Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-10-2022, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.C. Gusto View Post
I’d like to know about the D2 and corrosion also. My bench made D2 knife rusted after one day in the field and that was the reason my last 2 customs I chose a different steel.
Corrosion on any steel is "Man Made".

When not used, they need to be properly stored.

When used, prior to storage, they need to be properly cleaned/dried.

Many will put them back in their sheaths not cleaned. Blood is your worst enemy...just saying...
Old 01-10-2022, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McCracken View Post
Corrosion on any steel is "Man Made".

When not used, they need to be properly stored.

When used, prior to storage, they need to be properly cleaned/dried.

Many will put them back in their sheaths not cleaned. Blood is your worst enemy...just saying...

I agree with the exception of lc200n and possibly magnacut. The lc200n I have experience with and the steel can’t rust due to the nitrogen bonding with the carbon.

My boat knife is lc200n and it lives on the bait board right here

I only ever wash it with fresh water when I’m going to sharpen it. Here it is right now from the fishing trip the other day. Still covered in fish blood and saltwater.

And after a quick rinse.

Old 01-10-2022, 08:57 PM

I order a Crotts Semi skinner that was for sale on the Arizona Custom Knives website. It’s out of CTS-XHP steel not the D2, so hopefully he has the heat treatment figured out. Should be an upgrade if so.

I really didn’t know I needed another knife, buts thanks to this thread I realized I I do. I’ll have to cull the herd here…….
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Semi-Skinner Arizona Custom Knives.pdf (352.0 KB, 47 views)
Old 01-10-2022, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Chuck

I agree and I think you a right about it being one of each in his hand. The Dozier is a flat grind and has a flatter spine. I actually like the convex spine on the Crotts and the hollow ground blade. The edge shapes however are very close to my eye.

I see coiloil was posting at the same time. Really looking forward to trying the new knife out on game.
Did you figure out what handle you wanted?
Old 01-10-2022, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken3134 View Post
I order a Crotts Semi skinner that was for sale on the Arizona Custom Knives website. It’s out of CTS-XHP steel not the D2, so hopefully he has the heat treatment figured out. Should be an upgrade if so.

I really didn’t know I needed another knife, buts thanks to this thread I realized I I do. I’ll have to cull the herd here…….
Crazy nice, Ken. Congrats. Pics when you get er.
Old 01-10-2022, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken3134 View Post

He will have it sorted. CTS-XHP is the PM version of D2 which gives you a cleaner, finer grained steel with smaller carbides. I’ve never used it but from everything I’ve read it should be better then ingot d2.

Congrats on the knife, you should be very happy with it.
Old 01-10-2022, 09:31 PM

So this thread got me talking to Clint and ordering a knife, the sharpening one has me drooling over sharpening hardware and the youth one had me grab a 223 for the 12 yr old to graduate out of rimfires to…….

If anybody starts a thread about new pickups before Rona isolations end I’m going to end up divorced
Old 01-11-2022, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Did you figure out what handle you wanted?
This is pretty pretty much exactly what I ordered. Semi Skinner, so slightly different blade shape to this one, D2 steel, single finger groove, stag handles.

Blade shape with Desert Iron Wood handles and no finger groove

Same but with much plainer wood.

Last edited by Dean2; 01-11-2022 at 11:37 AM.
Old 01-11-2022, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
So this thread got me talking to Clint and ordering a knife, the sharpening one has me drooling over sharpening hardware and the youth one had me grab a 223 for the 12 yr old to graduate out of rimfires to…….

If anybody starts a thread about new pickups before Rona isolations end I’m going to end up divorced
You are just getting started. May as well just give in. Next step is a hunting caliber for your 12 year old. Plus a hunting knife.
Old 01-11-2022, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
This is pretty pretty much exactly what I ordered. Semi Skinner, so slightly different blade shape to this one, D2 steel, single finger groove, stag handles.

Blade shape with Desert Iron Wood handles and no finger groove

So the straight hunter handle on a semi skinner blade? My old straight hunter is on the bottom here.

I found stag and ivory to be heavy. I always did a tapered tang on knives I had built to offset its effect.

One of these days I’ll take the boys a little bit south and shoot a sambar stag with them. Send part of the antler to Dan and have him build me three matched knives.
Old 01-11-2022, 06:10 PM

Dean, I’m not saying your choice of handle is wrong. I’m not inferring that you should rethink either. Just showing this as a bit of humour. Loveless’s demeanour reminds me so much of how my grandfather was (now you know where I get it from) I had to chuckle at this.

Start watching at 54:50

https://youtu.be/_kV3kHo6z_c

-Billy Molls

Last edited by Pathfinder76; 01-11-2022 at 06:18 PM.
Old 01-11-2022, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Dean, I’m not saying your choice of handle is wrong. I’m not inferring that you should rethink either. Just showing this as a bit of humour. Loveless’s demeanour reminds me so much of how my grandfather was (now you know where I get it from) I had to chuckle at this.

Well Bobs entitled to his opinion like anyone else. Idk, if you like stag handles go for it. They are more expensive and add to the price of the knife, also seems like they have more tendency to chip.
Old 01-11-2022, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post

No offence taken as for sure none was intended. I have this little weak spot, I like my tools to be completely functional and look really pretty at the same time. I know dam well you have it too, just from the rifles you have built and carry.

This really has been a great thread. I would bet a ton of knives and sharpeners got sold because of it. Purchase mentoring at it's best.
Old 01-11-2022, 09:40 PM

Mora !!!
Old 01-17-2022, 05:53 PM

Bump. Anyone have any new knives to show off. :-)

-Billy Molls
Old 01-17-2022, 06:26 PM

Default Knife

Looking forward to see this thread continue. Enjoyed it a lot.
Old 01-17-2022, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurly View Post
Looking forward to see this thread continue. Enjoyed it a lot.

