Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-29-2007, 12:40 PM
nube

Default crossing borders with guns

I am leaving to go to Africa in June and I do not have my gun Registered. I did not ever want to register it but I guess I have no choice or I won't be able to get to Africa and back. I have tried to do a search on here with limited success on how to get it Registered. What needs to be done and how long will it take?
Maybe it would be good to put a sticky on this type of info as well because I bet I am the 5 millioneth person to ask this question.
Thanks.
Old 01-29-2007, 01:41 PM
Rackmastr

Contact the CFC and you'll find all the paperwork you'll need.....

www.cfc.gc.ca

Does your flight stop in the US? That can make a difference from what I've heard from African outfitters. In that case, you'll have to have a Form 6 from the ATF as well....it can get a bit tricky if thats the case.....
Old 01-29-2007, 03:29 PM
Okotokian

If you can get over the principle of the thing, registering is actually pretty easy. I did it for an old 303 my mother-in-law had in the attic. Piece of cake.
Old 01-29-2007, 05:41 PM
HUNTNUT

Just phone the firearms center and have your make, model, caliber and barrel length handy and they can do it right over the phone.
Old 01-29-2007, 05:48 PM
getasheep

Default link

www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca/online...tion_e.asp
Old 01-29-2007, 08:23 PM
Jamie Hunt

Default Re: link

I would guess you could get it out of the country but getting it back in might be a different story.
Perhaps Rack could tell us more. Actually Dad is down in Arizona right now with his Shotgun. He got a form 6 but the registration from Canada never arivied until after he left. Rack do you think this will be a problem??
Thanks
Jamie
Old 01-29-2007, 09:56 PM
Rackmastr

Yep...it will be a problem...or at least cause him more troubles than he wants. Get him the form, or at least be ready to fax it to him at Customs. Its a hassle if someone does not carry their registration slip, and its actually the law. So....if you're entering Canada with a firearm, you need your registration certificate with you....

Customs can call and verify that the firearm is registered, but if you dont have the certificate on you, its about the same as not carrying your DL....
Old 01-30-2007, 03:25 AM
Jamie Hunt

Rack, thats what I thought he is down south for another 8 weeks. I will send it down to him. It was quicker to get a form 6 than it was to get the paper from the Gov of Canada...

Jamie
Old 01-30-2007, 07:39 AM
gun reg.

Default gun reg.

it might be easier to use/ rent a gun from your outfitter.
and cheapper aswell. id rather use my own but its something to think on
Old 02-01-2007, 11:08 AM
razadp

Default Re: gun reg.

Guides guns are a good way to go if he's a pro.

I used a guides .338 Mag in Australia for buffalo, pig, (and a dingo).

This guide was happy to supply a handful of ammo for sight testing / practice, etc.

I had a poor experience with a different guide in NZ. He supplied a gun but no range to sight test and practice. I missed a long shot at a nice pig. Turns out he sighted in for 100 yds with a scoped .308. gotta ask WTF ??
Old 02-02-2007, 06:02 PM
7 REM MAG

Default Re: gun reg.

i sight in for 1" high with my scoped 7MM