show off but I have not found a better alternative yet
Old 12-31-2021, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
Mora, under $30 most places.
My current choice
Old 12-31-2021, 11:58 PM

https://www.benchmade.com/hidden-can...mily-hunt.html

My buddy has this one, I love it ..... may splurge on one as well ...

I am currently using a Victorinox - I'm pretty sure it's around $50 and has moderate to soft steel which is nice when you re-touch it (very easy to touch up) and keep going with a razor sharp blade.

The Victorinox blade is larger/longer, but I like that as it seems you can keep control much better I find - the smaller blade is better for around the shanks but, then again around the legs it's not that critical.

https://www.amazon.ca/Victorinox-Ski...019690&sr=8-44