Absolutely, my choice for the best recent thread.
Old 01-17-2022, 08:17 PM

Default Knife

Somebody must have gotten a new knife. Show it off please.
Old 01-18-2022, 01:11 AM

Since no takers, I will do an “old” knife:

Old 01-18-2022, 04:32 AM

Default Knife

Very nice.
Old 01-18-2022, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurly View Post
Somebody must have gotten a new knife. Show it off please.
Here's a few that I made for family and friends. Someday I'll make one for myself and try to keep it...!

I mostly use CPM 154, S30V or S35VN bar stock and do my own heat treating. Sent 6 treated blanks away for Rc testing to prove / check my process. They all came back in the Rc60 range +/- .5 point. I don't cryogenically treat but do stick the blanks in the freezer which is giving me another .3 to .6 Rc points and a bit more toughness. After heat treating I do a brass rod test and chop a 2x4 with each knife to prove each blade before I put a handle on it.

1. for my sons girlfriend - S30V, 8" OAL, 3 3/4" blade, spalted maple scales, copper bolster & pins (her request). She's used it on grouse, ducks & geese.

2. for one of my best friends - CPM 154, 8 1/4", 3 3/4" blade, California Buckeye burl scales, stainless bolster & pins. He's never used it on an animal.

3. for my son - S30V, 7 1/4" oal, 3 3/8" blade, Amboyna Burl scales, stainless bolster with nickel silver pins. This one has seen a lot of use on multiple deer & and a moose, plus used as a camp knife. Sent it out for heat treating before I started and it came back at Rc 61.5. Took quite a while to put an edge on, but the edge lasts a long time and he doesn't wait till it's dull to touch up the edge.

4. for a friend and former co-worker - S35VN, 9 1/4" oal, 4 1/4" blade, African Blackwood scales w/ red liners, stainless bolster & pins. He has used it on multiple animals and also uses it as a camp knife.

5. this one I donated to a fundraising raffle - CPM 154, 9 1/2" oal, 4 1/4" blade, hidden tang construction, AAA Franquette Walnut handle, stainless steel guard & pins
Old 01-18-2022, 05:52 PM

Now we are talking!

Great job, WinFwt! Good looking knives, man!
Old 01-18-2022, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinFwt View Post
Here's a few that I made for family and friends. Someday I'll make one for myself and try to keep it...!

I mostly use CPM 154, S30V or S35VN bar stock and do my own heat treating. Sent 6 treated blanks away for Rc testing to prove / check my process. They all came back in the Rc60 range +/- .5 point. I don't cryogenically treat but do stick the blanks in the freezer which is giving me another .3 to .6 Rc points and a bit more toughness. After heat treating I do a brass rod test and chop a 2x4 with each knife to prove each blade before I put a handle on it.

1. for my sons girlfriend - S30V, 8" OAL, 3 3/4" blade, spalted maple scales, copper bolster & pins (her request). She's used it on grouse, ducks & geese.

2. for one of my best friends - CPM 154, 8 1/4", 3 3/4" blade, California Buckeye burl scales, stainless bolster & pins. He's never used it on an animal.

3. for my son - S30V, 7 1/4" oal, 3 3/8" blade, Amboyna Burl scales, stainless bolster with nickel silver pins. This one has seen a lot of use on multiple deer & and a moose, plus used as a camp knife. Sent it out for heat treating before I started and it came back at Rc 61.5. Took quite a while to put an edge on, but the edge lasts a long time and he doesn't wait till it's dull to touch up the edge.

4. for a friend and former co-worker - S35VN, 9 1/4" oal, 4 1/4" blade, African Blackwood scales w/ red liners, stainless bolster & pins. He has used it on multiple animals and also uses it as a camp knife.

5. this one I donated to a fundraising raffle - CPM 154, 9 1/2" oal, 4 1/4" blade, hidden tang construction, AAA Franquette Walnut handle, stainless steel guard & pins
Beautiful.........how do I get on the list
Old 01-18-2022, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody j View Post
My current choice
My current choice as well. If I had $200 if by a Mora and a nice bottle of scotch.
Old 01-18-2022, 09:28 PM

Watching a pro trapper skinning coyotes and the knife they are using is $7... didn't register a brand name.
"Placed correctly Swift A-Frames will reliably kill big bears. So will North Forks, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Kodiaks, Woodleighs, GS soft points, Hornady Interbonds and Speer Grand Slams - and if I missed your favorite bullet -it probably will too.
It's time to go hunting and quit all this ballistic masturbation."

Phil Shoemaker
Old 01-18-2022, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonical View Post
Watching a pro trapper skinning coyotes and the knife they are using is $7... didn't register a brand name.
And no tears if they lose it.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 01-18-2022, 10:52 PM

Some more made in USA Old Timers. I know they were never what one would consider a premium knife but they were a good quality blade made for the working stiff. Not to be confused with the new Chinese imposters sold in blister pacs today.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-18-2022, 10:57 PM

My dads old skinning knife, Ideal products made in Germany; Solingen. Very cool old blade that was used back in a time when you had a hunting knife. not 25 hunting knives
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-18-2022, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
My dads old skinning knife, Ideal products made in Germany; Solingen. Very cool old blade that was used back in a time when you had a hunting knife. not 25 hunting knives
[IMG][/IMG]
That's a very cool looking knife JB ,priceless .

JD
Old 01-18-2022, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
That's a very cool looking knife JB ,priceless .

JD
Thanks , yes definitely a treasure to me.